Old 04-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #2881
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
... in your contemplation's ... Paypal [that's the only means I have ... plus, I could spread it out]. Just my thought

As to the 'scientific notation' [or whatever it is called] ... the 'savings' can vary. 12000 = 12k, 1500 = 1k5 . Might seem trivial savings, but when surrounding a dial, it can really help clean up and tighten the display.

Should it happen, it would be great if there was an option checkbox for it, as some functions might not be best [or some users might not care for it].

Anywho ... thanks for considering

2. Tonite I've put most of the features into the AlexB A5m mastering EQ GUI. It is getting easier and faster putting these together, as I learn the most effective ways to go about the design.

really, really nice. Thanks!!
It will be an option of course. Pretty much the algo would be something like:

if val >= 1000 then val/1000 and then string replace '.' with 'k'. Would cover most situations I think.

I will add tomorrow or as soon as I can (last day of my hols).

Glad you're getting on nicely with the script - save a few hiccups generally caused by me :/ Thanks for hanging in there!!!
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #2882
timbralzoom

Dear Mr. Gandalf please check your email.
&
Thank you so much again!

miracles

Last edited by timbralzoom; 04-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:23 AM   #2883
RJHollins

Figured out the disappearing listings of GRAPHICS entries in left side.

In GRAPHICS, I have 4 sub-folders: General, Box, Lines, Logos, Panels.

If there are, like, a hundred entries in General ... and only 5 in one of the other headings ...

If we Scroll down in General, and then select one of the shorter categories [at the top], there is a good chance that the list will show blank.

Scrolling the 'blank' listing reveals that the entries were there, but the scroll function is global ?!?

hope this makes sense to explain ... waiting on coffee to brew :|
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #2884
lb0

Quote:
Figured out the disappearing listings of GRAPHICS entries in left side.

In GRAPHICS, I have 4 sub-folders: General, Box, Lines, Logos, Panels.

If there are, like, a hundred entries in General ... and only 5 in one of the other headings ...

If we Scroll down in General, and then select one of the shorter categories [at the top], there is a good chance that the list will show blank.

Scrolling the 'blank' listing reveals that the entries were there, but the scroll function is global ?!?

hope this makes sense to explain ... waiting on coffee to brew :|
Aaah - thanks for working that out - will make it reset the offset when folder is changed.

Update released to allow k abbreviations of 1000+ for gauges.

Annnnnd fixed (graphics issue - unless I've missed something)

Last edited by lb0; 04-17-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #2885
RJHollins

The 'K' option is beautiful !

It seems such an incidental ... but what an impact on the display.

[pushing the request ... have no idea if this would complicate things ... should there be an option for the numeric display [value] of knobs to have the 'K' option ... that too would be great].

great stuff lb0 ... now to tweak all my EQ gui's
Old 04-17-2017, 04:51 AM   #2886
lb0

Quote:
The 'K' option is beautiful !

It seems such an incidental ... but what an impact on the display.

[pushing the request ... have no idea if this would complicate things ... should there be an option for the numeric display [value] of knobs to have the 'K' option ... that too would be great].

great stuff lb0 ... now to tweak all my EQ gui's
Easy to add option to knobs - but would be a bit strange for continuous values where you might get 12345 translated to 12k345 actually using more character space than before. But I guess fine for stepped frequencies etc where you wouldn't have these values.

Won't do it right now - but will add as an option soon.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #2887
RJHollins

I hear ya ... it is definitely on option that needs use specifically.

I've updated several of my EQ gui's now ... really cleaned up the display. In fact, it now allows 'tightening' up some of the layouts.

One thing I've noticed, it looks like the option to use the 'K' feature is very much dependent on how the plugin reports its' values. NEBULA seems to have its own standards .... and they can vary within the same library.

for example: some display 1,250 as 1.25, while others will do the full natural readout 1250. When they do, its easy to get 1k25. The others show no change.

No Problem with this. When the 'K' works ... it is a great option to have.

note: I might try hand editing some of the stepped [cycle] freq knob values, and see if they'll transfer that way to the GAUGE option.

But You are right ... for the VALUE displays of knob, choosing the K option might yield a mess.

Absolutely no hurry about this ! Some of these 'ideas' are small things that might help improve an already great SCRIPT.

Now I'm spending time with KnobMan, working up some custom Knobs, buttons, etc. I know a great looking GUI when I see it ... the problem is for ME to make one :| What is really nice is that it can be modified along the way. The main thing is function ... which LBX is fantastic. Thank-you.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #2888
RJHollins

MIDI question ... and LBX.

It was mentioned that Reaper's ReaMIDIControl plugin could be integrated with LBX to perform PRGCHNG to other plugins.

