Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #81
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictheobscene
Do you really think Justin and co. wouldn't have had this done already if Avid / Mackie were open about this. You need to be beating down their door and telling them to give the Reaper guys or one of the many awesome independent developers who make add-ons for Reaper the support they need
No need to be beating down any doors, as I stated a few posts up from here:

Quote:
The EuCon project is actually already underway
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #82
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Does the post room:

have a PC based system -- preferably Win 7 64 bit ?

the interest to do some beta testing ?

the down time to do so ?

the fortitude, this thing has been known to BSOD occasionally
currently mac.
Nick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #83
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictheobscene View Post
OK mate, you get a hold of the protocol SDK's and you and all of your pro buddies work through your massive pro channels to insure that we get the support we need from them. Because I am going to be honest with you, the manufacturers are a bunch of cock suckers when it comes to this. They want to protect their precious market share and do it by creating proprietary shit and only sharing it with people they deem as 'professional' enough.

You're beating the right drum in front of the wrong audience. Do you really think Justin and co. wouldn't have had this done already if Avid / Mackie were open about this. You need to be beating down their door and telling them to give the Reaper guys or one of the many awesome independent developers who make add-ons for Reaper the support they need.

I don't give a fuck what they think. If they are so closed-minded and snobbish that they write off an entire application as a toy over something so silly, then it's their loss.

There is nothing stopping the pros from using it except their own lack of creativity. It's their choice whether they want to use Reaper or another package; more power to them either way. But, don't be laying that shit at Reaper's door; it's on them. If someone really, really wants to use Reaper, they are going to make it work.

I know all the pros like to get together and stroke each other's ego, have a circle jerk, etc. Hey, whatever works for you. But, when you use the word 'rapid pipeline production' in relation to any form of art, in my mind that puts you in the same category as Perez Hilton.

Do you think that DaVinci whined to someone that his paintbrush didn't have rapid pipeline production capabilities or that it didn't mesh with his workflow when he was painting the Mona Lisa? Music is art, and when you treat it like you're making mass produced widgets, then you destroy the quality. Then again, I suppose that is what makes someone a 'pro'.
Its clear that you don't have the same needs as others in regards to control surfaces. As its been stated by others, Reapers lack of support DOES turn people off. There may very well be clever workarounds for this shortcoming, but I can tell you from experience( I have tried to get our post room to use Reaper) that people value a solid workflow integration very highly and stepping backwards for anything less than total and complete intuitive integration is not welcome. We have this solution in pro tools and their control surfaces. I for one like using Reaper much more and try to use it whenever possible. Eucon would help bridge this large gap by giving more people the option of using Reaper instead of having to use pro tools merely for control surface workflow integration.

Much of the work that is done on the control surfaces that use Eucon is not necessarily music. Not everything has to be art.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #84
airon

I do wonder how EuCon actually works. From what I've been able to tell it may be :

Application <-> EuCon Server <-> Hardware

Application sends status updates and receives controller data and keyboard shortcuts from the server.

The server updates all the hardware displays, moves the faders and interprets the controller information for the current target application. The units are probably mostly completely dumb, with the server doing all the work, at least on the Mix unit. All the "Control" unit configuration seems to happen on the server application, AFAIK.

I am exceptionally curious whether or not people can create custom layouts for parameteres, of a track for example. I really love the custom plugin maps for the Avid Icon D-Command/Control units. Don't know whether that's possible with EuCon. There, you can choose a plugin and have the parameters appear on the 'custom fader' area of your console that you've designated. That custom area is used for VCAs, splits, spills and quite a bit more. The Artist Mix unit only has 8 faders, but that would be something fierce if I could dedicate four or eight fader strips of a two-unit setup to such a custom job.

For example, I might want to keep a custom group that has no interdependant links going on, but only exists so I can access and display this group in my custom area, such as the bus faders of my signal groups, or the drums and so on. Or VCAs(one day) are shown and I say "show me the members of that VCA fader". All that is called a group spill.

With proper feedback (like a well designed OSC surface actually), EuCon might be the most wicked thing for mixing folks, and editors to boot.

Xmas is early this year.

Last edited by airon; 04-27-2013 at 03:12 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #85
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
I do wonder how EuCon actually works
You may have run into this in your travels, it is a very good source.

http://www.avid.com/static//resource...aper_oct06.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
I am exceptionally curious whether or not people can create custom layouts for parameteres, of a track for example. I really love the custom plugin maps for the Avid Icon D-Command/Control units. Don't know whether that's possible with EuCon. There, you can choose a plugin and have the parameters appear on the 'custom fader' area of your console that you've designated
Custom plugin maps are supported.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #86
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris
currently mac
Cool, would you be interested in some testing when the Mac version is ready for beta ?

Didn't imagine a System 5 testbed would be in the cards
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #87
Driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I do wonder how EuCon actually works. From what I've been able to tell it may be :

Application <-> EuCon Server <-> Hardware

Application sends status updates and receives controller data and keyboard shortcuts from the server.

The server updates all the hardware displays, moves the faders and interprets the controller information for the current target application. The units are probably mostly completely dumb, with the server doing all the work, at least on the Mix unit. All the "Control" unit configuration seems to happen on the server application, AFAIK.

I am exceptionally curious whether or not people can create custom layouts for parameteres, of a track for example. I really love the custom plugin maps for the Avid Icon D-Command/Control units. Don't know whether that's possible with EuCon. There, you can choose a plugin and have the parameters appear on the 'custom fader' area of your console that you've designated. That custom area is used for VCAs, splits, spills and quite a bit more. The Artist Mix unit only has 8 faders, but that would be something fierce if I could dedicate four or eight fader strips of a two-unit setup to such a custom job.

For example, I might want to keep a custom group that has no interdependant links going on, but only exists so I can access and display this group in my custom area, such as the bus faders of my signal groups, or the drums and so on. Or VCAs(one day) are shown and I say "show me the members of that VCA fader". All that is called a group spill.

With proper feedback (like a well designed OSC surface actually), EuCon might be the most wicked thing for mixing folks, and editors to boot.

Xmas is early this year.
I'd bet that we'll see these features (custom fader groups, PI mapping, etc.) rolled into EuCon. Avid is likely to release new surfaces in the not too distant future, and it seems pretty clear that EuCon is the way forward. Now, if we could get VCA faders in Reaper...
Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #88
Nick Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Cool, would you be interested in some testing when the Mac version is ready for beta ?

Didn't imagine a System 5 testbed would be in the cards
Would love to.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #89
sambosun

Default Tremedous

You guys are doing a tremendous work here. Now that EUCON gets a treatment I can't wait to participate in beta testing on the Mac side. I'm using artist mix series controllers and started diving into reaper a while ago. With the help of Kenny's videos it was a blast to learn some essentials and tricks.

Now that eucon seems a reality with reaper I will invest in it.

Good job

Sam
sambosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #90
airon

Head right on over to this thread.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122509

Goeff keeps the link to the test version in his signature. You may want to jump straight to the last post.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote