Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
pettrer
Human being with feelings

Default rompler or similar

Hi,

I am just switching to Reaper, as its workflow seems to have been so much improved. In addition the videos by Kenny are great and the Reaper community seems nice.

I am now looking for a free or low-cost, not so large in size rompler or similar (for bread and butter sounds), not to be hindered when creativity strikes.

I have been suggested AAS Swatches and also Sonic Charge Cyclone & the Aeolian fxp.

I have read most of the freeware studio sticky thread but unfortunately the lists haven't been updated for quite some time.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Petter
pettrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I would be looking at the freebie player version of things like Kontakt, which nowadays comes with a fairly decent set of instruments included. Plenty of others like that. What sort of instruments are you looking for?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
pettrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I would be looking at the freebie player version of things like Kontakt, which nowadays comes with a fairly decent set of instruments included. Plenty of others like that. What sort of instruments are you looking for?
Thanks! Actually I have read a number of your posts already (your tagline is hard to miss...)

Well, I started out in the late 80's with an MT-32, and then moved on to the Proteus 1+2 and the JV-1080. The beauty of such machines is that everything is at your fingertips and that loading time is close to nil. Five years ago I installed the Proteus VX, which worked well, but I guess that there must be even better choices around now. What I'm trying to stay away from are big sampled banks that are not well organized and that take forever to dial up patches on. But a 600 MB sound library for use with a sample player would be fine, I think. Not sure if SampleTank or Kontakt would be preferable, or if I would be better off using a soundfont player and one of the many soundfont banks - I really don't know.

I do have paid versions of MUX and Synthmaster, so my Kraftwerky/housey music style is pretty much covered, but I would like something that takes care of ordinary pop music styles (piano, pop strings, choirs, pads, Fairlight beauties, etc). (I was brought up on Depeche Mode, and if possible, I would also like some (separate) VSTi for getting their 80's sound, say Everything Counts or People are People).

I can imagine that some specific instruments (such as a piano or strings) might be better using some special VSTi, which would be fine to me, but I don't want to end up with a huge stack of VSTis or FX, because being in my mid forties, I regrettably don't have time to work with all of them.

This is actually my only concern about moving to Reaper, so I very much appreciate you trying to help me out. I assume that others might be in the same situation, as the main (only?) negative aspect I've seen about Reaper is the lack of onboard synths/romplers. To me this shouldn't be a negative aspect at all as it makes the download less bloated, but I believe that hints for suitable basic instruments would be welcome by new users.

Thanks again,

Petter

Last edited by pettrer; 04-21-2017 at 04:33 PM.
pettrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
brynolf

Proteus still works in 32bit en ironments, I think. Couldn't get it to work reliably in 64bit Reaper though.
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
ivansc

Mid 80s and MT32 plus Alesis datadisc, me. Finally baled on hardware when I gave my 1080 to a friend. Itr sits gsathering dust in HIS rack now instead of mine!

The smart thing to do is to get ALL the freebie bulk romplers and quickly riff through the included sounds till you find the one you prefer. I gave up on IKMM after spending a fair amount of time and money with them. Not a nice company to do business with & the worst support in the world. But make your own mind up.

Admittedly there are a lot of good freebies out there but I wound up buying the full Kontakt because of the sheer number and variety of virtual instruments out there, many for pennies or free.
A lot of my music uses odd instruments (Back Porch Tuba I love for bass) and because Kontakt lends itself fairly well to bedroom sound creators (IF you have the full version) theres a lot out there for me.
I have a friend who has worked for/with a lot of the 80s acts - she still has a ton of old Oberheim stuff. I could ask her what she is currently using to produce her music these days if you like?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:41 AM   #6
sonicowl

I recommend getting old AKAI discs, and convert them to Kontakt. Those patches usually sound good and load fast.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
pettrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynolf View Post
Proteus still works in 32bit en ironments, I think. Couldn't get it to work reliably in 64bit Reaper though.
Thanks, good to know. It's a shame they didn't continue working on the Proteus VX (and improve its UI also) - it was quite a steal when it arrived.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
pettrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Mid 80s and MT32 plus Alesis datadisc, me. Finally baled on hardware when I gave my 1080 to a friend. Itr sits gsathering dust in HIS rack now instead of mine!

The smart thing to do is to get ALL the freebie bulk romplers and quickly riff through the included sounds till you find the one you prefer. I gave up on IKMM after spending a fair amount of time and money with them. Not a nice company to do business with & the worst support in the world. But make your own mind up.

Admittedly there are a lot of good freebies out there but I wound up buying the full Kontakt because of the sheer number and variety of virtual instruments out there, many for pennies or free.
A lot of my music uses odd instruments (Back Porch Tuba I love for bass) and because Kontakt lends itself fairly well to bedroom sound creators (IF you have the full version) theres a lot out there for me.
I have a friend who has worked for/with a lot of the 80s acts - she still has a ton of old Oberheim stuff. I could ask her what she is currently using to produce her music these days if you like?
Hi again,

Yes, please ask her!

I still have my old Proteus at home (plus my beloved Juno-2, my first synth). I'm just thinking that given that the Kontakt standard edition databank is 2,000 (!) times larger than the Proteus', there must have been some sonic progress.

I have looked at comparisons between SampleTank 3 and Kontakt. It seems that some people prefer some of the sounds of SampleTank, but in general, Kontakt was the preferred choice. Also, I saw a reply from a IKMM rep, and I was shocked by his offensive tone (I used to be a marketing manager in the music software industry, so I have met quite a few marketing people, but never one this rude.)

I will follow you advice and download both products and see what feels right for me.

Thanks again,

Petter
Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #9
pettrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
I recommend getting old AKAI discs, and convert them to Kontakt. Those patches usually sound good and load fast.
Thanks for the advice!

Petter
Old 04-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettrer View Post
Thanks, good to know. It's a shame they didn't continue working on the Proteus VX (and improve its UI also) - it was quite a steal when it arrived.
They did> called it the emu x3> grab it if u can=blinding.
http://www.creative.com/emu/products...=501&pid=17681
Discontinued,but scanning the net reaveals availability in 1 way or another..
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
pettrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
They did> called it the emu x3> grab it if u can=blinding.
http://www.creative.com/emu/products...=501&pid=17681
Discontinued,but scanning the net reaveals availability in 1 way or another..
Thanks, had forgotten about X3. I used to know some of the (very nice) staff at E- MU. Perhaps I'll email them and ask for a re- release with a free entry level version.