I've just tested a very basic setup, and YES ... there is strong possibilities.

What I did was edit up a ReaBank file that includes several BANKS ... meaning that we can access beyond the 0-127 patch number limit.

I have a NEBULA preset at 411 [in my library]. Using the Bank #4, I'm able to access all presets in the 400 range.

Pulling parameters of ReaMIDIControl into LBX, I had a KNOB assigned to the PROGRAM parameter and YES, moving the Knob DID sequentially change the PRESET on the NEBULA plugin below it.

Now the question:

Since I'm designing GUI's that access a specific library, I would like to restrict Program numbers sent from LBX to specific patches.

One idea is to have a type of RADIO button, with each button assigned a specific patch number, whereby pressing this button would send that number to ReaMIDIControl ... which would then send the PrgChng.

This is only a first step. There are other consideration that would need control [such as assigning each NEBULA to a specific MIDI CHannel ... preferably with Reapers built-in MIDI channel assignments.

But anyway ... first thing: rather than using a KNOB, do we have any controller in LBX that could be assigned a number that would talk with ReaMIDIControl ??

[maybe some 'smarty' already has this figured out ... please help]

THANKS !
Old 04-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #2889
lb0

Quote:
MIDI question ... and LBX.

It was mentioned that Reaper's ReaMIDIControl plugin could be integrated with LBX to perform PRGCHNG to other plugins.

I've just tested a very basic setup, and YES ... there is strong possibilities.

What I did was edit up a ReaBank file that includes several BANKS ... meaning that we can access beyond the 0-127 patch number limit.

I have a NEBULA preset at 411 [in my library]. Using the Bank #4, I'm able to access all presets in the 400 range.

Pulling parameters of ReaMIDIControl into LBX, I had a KNOB assigned to the PROGRAM parameter and YES, moving the Knob DID sequentially change the PRESET on the NEBULA plugin below it.

Now the question:

Since I'm designing GUI's that access a specific library, I would like to restrict Program numbers sent from LBX to specific patches.

One idea is to have a type of RADIO button, with each button assigned a specific patch number, whereby pressing this button would send that number to ReaMIDIControl ... which would then send the PrgChng.

This is only a first step. There are other consideration that would need control [such as assigning each NEBULA to a specific MIDI CHannel ... preferably with Reapers built-in MIDI channel assignments.

But anyway ... first thing: rather than using a KNOB, do we have any controller in LBX that could be assigned a number that would talk with ReaMIDIControl ??

[maybe some 'smarty' already has this figured out ... please help]

THANKS !
Yeah I can add something.

I guess a control which sends Bank MSB/LSB and Program change, coupled with a set midi channel would do it. Like you said a radio style button would be useful to switch on/off the relevant buttons.

Give me a bit of time on this - back to work tomorrow...
Old 04-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #2890
RJHollins

Aahh Cool ! Will be interesting to see what ya cook up
Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #2891
timbralzoom

had an idea while trying to reach to "Open Gui"
at the end of Albino3 parameter list
is this possible:
a key combo ctrl or shift etc.
click to jump directly to end of the parameter list..
not a daily use thingy but might be handy when you need.
and... fun before start to hard work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY1w...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by timbralzoom; 04-18-2017 at 02:29 AM.
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #2892
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbralzoom View Post
had an idea while trying to reach to "Open Gui"
is this possible:
a key combo ctrl or shift etc.
click to jump directly to end of the parameter list..
not a daily use thingy but might be handy when you need.
Yes, I think some solution is needed. There are some plugins that may have 500 or more parameters, so scrolling can take quite a while.
If not a quick jump key, perhaps the 'OpenGUI' and 'Offline' options could be moved to the top of the list, or onto their own menu?

Cheers
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #2893
lb0

Next release - right-click on down arrow takes you to bottom of list
Old 04-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #2894
lb0

Quote:
Aahh Cool ! Will be interesting to see what ya cook up
Just wanted to confirm - are you using this just for switching between HQ and LE versions of the same Nebula band?

Of course you can use it to swap between any preset - but there's no way of the gauges updating appropriately for different bands.

But just switching between HQ and LE versions would work ok.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #2895
RJHollins

switching between HQ and LE would be a main use ... but I was also testing some NEB compressors from AlexB, where presets switch hard or soft knee. Key thing there is that the parameters are the same.

Another important use: Switching to different PreAMPS. There are no adjustable parameters [really].

