Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default DPC Latency from dxgkrnl.sys

Running the different DPC latency checkers, it seems like my burps are caused by dxgkrnl.sys. What can I do about it?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Running the different DPC latency checkers, it seems like my burps are caused by dxgkrnl.sys. What can I do about it?
That's the DirectX kernel. Video drivers all up to snuff? Assuming you are using ASIO for sound and no DirectX plugins.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
brainwreck

Anyone remember the days when you could manually set irq's for a pci sound card and be done with this noise? Hell, I was getting below 4 ms latency with an m-audio pci card with a freaking single core processor machine, without a big headache. What happened along the way that made the parrots squawk that 15 ms latency is good enough?

Back on topic, what is directx doing in the background that requires priority, when we want audio to have priority? I mean, isn't as if we are playing video games.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I'm terrified to update the video drivers, I wonder if I can disable them somehow
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I'm terrified to update the video drivers, I wonder if I can disable them somehow
If you have onboard video and an addon card, sure, you could disable one of them. I keep my Nvidia card disabled unless I'm rarely play a game. And btw, I don't blame you for fearing changing video driver. That is a whole other topic for discussion, but in short, the latest isn't always the greatest, and sometimes just updating a video driver breaks things.

Whoops, I forgot: Look in device manager to disable a video card.

Last edited by brainwreck; 01-29-2016 at 09:12 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post

Back on topic, what is directx doing in the background that requires priority, when we want audio to have priority? I mean, isn't as if we are playing video games.
Something else on the machine may be using it to render it's GUI or similar. tasklist /m > tasks.txt then open in notepad and search for dxgkrnl.sys will show all the processes that have it loaded. Actually, that may not show it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-29-2016 at 10:19 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Something else on the machine may be using it to render it's GUI or similar. tasklist /m > tasks.txt then open in notepad and search for dxgkrnl.sys will show all the processes that have it loaded. Actually, that may not show it.
Good tip (tasklist /m). But yea, I see dxgkrnl.sys ticking away here in latencymon without it showing up in the output of tasklist. I wonder if it is a dependency of the windows gui.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 AM   #8
TheWhistler

Thank you guys for bringing up that topic.
I have a similar problem in the last few days.

I tried latency mon and it tells me:

....one problem may be related to power management..CPU throttling...

So I investigated that on a OS-basis. Everything is setup for full-throttle and no energy-saving.....

Funny thing is, the problem occured when launching opera to write this post
Old 01-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Thank you guys for bringing up that topic.
I have a similar problem in the last few days.

I tried latency mon and it tells me:

....one problem may be related to power management..CPU throttling...

So I investigated that on a OS-basis. Everything is setup for full-throttle and no energy-saving.....

Funny thing is, the problem occured when launching opera to write this post
What I had to do to stop throttling is set power options to high performance, disable acpi battery method (laptop), and disable c-states in the bios. I have to do this every time I record, but my machine boots fast enough that it isn't a big deal. So, I make the settings in Windows, reboot to bios, turn off c-states, continue on to Windows. When, I'm done I reverse the settings so as to have power saving features enabled. Yes, it does kind of blow to have to do this every time I want to record, but without doing it, my machine will not perform well for audio. What sucked worse was figuring this out on my own, because there are no definitive guidelines out there on setting up for solid audio performance for a daw.

Last edited by brainwreck; 01-30-2016 at 01:37 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:48 AM   #10
TheWhistler

Quote:
What I had to do to stop throttling is set power options to high performance, disable acpi battery method (laptop), and disable c-states in the bios. I have to do this every time I record, but my machine boots fast enough that it isn't a big deal. So, I make the settings in Windows, reboot to bios, turn off c-states, continue on to Windows. When, I'm done I reverse the settings so as to have power saving features enabled. Yes, it does kind of blow to have to do this every time I want to record, but without doing it, my machine will not perform well for audio. What sucked worse was figuring this out on my own, because there are no definitive guidelines out there on setting up for solid audio performance for a daw.
Having to run through such a process every time I start to make music is frustrating, right?
Isn´t there a way to start different BIOS-settings by the touch of one (!!!) button?

My machine runs very well most of the time. But once in a while it had a kickup.
I just found out that my energy settings weren´t absolutely optimized.
I had one settings (C1e) activated. I thought this would only affect AMD processors.
I am still not sure if this changes anything, but trying
Old 01-30-2016, 01:58 AM   #11
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Having to run through such a process every time I start to make music is frustrating, right?
Isn´t there a way to start different BIOS-settings by the touch of one (!!!) button?

My machine runs very well most of the time. But once in a while it had a kickup.
I just found out that my energy settings weren´t absolutely optimized.
I had one settings (C1e) activated. I thought this would only affect AMD processors.
I am still not sure if this changes anything, but trying
Yea, ideally, we could save complete machine states and switch between them with a single button, for various purposes such as daw use, gaming, whatever. And as finicky as all this stuff is, Microsoft wants users to accept in Windows 10 that updates are not optional. NO THANKS on that.

You should easily be able to tell if your cpu is throttling by making any system settings which you think will disable throttling and running CPU-Z. Verify that the core speed is that of your processor and watch it for a couple of minutes to see if it changes by any significant amount. If it does change, some magical combination of settings hasn't been met.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #12
TheWhistler

Quote:
Yea, ideally, we could save complete machine states and switch between them with a single button, for various purposes such as daw use, gaming, whatever. And as finicky as all this stuff is, Microsoft wants users to accept in Windows 10 that updates are not optional. NO THANKS on that.

You should easily be able to tell if your cpu is throttling by making any system settings which you think will disable throttling and running CPU-Z. Verify that the core speed is that of your processor and watch it for a couple of minutes to see if it changes by any significant amount. If it does change, some magical combination of settings hasn't been met.
I have deactivated designs now. Ridiculous, but that seems to improve it a lot.
It looks like Win98 now - > I have a 90ies-feeling, don´t know if I like that, though....

Opera seems to make problems though when being activated (hard pagefault).
But that is not a problem ´cause it can be asleep when making music
Old 01-30-2016, 03:15 AM   #13
lolilol1975

In my experience, the best way to install the nVidia drivers (and almost all the drivers in general) is to do it via the devices manager. Select your video card, and install the required driver by pointing to the nVidia installer directory. The system will find the necessary videocard drivers all by itself and will install none of the crap that the nVidia installer installs by default.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote