Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
plgrmsprgrs
Human being with feelings

Default How does one access 3/4 outs on Komplete Audio?

The manual is not all that helpful regarding this issue. I'm trying to run a second set of monitors from the 3/4 outs. I realize there is no hardware control for volume. But I've found it difficult to get any signal out of 3/4 at all. The only option I've found so far is to go in and manually select 3/4 in audio preferences. This, however, shuts down 1/2 out. Any Komplete Audio 6 users out there have a handle on this?

Kyle
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
lowest form

You can just set up a new output for 3/4 on the master channel. I just did this with my Komplete 6 and it worked fine.
Attached Images
File Type: png 34.PNG (19.8 KB, 2649 views)

Last edited by lowest form; 03-13-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: trying to attach an image
lowest form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
plgrmsprgrs

lowest - thanks for the lead. I've never needed any routing aside from basic busses, so this is proving to be a challenge to get a handle on. When I open the I/O on the master track, I see 3/4 as a source option but not for destination. Everything I've turned up in my searches seems to assume that a 3/4 destination option is already present. What am I missing?

Kyle
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Rogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowest form View Post
You can just set up a new output for 3/4 on the master channel. I just did this with my Komplete 6 and it worked fine.
What theme is that from?
If you don't mind me asking.
Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
lowest - thanks for the lead. I've never needed any routing aside from basic busses, so this is proving to be a challenge to get a handle on. When I open the I/O on the master track, I see 3/4 as a source option but not for destination. Everything I've turned up in my searches seems to assume that a 3/4 destination option is already present. What am I missing?

Kyle
Hi Kyle-

Did you include it in the range of outputs in Options > Prefs. > Audio Device?

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
plgrmsprgrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Hi Kyle-

Did you include it in the range of outputs in Options > Prefs. > Audio Device?

-Susan
Susan - these are my listed options in the output range window:

1. Main Output L
2. Main Output R
3. Output 3 L
4. Output 4 R
5. S/PDIF Output L
6. S/PDIF Output R

I was expecting a 3/4 option. Does this look like your configuration?

Kyle
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Susan G

Quote:
Susan - these are my listed options in the output range window:

1. Main Output L
2. Main Output R
3. Output 3 L
4. Output 4 R
5. S/PDIF Output L
6. S/PDIF Output R

I was expecting a 3/4 option. Does this look like your configuration?

Kyle
I can't check right now, but you have 3/4 there, don't you? They're just split into L and R, no? That's how I read it anyway.

-Susan
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
plgrmsprgrs

Quote:
I can't check right now, but you have 3/4 there, don't you? They're just split into L and R, no? That's how I read it anyway.

-Susan
I'm probably missing something, but if I choose options 3 and 4 then I loose 1 and 2 mains.

Kyle
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Susan G

Quote:
I'm probably missing something, but if I choose options 3 and 4 then I loose 1 and 2 mains.

Kyle
When you open the outputs on the Master you have the option "Add new hardware output" or some such (again, can't look right now but that wording should be close.) From there you should be able to select Output 3 L and Output 3 R. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

-Susan
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
plgrmsprgrs

What I'm trying to do is run a second pair of monitors from the 3/4 outs of the Komplete Audio 6. Basically, I want the same signal going to the 1/2 mains to go to the 3/4 outs too so I can A/B mixes. When I select Output 3 L and Output 4 R, I loose Main Output L and Main Output R. I need both at the same time so I can toggle between them, sending the same signal to two different sets of monitors.

When I try what you last suggested, I end up with two additional hardware outs numbered 3 and 4 respectively. BUT - these numbers refer to the source of the signal, NOT the destination. What I need to see instead is one additional hardware out designated 1/2 as its source, with the option to direct that signal to 3/4 out. However, the destination is fixed - that is to say, there is no drop down window on the destination side of the => figure. There is no 3/4 option for destination. Hope that makes it clearer. And, thanks for trying to figure this through!

Kyle
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
lowest form

Quote:
When I try what you last suggested, I end up with two additional hardware outs numbered 3 and 4 respectively. BUT - these numbers refer to the source of the signal, NOT the destination.
I'm not quite clear on how you're getting references to the input for the signal when you're assigning outputs? Upload some screenshots showing the steps you're going through as some things don't quite seem to add up.

I've attached a few screen grabs that show how I achieve what you want to do.

1. Make sure in Preferences > Audio > Device your output range is set to "first = 1. Main Output L" & "last = 6. S/PDIF Output R"

2. On the master channel MCP click open the I/O panel

3. Select "Add new hardware output" and select "Output 3 L / Output 4 R"

You'll now be able to hear the same signal coming outta your master output on your Komplete outs 1/2 and 3/4.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1-Settings.PNG (44.3 KB, 2636 views)
File Type: png 2-master-click.png (19.1 KB, 1191 views)
File Type: png 3-Select34.png (23.4 KB, 1221 views)

Last edited by lowest form; 03-14-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
lowest form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
What theme is that from?
If you don't mind me asking.
I think it's called Apollo 4. I've found it's the best to use on a laptop because the TCP resizes brilliantly, keeping all of the important buttons (for me) and the little square meter (green/amber/red) when they're really small is ingenious.

Last edited by lowest form; 03-14-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
plgrmsprgrs

OK - got it! It finally clicked that the input designation was a range to activate just like the output. The input selection is not marked as a range like the output selection is. Anyway, all options are now appearing and I have access to 3/4 out!

lowest - those captures made everything perfectly clear. A picture truly does paint a thousand words. Thanks again to you and Susan for helping me sort this out.

On another Komplete related front let me ask the two of you - is this your first USB interface? And, if not, did the Komplete Audio 6 sound different to you in any way than your former interface(s)?

Thanks again!

Kyle
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Argle

I just bought Komplete Audio, and it doesn't sound any different than my other interfaces.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
lowest form

I was previously using an Emu 1616m, but I couldn't tell you if Komplete sounds different - there's too many other factors including using a new laptop, mainly using headphones, interface looks shinier - also my music making is so random it's kinda impossible to tell what sounds good and what doesn't most of the time

I do think it's a cracking unit though. It behaves very well and I like the simplicity and design.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowest form View Post
I was previously using an Emu 1616m, but I couldn't tell you if Komplete sounds different - there's too many other factors including using a new laptop, mainly using headphones, interface looks shinier - also my music making is so random it's kinda impossible to tell what sounds good and what doesn't most of the time

I do think it's a cracking unit though. It behaves very well and I like the simplicity and design.
Very similar to my experience so far (including the new laptop!). I was using a MOTU Ultralite Firewire unit and I can't say I hear a difference, but I agree that the KA6 design is stellar.

The only thing I don't like so far (only had it a few weeks) is having to unplug the USB cable to turn it off. My MOTU was on a power strip so when I was doing music I could just flip a switch.

P.S. Glad you're in business, Kyle!

-Susan
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
Argle

Quote:
I agree that the KA6 design is stellar.
The build quality is excellent. It just feels well made.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
plgrmsprgrs

Thanks again for the input everyone. I can't seem to settle on this sound issue. I'll give it a bit more time.

Kyle
Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #19
plgrmsprgrs

WHOOOO HOOOO! It was the sample buffer! I increased the buffer and everything snapped right into focus - nice, fat, deep, smooth, detailed sound. Just out of curiosity, what do you all have your sample buffer set at? I've set mine at 512. It was all the way down at 32.

Kyle
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
Argle

Quote:
WHOOOO HOOOO! It was the sample buffer! I increased the buffer and everything snapped right into focus - nice, fat, deep, smooth, detailed sound. Just out of curiosity, what do you all have your sample buffer set at? I've set mine at 512. It was all the way down at 32.

Kyle
I have mine at 512 as well. That seemed to be the best tradeoff of CPU vs latency. I dunno about it changing the tone, though, that seems... unlikely.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
plgrmsprgrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argle View Post
I have mine at 512 as well. That seemed to be the best tradeoff of CPU vs latency. I dunno about it changing the tone, though, that seems... unlikely.
Take a reference track that you are very familiar with (I use commercial tracks), load it into Reaper, set the buffer to 32 samples and give a listen. On my system, everything is there but has an edgy, sibilant, thin, disunity to it. The sides want to overtake the center which itself leans toward a swishiness that blurs the transients into a kind of wash. When I set the buffer to a higher setting, these problems begin to resolve. There's still a slight difference (to me anyway) between 256 and 512, but non that I can distinguish between 512 and up. Again, this is my experience and it's repeatable. Try it and see what you think. Thanks for the help too.

Kyle
Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Susan G

Quote:
Take a reference track that you are very familiar with (I use commercial tracks), load it into Reaper, set the buffer to 32 samples and give a listen. On my system, everything is there but has an edgy, sibilant, thin, disunity to it. The sides want to overtake the center which itself leans toward a swishiness that blurs the transients into a kind of wash. When I set the buffer to a higher setting, these problems begin to resolve. There's still a slight difference (to me anyway) between 256 and 512, but non that I can distinguish between 512 and up. Again, this is my experience and it's repeatable. Try it and see what you think. Thanks for the help too.

Kyle
Kyle, have you tried running the KA6 Control Panel Diagnostics while you test? It will tell you if the system is having problems handling the audio at the current setting. I used that along with LatencyMon to troubleshoot some problems I was having and to get the lowest possible latency for playing VSTis. The difference for me when the setting is high enough is that the sound doesn't pop, spit or break up, but I wouldn't say I hear a different quality of the sound. It definitely doesn't get better if I keep raising it once the problems disappear, but if I lower it too far it's unlistenable because of the breakups. You can also adjust the USB buffers, which I've found works best for me at 2 for most things.