How all this gets used depends on how flexible the controls could be. For example, take PreAMPS ... plenty to choose from. I wonder if some type of 'pull-down' list could be made by the user, where we could assign a patch#. Selecting from the list would send PrgChng to N-4.

note: just throwing possible ideas out there. Only you would know if possible in LUA.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #2896
lb0

Quote:
switching between HQ and LE would be a main use ... but I was also testing some NEB compressors from AlexB, where presets switch hard or soft knee. Key thing there is that the parameters are the same.

Another important use: Switching to different PreAMPS. There are no adjustable parameters [really].

How all this gets used depends on how flexible the controls could be. For example, take PreAMPS ... plenty to choose from. I wonder if some type of 'pull-down' list could be made by the user, where we could assign a patch#. Selecting from the list would send PrgChng to N-4.

note: just throwing possible ideas out there. Only you would know if possible in LUA.
I'm pretty sure it would all be possible - I would just have to make the script flexible enough to allow for the different uses. Now I've got some idea - I'll think about how best to achieve the suggestions.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #2897
NextLevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Next release - right-click on down arrow takes you to bottom of list
...yay! thank you.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #2898
lb0

Quote:

I've got the new control working well with a dropdown list - selecting an item sends the appropriate messages to a Nebula instance with the correct mapping of MIDI Buses.

What I haven't worked out to do is changing the MIDI Bus from within the script - so this has to be done manually when creating the strip file.

However - the settings do save with the strip - and as long as each N4 instance has it's midi output disabled (if you put the reacontrolmidi plugin before each one) - it works fine. In fact if you do it this way - you can use MIDI Bus 1 for everything, as the MIDI data only reaches the N4 instance immediately following each reacontrolmidi plugin.

Will release soon.

EDIT: Released...

boring but useful (?) video here shows setting up for Nebula:

https://youtu.be/yBx-s7-XaAU

Please note - this is first go at this - and probably will be expanded/improved - but would be useful to get some feedback.

Last edited by lb0; 04-19-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #2899
RJHollins

OK ... will start checking this out !

Thanks for making the video to show setting up. Very helpful.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #2900
lb0

New update:

Using the new reacontrolmidi switch control - Added ability to select a plugin to refresh controls after a specified delay period. Useful for Nebula when it can take several seconds to load the new library. The controls wouldn't update normally on the strip if the values had not changed - so by setting this option for the ReaControlMidi Switch - the system will force an update of all the controls for the specified plugin once the delay time has elapsed.

Hopefully this works ok - not been able to actually test with Nebula yet. Will do that later.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #2901
RJHollins

Looking to test very latest ... hit an error message:

...m Files\Reaper 5 [portable]\Scripts\LBX\LBX Stripper.lua:16020: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'rcmdata')
Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #2902
lb0

Quote:
Looking to test very latest ... hit an error message:

...m Files\Reaper 5 [portable]\Scripts\LBX\LBX Stripper.lua:16020: attempt to get length of a nil value (field 'rcmdata')
Sorry about that - should be fixed.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #2903
RJHollins

OK ... starting to get a handle on this new feature !

First thing was getting a single NEBULA changing ... got that.

Then ... getting 2 Nebula's independently changing ... got that !!

Most important ... its WORKING

I've not had to adjust any of the 'timing' parameters ... maybe needed for 'heavy' presets.

It seems the very first time changing PROGRAMS doesn't respond ... but the 2nd time does ... and continues working from then on.

This is a great start ... and an absolutely welcomed feature ! If all is solid, a few support options would make it even easier to use.

But ... will continue testing today ... just wanted to report back to You that it WORKS !

YEAH !!!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #2904
RJHollins

possible ideas:

Duplicating the ReaMIDICntrl in LBX does not carry over the user presets. That would really be nice.

2. being able to EDIT a user preset ...

just stinkin' out loud
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #2905
lb0

Quote:
OK ... starting to get a handle on this new feature !

First thing was getting a single NEBULA changing ... got that.

Then ... getting 2 Nebula's independently changing ... got that !!

Most important ... its WORKING

I've not had to adjust any of the 'timing' parameters ... maybe needed for 'heavy' presets.

It seems the very first time changing PROGRAMS doesn't respond ... but the 2nd time does ... and continues working from then on.

This is a great start ... and an absolutely welcomed feature ! If all is solid, a few support options would make it even easier to use.

But ... will continue testing today ... just wanted to report back to You that it WORKS !

YEAH !!!
The refresh delay time is for when you have controls from the nebula instance in the strip. When you change the program - if a control's value does not change between the two programs - then Stripper will display possibly the incorrect parameter name. You likely may not notice this if you're using it for switching HQ/LE versions as the params will be labelled the same.

But I've now tested this feature - and it's working as desired.

Will allow for duplicating to copy across the program info.

