Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #41
Fredj
Human being with feelings

Default set up the Icon

Hello everybody,
SQBY, please can you tell me how did you set up your Icon ?
I've got mine (Pro + 1 EX) since few days and try it within Reaper (demo release). My first issue is the EX, faders and vpots of the Pro are mirrored to the EX !! when I touch for instance the 2nd fader of the Pro then the 2nd fader of the EX reacts the same way...
Well in Prefs I added :
"mackie control", with "icon qcon pro v1.05"
"mackie control extended", with "icon qcon ex1 v1.05"
Is it correct ?
Fredj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #42
Manight

Thank you SQBY and all the others for the answers! I didn't check the topic earlier because I'm subscribed but received no notification, otherwise I would have thank you sooner.

I think that donating to klinke is a good option if he's willing to carry on the job! Best would be to lend him a QCON PRO+EX. I guess SQBY idea of contacting Icon Germany for this (and point them here of course) is great!!

As I said I contacted and wrote wherever I could to move things forward.

So far it seems no official "answer" from Icon and not from Cockos as well, maybe beacause of those great user extensions but I don't think it's the good way to handle such an important factor in a DAW in the long term. It most controllers should be 100% integrated from scratch (like on Cubase in this case) then user can provide extensions for ...well extended workflows or whatever.

Klinke we summon you, come speak to us, give us some hope for future development!!! Let's contact Icon somehow they seemd very responsive in the past!
Manight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #43
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredj View Post
Hello everybody,
SQBY, please can you tell me how did you set up your Icon ?
I've got mine (Pro + 1 EX) since few days and try it within Reaper (demo release). My first issue is the EX, faders and vpots of the Pro are mirrored to the EX !! when I touch for instance the 2nd fader of the Pro then the 2nd fader of the EX reacts the same way...
Well in Prefs I added :
"mackie control", with "icon qcon pro v1.05"
"mackie control extended", with "icon qcon ex1 v1.05"
Is it correct ?
Sorry Fredj but as far as I'm concerned the EX would not work properly with Klinke's DLL at the moment. You can try the basic MCU implementation which is in reaper, but can't thell whether it will work right, because I do not own EX, because I am waiting with my order until the EX will be working the same manner as PRO is.

I have contacted my Polish distributor and alerted him about the problem, he contacted the icon. As far as I know, ICON's product manager should have red this forum and contacted Klinke about the development of plugin.
This sure is a problem, because if it worked me and my friends from other studios in Poland would buy many EXs and a the moment we are stuck with only Qcon PRO, waiting for things to happen. Hopefully it will be repaired fast.

best regards,
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #44
Manight

I can confirm that I'm still waiting to buy the stuff for that reason. Don't won't to switch back to cubase
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #45
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manight View Post
Klinke we summon you, come speak to us, give us some hope for future development!!! Let's contact Icon somehow they seemd very responsive in the past!
I'm working on a new version that maybe contains a hack that allows to use two controllers at the same time. But they will not know the existance of the other one and will work independent, so when you press the Bank Up or Down button, only the controller where you have pressed the button will move by 8 tracks up or down.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #46
strinxx

This sounds pretty cool, actually...
You could use one unit for normal track mixing, the other one could be like a submixer for Busses. Nice.

Does that mean we could use extenders then? That'd be excellent!

strinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #47
Manight

That's a good news I guess. Did Icon send you the stuff in the end?

Your earlier versions supported all extenders in the correct way if I'm not wrong, did you change completely your routines in the latest release?

EDIT: Geoff aren't you working anymore on your version as well to add functionalities or improve existing? I think you both gave an enormous contribution to the Reaper project with your dlls

Last edited by Manight; 01-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #48
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
I'm working on a new version that maybe contains a hack that allows to use two controllers at the same time. But they will not know the existance of the other one and will work independent, so when you press the Bank Up or Down button, only the controller where you have pressed the button will move by 8 tracks up or down.
The problem is that the qcon ex does not have bank up or down button if I see the pictures correctly :/
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #49
Manight

Icon should send you the stuff Klinke!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #50
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqby View Post
The problem is that the qcon ex does not have bank up or down button if I see the pictures correctly :/
I'm aware of this (the Mackie Extenders doesn't have those buttons either). So this hack will be paired with another new feature: The next version will add for most buttons of the full Mackie Control a Reaper Action, which in turn can be assigned to keys or buttons of other MIDI hardware (like the Korg Nanopad, or you can use the Action buttons of the Main Unit to control the Extender).