On a different note, are you guys able to open and close the KA6 panel from within REAPER? I can open it with the ASIO configuration button but then I can't close it and REAPER doesn't respond (it's not frozen; I just can't get the focus back to it.) I'm thinking I should probably reinstall the KA6 drivers since it happens in FL Studio, too.

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 03-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
Susan G

Quote:
On a different note, are you guys able to open and close the KA6 panel from within REAPER? I can open it with the ASIO configuration button but then I can't close it and REAPER doesn't respond (it's not frozen; I just can't get the focus back to it.) I'm thinking I should probably reinstall the KA6 drivers since it happens in FL Studio, too.
Update: No difference after a re-install. Weird that it appears I'm the only one, but since it works fine if I open the KA6 Control Panel as a separate app (and the audio programs update any with any changes I make just fine) I guess I won't worry about it.

-Susan
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
plgrmsprgrs

Quote:
Kyle, have you tried running the KA6 Control Panel Diagnostics while you test? It will tell you if the system is having problems handling the audio at the current setting. I used that along with LatencyMon to troubleshoot some problems I was having and to get the lowest possible latency for playing VSTis. The difference for me when the setting is high enough is that the sound doesn't pop, spit or break up, but I wouldn't say I hear a different quality of the sound. It definitely doesn't get better if I keep raising it once the problems disappear, but if I lower it too far it's unlistenable because of the breakups. You can also adjust the USB buffers, which I've found works best for me at 2 for most things.

Quote:
Update: No difference after a re-install. Weird that it appears I'm the only one, but since it works fine if I open the KA6 Control Panel as a separate app (and the audio programs update any with any changes I make just fine) I guess I won't worry about it.
Susan - Thanks for reminding me of the diagnostics. Very helpful. I don't recall my earlier interfaces having this tool. Anyway, I think I have things optimized now running USB3. As for opening/closing KA6 Control Panel from within Reaper, I can do both. Just a couple of ideas on that (and you've probably already thought of them):

- Have you downloaded/updated to the latest driver?
- Have you uninstalled any previous ASIO drivers?
- Have you updated the firmware in the KA6?

Kyle
Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
Susan G

Quote:
- Have you downloaded/updated to the latest driver?
- Have you uninstalled any previous ASIO drivers?
- Have you updated the firmware in the KA6?
Hi Kyle-

Yes, yes and yes. I dunno; 'tis a mystery!

Thanks-

-Susan
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
eMaRe

I'm seriously considering this interface, and would be using it with amp sims and VSTis, so latency is very important. My only option is USB, since that's all my laptop has. (And USB 3 at that.) Would you Komplete 6 owners mind posting your system specs and and buffer settings? Also has anyone done any RTL tests with this?

Vin Curigliano from Dawbench said
"NI Komplete Audio 6 : Respectable performance , very solid drivers, higher than normal RTL due to added safety buffers"
Are these the latencies you are getting? 8.7 is great if you can actually run at 32!
-see attached chart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.4 KB, 515 views)
eMaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #27
arrowhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMaRe View Post
Would you Komplete 6 owners mind posting your system specs and and buffer settings?
i5-3450 3.10 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win7 x64. My KA6 performs flawlessly at 32 spls. The song I'm currently working on is 32 tracks with a total of 88 effects, including amp sims and VSTis, and peaks out at about 33% CPU usage during the busiest parts.

edit: I just ran an RTL test, and the results were pretty much identical to that chart you linked.
arrowhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #28
Leo

Quote:
I'm seriously considering this interface, and would be using it with amp sims and VSTis, so latency is very important. My only option is USB, since that's all my laptop has. (And USB 3 at that.) Would you Komplete 6 owners mind posting your system specs and and buffer settings?
Core i5-2500K, ~3gHz, 8gb. KA6 set to sample rate 48kHz, buffer at 32 samples and USB buffer 1ms. Runs fine with 20+ tracks, several instances of drum samplers, Guitar Rig and others.

I had the Audio Kontrol 1 before this and I liked it a lot, the KA6 does just as well and better in some areas. The big ass volume knob on the top makes it usable by the rest of the family and guests as well
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
eMaRe

Thanks! I have one on the way. I just read that it's class compliant and works with iPad with a powered USB hub as well, so I'm super excited.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
bluzkat

Quote:
Thanks! I have one on the way. I just read that it's class compliant and works with iPad with a powered USB hub as well, so I'm super excited.
Are you saying that the KA 6 can be connected to an iPad and then you can record? Wow that's cool... my iPad is coming Monday or Tuesday!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
eMaRe

Yes, you'll need the camera connection kit, powered hub, and you should be good. I believe ios 6 now allows multitrack recording (more than 2)