Not sure why it's not changing programs first time - although I know ReaControlMIDI will not send the information if it doesn't change - so if you select the same program twice or more in a row - MIDI only gets sent the first time.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #2906
RJHollins

I tried late last night to use one of my big EQ templates ... it was late, I was shot ... I made a mess :|

Today I just went with a new, simple/basic layout ... just to get a handle on this. It's actually simple to do the setup ... once I get the basic working.

I'll be going into one of my main EQ's adding this new feature.

Duplicating with user presets will really ease things.

note: right now, N-4 has to access the entire library of presets. When we only had NEB-3, we had NebulaSetUPs to make custom NEB libraries ... very handy.

But there is a plan to add SetUPS within N-4. We are looking forward to this needed feature in N-4. This would mean all ReaMIDICNTRL presets we make would have to change. Being able to edit our presets [in LBX] of this new control you've added would be great.

Really excited about this new PRGCHng ability. This opens many new possibilities [hopefully more than just for Nebula].

BIG THANKS
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #2907
lb0

Quote:
I tried late last night to use one of my big EQ templates ... it was late, I was shot ... I made a mess :|

Today I just went with a new, simple/basic layout ... just to get a handle on this. It's actually simple to do the setup ... once I get the basic working.

I'll be going into one of my main EQ's adding this new feature.

Duplicating with user presets will really ease things.

note: right now, N-4 has to access the entire library of presets. When we only had NEB-3, we had NebulaSetUPs to make custom NEB libraries ... very handy.

But there is a plan to add SetUPS within N-4. We are looking forward to this needed feature in N-4. This would mean all ReaMIDICNTRL presets we make would have to change. Being able to edit our presets [in LBX] of this new control you've added would be great.

Really excited about this new PRGCHng ability. This opens many new possibilities [hopefully more than just for Nebula].

BIG THANKS
I should say - at the moment - you cannot use snapshots with the program change control. The problem here is that because it takes so long to load a library (a second or two) - until this change has been made - N4 is not receptive to new parameter changes - so they would not recall correctly.

One way around this I can think of if you really require snapshots:

First set all the program changes - and then not sending any of the other parameter changes until AFTER the delay period (assuming it has been set up correctly).

It would require a bit of coding - but possible from what I can think of.

Do you think you'd need to use snapshots with this new feature?

EDIT: Yes - I plan to add the ability to edit the program change preset values
Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #2908
RJHollins

I not ever used the 'snapshot' feature of LBX.

The main use for PRGCHng would be within a session, and doing realtime auditioning of a N-4 preset. Once decided, that it would stay set with the project when recalled.

examples: Ability of each N-4 EQ band to select/set a clean or full version of a band.

2. Setting a PreAmp, such as a Console input and output [or whatever preamps we want to call from the repository.

3. certain N-4 compressor have alternative presets that maybe have different 'knees' or some function.

Understandably ... any PrgChng might conflict with KNOB, slider, or Gauge layout ... so user need to be mindful.

So basically ... being able to set N-4 presets and have them stay with a given project would be most important.

at least that is my thinking now.

does that seem reasonable? do-able?

thx
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #2909
lb0

Quote:
I not ever used the 'snapshot' feature of LBX.

The main use for PRGCHng would be within a session, and doing realtime auditioning of a N-4 preset. Once decided, that it would stay set with the project when recalled.

examples: Ability of each N-4 EQ band to select/set a clean or full version of a band.

2. Setting a PreAmp, such as a Console input and output [or whatever preamps we want to call from the repository.

3. certain N-4 compressor have alternative presets that maybe have different 'knees' or some function.

Understandably ... any PrgChng might conflict with KNOB, slider, or Gauge layout ... so user need to be mindful.

So basically ... being able to set N-4 presets and have them stay with a given project would be most important.

at least that is my thinking now.

does that seem reasonable? do-able?

thx
I think that's how it will work now. I'll think about the snapshots though anyway maybe - as having presets for some libraries/strips - might be quite nice.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #2910
lb0

Update:

Edit ProgChange settings + duplicating control copies prog change switch data.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #2911
RJHollins

Tried running and adding my test project:

Error message:

m Files\Reaper 5 [portable]\Scripts\LBX\LBX Stripper.lua:13487: attempt to index a nil value (field 'rcmrefresh')
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #2912
lb0

Quote:
Tried running and adding my test project:

Error message:

m Files\Reaper 5 [portable]\Scripts\LBX\LBX Stripper.lua:13487: attempt to index a nil value (field 'rcmrefresh')
Sorry - should be fixed now.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #2913
RJHollins

before I dl the very very latest ... in the previous version, I attempted a DUPLICATE of a ReaMidiCntrl that had user presets made. Had this happen:

m Files\Reaper 5 [portable]\Scripts\LBX\LBX Stripper.lua:17640: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

now going to dl the latest lua

--- EDIT ---

Same ERROR message with the very latest when trying DUPLICATE.

