Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
studio1602
Human being with feelings

Default 4.71 vs MIDI Devices?

I'm running REAPER 4.71 on Windows 7 32-bit, with ASIO4ALL 2.10.

So everything is fine with 4.70, and I upgrade to 4.71. I start up a project and set to work, and I have no sound. ?!

Some investigation reveals that if I have a MIDI Device enabled, then I get no sound. To illustrate, say I have three tracks: track 1 is an audio track, track 2 is a MIDI track playing on a VST synth, and track 3 is being sent to a MIDI device. Track 3 plays back through the MIDI device fine, but I get no sound from tracks 1 and 2. Disable the MIDI device and restart REAPER. Now I have sound from tracks 1 and 2, but no sound (of course) from track 3. Also, if I switch the audio output to WaveOut or DirectSound, everything works as it should (sound from all three tracks).

I haven't used MIDI devices in a while, but I recall I did have it working in an older version of REAPER, using the ASIO drivers. Nothing has changed on my system. Has something has changed in REAPER? Maybe a new setting that needs to be toggled? Or is this an ASIO problem?

Any insight welcome.
studio1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hi,

Can you try 4.7 again and confirm that the behavior changed between 4.7 and 4.71? Or was it 4.62 and 4.71?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
studio1602

Hi, I installed portable versions of 4.62 and 4.7, and both have the same behavior I describe above. I tested using the MS GS Wavetable Synth as the MIDI Device.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

MSGSWT synth is stealing the audio device from REAPER on Vista and higher unless you turn off Window's audio "exclusive mode" and abandon ASIO. But it's not really worth bothering, it's not meant or apt for usage with a DAW host software for many reasons.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
studio1602

Don't worry, I know the MSGSWT is not for any serious usage; I was just using it as a quick-and-easy test device.

I think your reply contains the answer, though. I wasn't aware that MSGSWT steals the audio device on Vista and higher, but when I hear this, I'm pretty sure that the MIDI device I'm trying to use is doing the same thing. Not a problem then, there are other tools I can use.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

If that other "MIDI device" is actually a software synth running on the same computer (but not within REAPER as a plug-in) again (just like the MS synth) then yes. What is it?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
studio1602

Yes, you have the right of it, it is indeed a software synth running on the same computer, but not within REAPER. It is Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth (http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth). I'm evaluating it as an alternative to SFZ, and other soundfont players.