Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
overbybr
Human being with feelings

Default New Reaper User - 1st Live Recording Static/Crackle

I've done some searching and asking (outside this forum) with regard to my question, but to be honest I'm new to Reaper, to recording, and I would like to have an answer for my band sooner rather than later. This is probably not the right sub-forum for this question, so mods feel free to move it to the correct one.

I have a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, a 2009 Toshiba Portege, a Startech (T.I. Chipset) Firewire card, and I'm running Reaper 4.6.1.

I recorded my band's last show with this configuration and about 30 minutes into the recording a static/crackle started (see the link below at the 1.56 mark). By the end of the show (3hrs) the static/crackle was more prominent. It's across all channels (meaning if I mute a particular input signal it doesn't go away). I'm using the ASIO driver options in Reaper on defaults, and my suspicion is that I need to adjust buffers sizes. I was also running Presonus Universal Control so that my band could adjust their Aux mixes as they needed without having to ask me to turn a channel up or down in their monitors. Help and guidance is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/brandon-overb...uxp-cp-19jul14
overbybr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
edkilp

That sounds like a bad cable to me. The fact that it starts from out of the blue leads me to believe that. I'd start by checking the cables from your mixer to your interface.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
Andy Hamm

Id say you are correct, increase the buffer in the asio driver on the laptop. The x32 does the same thing, works ok for a bit and then static. Adjusting the buffer on the pc should not affect latency elsewhere in the system so you can be liberal with it.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #4
overbybr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
Id say you are correct, increase the buffer in the asio driver on the laptop. The x32 does the same thing, works ok for a bit and then static. Adjusting the buffer on the pc should not affect latency elsewhere in the system so you can be liberal with it.
This would be on the configuration page under "Buffering", no? Because when I select the "ASIO Configuration" button on the "Playback" page, nothing happens (perhaps this version of Reaper doesn't utilize that function???).

So on the "buffering" page, what do I change? Thread count, thread priority? Do I go into the Device I/O?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
mete0r

I think he's talking about the "request block size" setting, if you want to try in the meantime, but I'd wait for him to be sure.
mete0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr View Post
This would be on the configuration page under "Buffering", no? Because when I select the "ASIO Configuration" button on the "Playback" page, nothing happens (perhaps this version of Reaper doesn't utilize that function???).

So on the "buffering" page, what do I change? Thread count, thread priority? Do I go into the Device I/O?
It is normally under the ASIO device settings, if you don't get them from Reapers ASIO config, try whatever app came with the driver.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
overbybr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete0r View Post
I think he's talking about the "request block size" setting, if you want to try in the meantime, but I'd wait for him to be sure.
Currently the default for this is not enabled. "256" is entered into the field at the right, but it's not enabled. Should I adjust this up to 512 or 1024 after enabling the check box?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
overbybr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
It is normally under the ASIO device settings, if you don't get them from Reapers ASIO config, try whatever app came with the driver.
The "ASIO Configuration" button under the "Device" tab does nothing when I select it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr View Post
The "ASIO Configuration" button under the "Device" tab does nothing when I select it.
that may or may not be an aspect of your audio interface... some of them require that you check a box to allow the DAW to change those settings.

also try 1024 and see if the noise goes away... if yes, try 512... you'll know what to do after that...

higher numbers mean more latency so just find the happy medium