Last edited by RJHollins; 04-20-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #2914
lb0

Quote:
before I dl the very very latest ... in the previous version, I attempted a DUPLICATE of a ReaMidiCntrl that had user presets made. Had this happen:

m Files\Reaper 5 [portable]\Scripts\LBX\LBX Stripper.lua:17640: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

now going to dl the latest lua

--- EDIT ---

Same ERROR message with the very latest when trying DUPLICATE.
Sorry - I thought I'd tested that - will look into soon.

Ok - should be fixed.

Last edited by lb0; 04-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #2915
RJHollins

I think we have Victory ! and a major feature accomplishment.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #2916
RJHollins

OK ... seems to be working really well !

I've 3 Nebulas each taking PrgChng messages independently. This is fantastic

One thing noticed. [not sure how this is suppose to go]

I added 3 ReaMidiCntrl plugins to the chain. I set up 1 LBX controller and added a couple user presets.

Now I DUPLICATE the LBX control. It too has the user Presets [good].

Then I go to the efx list to 'RE-Assign' the dup to the 2nd Rea plugin. I drag it on top, but the assign icon stays GREEN. I drop it on anyways. It seems to work ... but it's confusing.

Same for the 3rd dup ... but it still works.

Just a minor thing. But it is still amazing what You've been able to create.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #2917
RJHollins

Continued testing ... working very well !

Which stirs an idea/question.

Not knowing what the LUA limits are ... and amazed by your ability to translate function into code

thought/question: is it at all possible to 'query' a Nebula plugin of it's patch NAME ... or possibly the Preset NUMBER ??
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #2918
lb0

Quote:
OK ... seems to be working really well !

I've 3 Nebulas each taking PrgChng messages independently. This is fantastic

One thing noticed. [not sure how this is suppose to go]

I added 3 ReaMidiCntrl plugins to the chain. I set up 1 LBX controller and added a couple user presets.

Now I DUPLICATE the LBX control. It too has the user Presets [good].

Then I go to the efx list to 'RE-Assign' the dup to the 2nd Rea plugin. I drag it on top, but the assign icon stays GREEN. I drop it on anyways. It seems to work ... but it's confusing.

Same for the 3rd dup ... but it still works.

Just a minor thing. But it is still amazing what You've been able to create.

Thanks!
Orange - means plugin is different type from current parameter (this is for first drag over as it at that point has no plugin assigned).

Green - means plugin types are the same.

The dragover feature was added a while back to allow complete replacement of a set of parameters with another plugin. The orange/green indicator was to show you whether the plugin type matched or not - because normally - it would not make sense to use a different plugin type.

So really just a consequence of the previous reason for the colouring.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #2919
lb0

Quote:
Continued testing ... working very well !

Which stirs an idea/question.

Not knowing what the LUA limits are ... and amazed by your ability to translate function into code

thought/question: is it at all possible to 'query' a Nebula plugin of it's patch NAME ... or possibly the Preset NUMBER ??
That's really down to the limits of Nebula, not Lua. If Nebula allowed this information to be read - then I could read it. But I'm pretty sure the data is not made public (via automation). I don't know if there is any MIDI spec - that would allow it to be read via MIDI - but Lua has very limited midi capabilities anyway - so not a real option anyway.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #2920
RJHollins

Thanks lb0 ... now I understand the 'green/orange' relationship better.

As to polling for patch info ... ok, was curious about an idea that surfaced.

I might have a related idea to this to ask you down the road as I ponder a special feature/idea. Again, me not fully knowing the possibilities or the group needs [?} ... the gist of the idea might be based on a 'saved list', a TXT file, that could be accessed/used in LBX. These 'txt list' could hold user names [like patch names]. Just a sketchy idea at this point to talk about.

Still ... big Thanks for 'breaking the limits of LUA', with the MIDI PRGCHng technique. Not sure for others, but for NEBULA users, this is really great.

Now, when an EQ GUI is built, even if only a couple/few bands are actually used, we can assign the 'last' band in the use as the full 'saturated' preset, while all others are 'clean'. [this to maintain the original tone/harmonics of the hardware color. Of course, with Nebula, we can alter that based on sonic needs.

Additionally, we can now setup a first Input and last Output amps for the chain [consoleIN/consoleOUT].

We can also set a list of TAPE emulations, with realtime access from the LBX GUI.

fantastic