But at the moment all of this is only in a proof of concept stage, but i'm confident that i will release end of february a first beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlight
Your earlier versions supported all extenders in the correct way if I'm not wrong, did you change completely your routines in the latest release?
Some parts of the extension where changed completely, yes. I added the Folder-tracks, the Anchors etc., and while i did this i ran into a lot of places where i see problems arising when i try to continue the support of the extenders.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #51
sqby

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I have commented their photo with QCON on facebook. Maybe it may seem a little bit silly, but today social media is power.
It would be great if you could join in with your comments. Maybe it would bring their attention to the problem, because as it seems nobody from their company responded.

regards,
Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #52
Manight

Great idea! I posted there after your comment.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #53
Fredj

Hi
is there anything new about the Qcon & ex's developments ?
how can we stay tuned ? right here or another topic ?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #54
sqby

"iCON is currently making new presets for Cockos Reaper, Presonus Studio One and
Cakewalk Sonar. The new presets will be available in a couple of weeks"

This is an info which I got from my local distributor.

regards,
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #55
Chris Martins

Good news...
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #56
Fredj

Nice !! :-)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #57
Klinke

Can i ask what "presets" mean in the iCON termology?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #58
sqby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
Can i ask what "presets" mean in the iCON termology?
Passed on that question to my distributor, when he'll get the answer from iCON i will post it here
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #59
HIO

Quote:
Passed on that question to my distributor, when he'll get the answer from iCON i will post it here
Maybe it is just a name for a guidance system of sorts which maps out the surface controller to each of these DAWs own unique functionality is my best guess.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #60
Fredj

As far as we can imagine, that means we can expect two new items named "Icon Pro" and "Icon Ex" in the remote list of these DAWs..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #61
lip3k

Default strange question

Hi guys,

first timer here so please be more forgiving than usual

I've recently purchased Icon Qcon Pro and must say that this is a very cool piece of hardware, still I've come across some problems...

To make it more brief please advise me how to change certain things (because the device manual is just ridiculous in explaining stuff):

1) while adjusting PAN (in flip mode) i'm unable to achieve hard pan on the left... moving the fader fully on max value only reaches 81 %...

2) I'm unable to calibrate all faders to 0 dBFS, any change starts from -0.1 / +0.1 value

3) The max volume on the fader is +8.24 dBFS, I would like to change that to a different value

now I know that there are calibration methods by powering the unit on while pressing REC buttons (Channel 3-8)... it would seem that channel 8 REC button would be the one but i don't know how to save the changes in sensitivity settings... :/

any help would be highly appreciated !!

Bests
Chris

PS. my Reaper version is 4.32 x64

Last edited by lip3k; 04-02-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: added Reaper version info
lip3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #62
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip3k View Post
Hi guys,

first timer here so please be more forgiving than usual

I've recently purchased Icon Qcon Pro and must say that this is a very cool piece of hardware, still I've come across some problems...

To make it more brief please advise me how to change certain things (because the device manual is just ridiculous in explaining stuff):

1) while adjusting PAN (in flip mode) i'm unable to achieve hard pan on the left... moving the fader fully on max value only reaches 81 %...

2) I'm unable to calibrate all faders to 0 dBFS, any change starts from -0.1 / +0.1 value

3) The max volume on the fader is +8.24 dBFS, I would like to change that to a different value

now I know that there are calibration methods by powering the unit on while pressing REC buttons (Channel 3-8)... it would seem that channel 8 REC button would be the one but i don't know how to save the changes in sensitivity settings... :/

any help would be highly appreciated !!

Bests
Chris

PS. my Reaper version is 4.32 x64
Welcome!

My first concern for your issue is the following. See bottom!

Qcon Pro
- 8 touch-sensitive motorized channel faders

- 12-segment LED channels level metering

- 1 touch-sensitive motorized fader for master channel

- 8 x dual function encoder knobs (Enter & rotate)

- 11-segment LED surrounding the encoders to indicate the rotating position.

- Large backlit LCD to display channel name, control values etc. for each channel

- 12-segment LED display showing time location of your project in either SMPTE or BBT format.

- 18 assignable buttons

- Jog wheel shuttle for fast search and control

- Illuminated buttons for each channel including Rec-enable, Solo, Mute, Select and Monitor

- 6 illuminated transport buttons including Play, Stop, Rec, Rewind, Fast forward and Loop

- Illuminated zoom key with 4 direction keys

- 9 illuminated assignable MIDI function buttons

- Expandable to 32-channels control surface with 3units of Qcon EX.

- Expansion slot for ICON’s “Umix” series USB audio interface card

- User A & User B RCA connectors for connecting with pedals

- Class-compliant with Windows XP, Vista (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit & 64-bit), and Mac OS X (IntelMac)

- USB 2.0 high speed connectivity

- Mackie control build-in for Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, Logic Pro and Abelton Live.

- Mackie HUI protocol build-in for Pro Tool.

- User self-define mode (MIDI Learn) for other DAW such as Sonar.

- Firmware upgrade available simply via USB connection and iMap software.

- Template labels are included for difference popular DAW such as Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, Logic Pro and Abelton Live .

- Robust aluminum and metal casing with Kensington lock port.

Reaper is not mentioned and just maybe it isn't supported. Control surface support is what I have been asking for. For years my friend. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 AM   #63
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
- Mackie control build-in for Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, Logic Pro and Abelton Live.

