Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Anyone good with Open Broadcasting Software?

Recording screen caps is often seriously frustrating to me (mostly because of the interapp audio issues) but I kind of had a working setup...Now I've added a webcam and its 30 times as frustrating. I had tried OBS for screen cap, but their community steered me wrong on questions (its certainly not the reaper community!) and I had given up, but I gave it another try and it turned out okish

I was able to pull this off without too much trouble. https://youtu.be/5DurtHtggcU

Usually I do a lot of video editing in vegas, but that was straight out of OBS

I need some help with basic concepts and use cases.

I plan on usually editing what I get from OBS in Vegas. I'm ok if it records separate video files for the screen and webcam at once, but I'm also ok if it records it as one video.

What formats and settings should I have for the video?

One video is the secondary monitor where I have reaper, and I can crop it in obs or vegas, the other video to capture is my webcam or livecam. My webcam is a logitech 920c and soon will be a logitech 930. Really confused on the settings for those

I dont understand the audio streams on the mixer, there seem to be audio streams that I havent added as input devices.

I'd like to have each audio source recorded as a seaparate track for output so i can mix them and edit them in reaper and vegas. I saw a few videos on how to output multitrack audio, but I didnt see an option for uncompressed wave output. Is there one?

How the hell are your settings saved? I would like to be able to jump back to saved setups, ut I don't really see any functions for that
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Fergler
Human being with feelings

I use OBS.

It simply displays all available audio all the time. Just mute the ones you don't need. As with anything else audio on Windows, it relies on Windows drivers so you're still stuck with stereo channel sums.

What are your audio sources?

Video should be recorded in destination format if possible or larger, compressed or uncompressed is really up to you and what kind of editing you're doing.

Settings are not saved, they are made as templates called Scenes, bottom left of the window.

See mine:

Note I called the top two 'Reaper audio' but it is actually the output of my audio interface so it's every sound the computer makes. The difference between the Reaper and PC scenes is that the PC one captures all windows and the Reaper one only captures Reaper window.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

So I have video coming in from monitor two, and video from a webcam

I have reaper set to asio and my spare motu spdif which mirror's reaper's output, goes out of the motu and back in to an onboard audiocard spdif in.

This means I can actually have reaper's output audio as an input to OBS.

I also have a mic input to obs and a webcam mic input to obs

On the audio mixer, it has two desktop audio things and then adds whatever I set as audio inputs on a scene.

I want all of these to be separate tracks when I export the video

I dont see how to set the audio to wave

I don't know what video format and settings to use that will work best with Vegas

When I am in front of the computer I can take a screenshot of the webcam setup options too, not sure what I should be using but the settings I did seem to work ok

I still dont see how to save and recall setups
Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Fergler

OBS does apparently have multitrack audio beyond stereo, total of 4 channels.

As I said the settings are saved as Scenes, and that's it. You don't have to click+save anything, they just stay put. Go ahead, exit the application and return, they'll still be there.

You don't get the option for wave audio (with video) because that's an audio format. OBS is video software, so now you need to understand the video formats OBS offers. Actually OBS can save wave but that's audio only so you don't want that.

The settings are here:

Note the 1, 2, 3, 4 tickboxes.

Pick mov, as it supports multichannel audio.

For video, I need to know what your intentions are with these videos. If you're looking to make youtube videos you'll want the highest quality you can so set your base and scaled resolution to the resolution of your computer and use 29.97 FPS. These are found in the Video tab of settings.

Finally, in the OBS mixer, make sure you are sending each track to one or one set of channels:

So you might have webcam mic going to 3, mic to 4, and Reaper output to 1 and 2, for example.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
heda

the multi audio track files generated by OBS are great, to have the mic in one track, and the REAPER audio in another track, but REAPER doesn't support multiple audio tracks in the videos to edit them later :/ It probably works in Vegas
I hope REAPER can add support for multiple audio tracks in videos. Feature request here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=179793.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thanks guys! Is there an uncompressed audio format any of the video formats can offer?

The videos are likely going to youtube, but my biggest issue really is finding a format and settings that Vegas likes
Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Some of my capture apps can do uncompressed avi and offer bwav files, but I'm not sure what the closest format in OBS would be
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Vegas doesnt seem to like mov much, but with mp4 I got all six tracks of audio!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Really LOVING OBS now, but I keep getting out of sync audio and video when I put the files in Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZNn2YWlN0

The output mp4 works fine in media player and vlc, but when I open it in vegas its all out of sync....any ideas?
Old 03-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Does anyone have a good settings for OBS studio multitrack output to Vegas?
The mov doesnt seem to allow the multitracks, and the mp4 audio video is out of sync in vegas (though not other apps)