Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
eric90000
Human being with feelings

that looks great!
eric90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
Arbiter

It looks like it'll be pretty cool for a lot of people, but I don't think it's going to be a game changer.. especially at $2499.
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Chris Martins

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=72597

Well the AES50 integration for one is awesome. And if the pres, conversion and QC are good, at that price, it's just a steal...
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Schmidty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=72597

Well the AES50 integration for one is awesome. And if the pres, conversion and QC are good, at that price, it's just a steal...
In my experience pres and QC are Behringer's weak points. The last Behringer mixer I used, you could turn a pre all the way up, then run the fader up and use it as a white noise generator (really not kidding), until the "tape in" crapped out and started buzzing (about 6 months).
I used to work for an equipment manufacturer (who has already been mentioned in this thread), and as anyone who has tried to build thier own FX pedals or Pres or anything like that, good componants cost good money. There are not many ways around that. I would be very skeptical.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
RichardM

Frankly, I would have been more excited to see a 24 track control surface only ... like 3 BCF2000s in one long case. A BCF2000 is only worth $200. I'm sure they could put together a 24 track model for $400 or so. How many people have connected (or tried to connect) three BCF2000s to their DAW?
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
It looks like it'll be pretty cool for a lot of people, but I don't think it's going to be a game changer.. especially at $2499.
that's the whole point. that's why it's a game changer. it's like... 1/5th of the cost of any other console with that much functionality.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
MesS!er35

it looks really interesting. but it is not going to be a surface controller also, is it? "just" a standard
mix console ?

yea, it looks really great! and for that price? i'm wondering how are this dynamics and EQs on board?
MesS!er35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
yep

Looks very similar in concept to the Presonus StudioLive consoles, a hybrid software/hardware console with comprehensive processing on a one-channel-at-a-time basis.

$2500 is not a bad price at all for the capability, but I would not want to be an early adopter of a piece of Behringer kit at that price. I'm not religiously anti-Behringer, but in my experience the quality of their preamps, interconnects, and so on is spotty. Behringer gets widely derided as cheap junk, but in my experience their biggest problems are not with sound quality per se, but build quality, which trickles down into sound quality. Noisy pots, spotty connections, poor shielding, etc.

Especially for a device like this, with a lot of complexity and moving parts, I would very much want to hear how it held up after a year or two of live venue use. $2500 is frankly a great price just for 32 competent preamps and an automated control surface alone. But if those preamps are going to get scratchy/noisy/muffled, if the automated faders are going to get spotty/sticky, etc, then quantity starts to become meaningless, especially in studio applications. Better to spend $2500 on a good 2-channel preamp that can be easily re-sold for $2200 than spend $2500 on a million channels of dirty, noisy, unreliable sound with a bunch of digital functionality that will be obsolete in 2013.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
jeffersonhills

Default meh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
that's the whole point. that's why it's a game changer. it's like... 1/5th of the cost of any other console with that much functionality.
For the extra 500 you can get a Presonus... Much better. Plus, Presonus is made in the states where you can actually get awesome support almost literally one state over from guys who actually use the gear daily.

If you need more than 24 channels, you won't be worried about a price tag, IMHO.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
pbenjamins

Default Regarding Motorized Faders / Single Channel Strip

Just a few comments regarding:
1). Motorized faders, the ones on the TASCAM DM-24, which is an obsolete console (and why I am looking at what is next), are very quiet. The noise is equivalent to moving the faders by themselves. For example, at power up, the faders go through a calibration phase, and the only noise is that of all the faders going up and down. If you could move all faders at once, it would make the same noise. Also the speed of the fader movement is much faster than you can move the fader manually.
2). Having one channel strip for EQ, assignments, aux sends, etc. works fine "almost" all of the time. There are times when in a panic(example feedback), one forgets what fader layer is on top, or what electronic patching has been set up. Or one starts to tweak an EQ on the wrong input. It happens, but I guess if I were starting at a gaggle of knobs, I might tweak the wrong strip as well.

In gereral, I would not go back to straight analog boards as the tonal control, presets, and flexibility of providing 24 track live recording, a house mix, and four (or more) monitor mixes from one console is just amazing (oh also without mouse clicking and cursing). Nothing like having hardware under your fingers!

pbenjamins
pbenjamins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
bbgunn

I bought a Behringer X32 earlier this week and I have to say it is awesome... It works flawlessly with Reaper in remote mode and I was pleasantly surprised by how functional and easy it is to use.

In remote mode, the 8 submix faders operate the faders in Reaper with a bank button that allows you to control faders higher than channel 8 (9-16, 17-24, 25-32, etc...). It can control Reaper's channel mutes and solos, record enable / disable, transport controls - stop, play, rew, ffwd, rec. When you change your channel names in Reaper, it changes the names to match in the scribble strips above each channel on the X32. The 32 channel audio interface is built in and can be connected to the computer either with firewire or USB.

Some people have been complaining why they don't use the 16 channel faders on the left in remote mode, but personally I like having the DAW controls separate from the audio channels so I can make EQ adjustments on the fly.

Keep in mind that I have owned an Alesis Master Control, an Allen and Heath Zed R16, a Tascam DM3200 and this thing beats them all easily. All those other devices were sold on ebay to make room for this...

Also, don't let the complainers tell you it's cheaply made, plastic or whatever... The only thing that is plastic on this is the two side pieces (which is thick and sturdy) and the faceplate over the lcd screen. Everything else is metal, including the top faceplate of the console.