Reaper is not mentioned and just maybe it isn't supported. Control surface support is what I have been asking for. For years my friend. Good luck!
Reaper supports the Mackie control protocol, so that ICon doesn't mention Reaper explicitly shouldn't be a problem.

But i don't know anything about the calibration methods of the QCon, so i can't help lip3k, maybe some other QCon owner can chime in?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #64
lip3k

thanks guys i believe that this isn't something that can't be rectified. Just wished the support of Icon worked better, I've sent them couple of e-mails and still no reply :/

bests
Chris
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #65
HIO

Quote:
thanks guys i believe that this isn't something that can't be rectified. Just wished the support of Icon worked better, I've sent them couple of e-mails and still no reply :/
bests
Chris
I do not know where you are located but I have always found a phone *call* gets the fastest and most intelligent communication going. If it's possible you want to go to the horses head and call Icon Digital Corporation in the U.S.(608) 829-3450 and not some third party vendor for support. They have a lot of support numbers around the world.

Side note to Klinke.

You are getting kind of famous; I mentioned your name just yesterday in another forum and I have never even met you. <g>
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #66
lip3k

unfortunately I'm in EU so the cost of having a rather complicated and long chat is not an option atm :/

bests
Chris
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #67
HIO

Any word back yet from Icon Digital Corporation or one of the EU vendors???
Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #68
lip3k

unfortunately no, still waiting :/
Old 04-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #69
Manight

Quote:
"iCON is currently making new presets for Cockos Reaper, Presonus Studio One and
Cakewalk Sonar. The new presets will be available in a couple of weeks"

This is an info which I got from my local distributor.

regards,
BIG NEWS mate!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #70
HIO

Quote:
unfortunately no, still waiting :/
Please let us know when or if they get back to you and what you find out.

They are overdue on their presets and this kind of support for you looks really bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #71
lip3k

Hi

just to update, still no reply from them... looks like the support is pretty weak if you ask me ;/

Bests
Chris
Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #72
Manight

Important thing is they actually will do the job.
I doubdt it will be complete as Klinke's addon but I guess it will natively support multiple ex controllers
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #73
sqby

Hi, probably soon I will have good news for you.
Good friend of colleague of mine is an very experienced IT engineer. He took the Klinke's source code and is working with some new addons to it.
There will be probably 2 versions - first freeware, based on Klinke's source code with working EX and send automation (if it is possible).

Second, "commercial" rewritten from the scratch in different enviroment which will have some bonus features - I don't know yet what he is planning - if you have any ideas of what could come in handy you can post it here, he will implement them if this will be possible.

best regards,
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #74
Manight

Are you serious?
Here take my money
Old 04-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #75
sqby

As soon as the guys finish the freeware version I will try to put it here, I am not quite sure what are they planning with commercial one .

best regards,
Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #76
HIO

Quote:
Hi

just to update, still no reply from them... looks like the support is pretty weak if you ask me ;/

Bests
Chris
If I were ever to buy a product from a company and they did not have the courtesy to reply to my support emails within 72 business hours I would have returned their product and would never buy anything from them again.

You have been waiting three weeks for a reply and I am embarrassed they are a U.S. company.

Can you return the Qcon pro? Are you having any more success using it with Reaper?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #77
G-Sun

Seems like Control Surface integration is Reapers Achilles-heel.
Can someone enlighten me about the subject?
Protocols, native integration, API, extensions...
Are there no generic protocols? Open source formats?
What's the future for Reaper regarding this?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #78
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Seems like Control Surface integration is Reapers Achilles-heel.
Yes definitely!!!

Quote:
Can someone enlighten me about the subject??
Could you first tell me who would get the publishing rights to this book that I would have to write. <g>

Quote:
Protocols, native integration, API, extensions...
Are there no generic protocols? Open source formats?
Reaper needs to use the Pro Tools control surface protocol,along with the HUI/Mackie and Eucon protocols. This would be a game changer and a lot more people would be using Reaper.

Mixing songs with a single mouse can surely be done but anyone who has used a control surface with a bunch of faders will surely tell you that mixes can come beautifully alive with what I call massaging the faders/tracks along with real time envelope automation.

Quote:
What's the future for Reaper regarding this?
Ask Justin because he is the only one who is human who truly knows.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #79
G-Sun

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
Reaper needs to use the Pro Tools control surface protocol,along with the HUI/Mackie and Eucon protocols. This would be a game changer and a lot more people would be using Reaper.
So, are these open protocols?
The different protocols: Are they endorsed by many vendors? Or are the eg the Eucon protocol only for Euphonix hardware?
Could Cockos implement the protocols fully if they choose so?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #80
HIO

Quote:
So, are these open protocols?
Yes

Quote:
The different protocols: Are they endorsed by many vendors?
Yes

Quote:
Or are the eg the Eucon protocol only for Euphonix hardware??
No

Quote:
Could Cockos implement the protocols fully if they choose so?
I would think so since almost every major DAW out there has better surface controller support.