It was easy to set up. I have a windows 7 64 bit pc. I just enabled the mackie control on the X32, added a mackie control under preferences / control surfaces in Reaper, enabled the 32 firewire audio channels and that was it.

The only glitch I had was a problem with my PC, not the X32. You need to roll back the Windows 7 iEEE 1394 drivers to the legacy drivers (which are included with Win7). It was a 2 minute fix, see here:
http://www.studio1productions.com/Ar...Firewire-1.htm

The preamps are designed by Midas, and the design of the X32 looks very Midas-like. It was primarily designed for live use so I would imagine it would work very well for that as well.

I've only had it for 5 days, but so far I'm liking it.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
Jeronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
I bought a Behringer X32 earlier this week and I have to say it is awesome... It works flawlessly with Reaper in remote mode and I was pleasantly surprised by how functional and easy it is to use.

In remote mode, the 8 submix faders operate the faders in Reaper with a bank button that allows you to control faders higher than channel 8 (9-16, 17-24, 25-32, etc...). It can control Reaper's channel mutes and solos, record enable / disable, transport controls - stop, play, rew, ffwd, rec. When you change your channel names in Reaper, it changes the names to match in the scribble strips above each channel on the X32. The 32 channel audio interface is built in and can be connected to the computer either with firewire or USB.

Some people have been complaining why they don't use the 16 channel faders on the left in remote mode, but personally I like having the DAW controls separate from the audio channels so I can make EQ adjustments on the fly.

Keep in mind that I have owned an Alesis Master Control, an Allen and Heath Zed R16, a Tascam DM3200 and this thing beats them all easily. All those other devices were sold on ebay to make room for this...

Also, don't let the complainers tell you it's cheaply made, plastic or whatever... The only thing that is plastic on this is the two side pieces (which is thick and sturdy) and the faceplate over the lcd screen. Everything else is metal, including the top faceplate of the console.

It was easy to set up. I have a windows 7 64 bit pc. I just enabled the mackie control on the X32, added a mackie control under preferences / control surfaces in Reaper, enabled the 32 firewire audio channels and that was it.

The only glitch I had was a problem with my PC, not the X32. You need to roll back the Windows 7 iEEE 1394 drivers to the legacy drivers (which are included with Win7). It was a 2 minute fix, see here:

The preamps are designed by Midas, and the design of the X32 looks very Midas-like. It was primarily designed for live use so I would imagine it would work very well for that as well.

Tell me more about the usability when mixing back to the console.

I know you have the 8 "VCA" faders, and those faders control Reaper's faders.

But since the console is 32 i/o thru firewire, how do you "bank" the faders on the left?

Can you have the faders on the left showing let's say: channels 17-32 and the "VCA" faders showing 8-16? How does it work? Because this can be a mess while using the console.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
bbgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
Tell me more about the usability when mixing back to the console.

I know you have the 8 "VCA" faders, and those faders control Reaper's faders.

But since the console is 32 i/o thru firewire, how do you "bank" the faders on the left?

Can you have the faders on the left showing let's say: channels 17-32 and the "VCA" faders showing 8-16? How does it work? Because this can be a mess while using the console.

Yes, you have a button for the left faders for channels 1-16 and another button for channels 17-32. For the right submix faders you have 4 buttons for DCA 1-8, submix 1-8, submix 9-16, and matrix 1-6. When you choose remote, those same four buttons turn to DCA 1-8, bank select/channel select, record enable, and transport control.

So you can be viewing audio channels 17-32 on the left and controlling Reaper channels 17-24 on the right (or 1-8, or 9-16 etc... whatever you want).

The "bank" controls are simply two arrows - one pointing left and one pointing right. If you are viewing 1-8 and push the right arrow button it moves over to 9-16, push it again for 17-24 etc..., left arrow button to go back. The motorized faders jump to whatever you have set on the Reaper mix screen for those channels.

Here's an image of the controls
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/ite...X32-xlarge.jpg

Last edited by bbgunn; 09-13-2012 at 08:15 AM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
dubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post

I have done all of the above, but X32 doesn't control Reaper or any audio passed into X32 from Reaper ???
Old 10-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Jeronimo

I think you're doing something wrong...
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #17
BassInYoFace

Default I own the X32 and it controls Reaper!!!

I bought the X32 about a year ago, it has been a pure pleasure to work with. It is a game changer, it took me from being semi to pro mixing capabilies with full automation.

See vid http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_videos/682408
BassInYoFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
BassInYoFace

Default I own the X32 and it controls Reaper!!!

I bought the X32 about a year ago, it has been a pure pleasure to work with. It is a game changer, it took me from being semi to pro mixing capabilies with full automation.

See vid http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_videos/682408
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
BassInYoFace

Default My Behringer X32 and Reaper

I just bought this board and folk's...IT'S ALL THAT AND A BAG'O effing CHIPS!!!!

I looked at the offering of England's SSL at almost 6000USD and wanted it bad.

Somehow I just could not see spending what seems to equivalent to a good

used car, just to sit there on my desk and control Reaper. Then I saw the

X32 and instantly it was a match...I ordered immediately from Musician's

Friend, for even less than the going street price and the guy even waived

the shipping to Hawaii!!!! and gave me the extended warranty in place $199 value

THIS IS THE GAME CHANGER OF THE DECADE!!!!!

See It Here, sitting on MY desk!!! WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Own...c/359539547159

Last edited by BassInYoFace; 11-07-2012 at 03:07 PM.