Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
dudie
Human being with feelings

Default Affordable Drum Trigger? Reaper & EZDrummer - Yamaha DD65 ?

Does anybody use the Yamaha DD65? If so, how are the dynamics? Does using this lead to alot of similar notes in a row?

Can anybody recommend an affordable unit to trigger EZDrummer in Reaper?
dudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
stupeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudie View Post
Does anybody use the Yamaha DD65? If so, how are the dynamics? Does using this lead to alot of similar notes in a row?

Can anybody recommend an affordable unit to trigger EZDrummer in Reaper?
Du dudie,

dunno the Yamaha.

What I did: bought a ultra cheapo real drumkit from china. Stuffed all the drums with fabrique and foam to keep them silent. Glued a piezo trigger to the skins, the snare rim and the cymbals. Fed the signal to second hand alesis piezo to midi converter. Total cost about $400. Works great.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
drybij

I have a Yamaha DD55c and I've muted its local sounds so I can use use the pads. Also since I'm left handed, I've had to use a virtual midi port and a midi mapper program to make left-handed "kits" for my self. The VSTi I'm using is Jamstix.

It all works well in Reaper with no perceivable latency. It's difficult to coax dynamics out of this setup, but I'm sure my lack of drumming skill contributes to that.
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
dudie

Default Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupeT View Post
Du dudie,

dunno the Yamaha.

What I did: bought a ultra cheapo real drumkit from china. Stuffed all the drums with fabrique and foam to keep them silent. Glued a piezo trigger to the skins, the snare rim and the cymbals. Fed the signal to second hand alesis piezo to midi converter. Total cost about $400. Works great.
Can you link me the triggers (piezo) that you are using? I may try this setup - just let me know.

Anybody have other options?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Finnish

http://www.thomann.de/fi/millenium_m...stereo_set.htm

I got those, and I'm more than happy!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
dudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post

I wish I could get them in the states!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
dudie

Quote:

Would these mofos work? http://cgi.ebay.com/YOKI-DD908-ELECT...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Finnish

Quote:
I don't know about that, but that kit has midi out so why not?

At least on my kit the setup works out of the box, hihat response is a bit weak but I know it's my fault, I hit too softly and I miss some hits sometimes. But overall that Millenium kit is a no brainer, I really recommend that if you have the budjet for that. For cheaper, I don't know.

Cheers! (Beer tomorrow for birthday...)
Old 09-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
dudie

Default Dynamics?

Quote:
I don't know about that, but that kit has midi out so why not?

At least on my kit the setup works out of the box, hihat response is a bit weak but I know it's my fault, I hit too softly and I miss some hits sometimes. But overall that Millenium kit is a no brainer, I really recommend that if you have the budjet for that. For cheaper, I don't know.

Cheers! (Beer tomorrow for birthday...)
I'll have to check it out. I guess I could have them deliver to the States. How are the dynamics (can you get different sounds out of them - hard and soft)?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
strunkdts

easy and fun project man. cut one end off a guitar lead and solder it to a piezo from a small speaker,alrmclock,radio or wherever u find it. And whammo, u got a mic and trigger good to go!

google it for thorough instructions. u will end up making heaps of them like i did and record symphonies of barefeet dragging across carpet and vibrations thru sheets of metal hung in front of gtr amps!
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
dudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunkdts View Post
easy and fun project man. cut one end off a guitar lead and solder it to a piezo from a small speaker,alrmclock,radio or wherever u find it. And whammo, u got a mic and trigger good to go!

google it for thorough instructions. u will end up making heaps of them like i did and record symphonies of barefeet dragging across carpet and vibrations thru sheets of metal hung in front of gtr amps!

I don't understand. I'm new to this whole thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
strunkdts

google.................
strunkdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
soul&folk

I recently bought a used dd55 and so far so good. Haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but it seems like it'll do the trick. I don't expect perfect dynamics but something tells me that using various weight sticks will be part of coaxing some dynamics out of this.

Another thing to know - the pedals that come with this are little plastic things. I plan on buying some pedals designed for serious electronic drums eventually.

http://www.motagator.net/bands/25/
soul&folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
I recently bought a used dd55 and so far so good. Haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but it seems like it'll do the trick. I don't expect perfect dynamics but something tells me that using various weight sticks will be part of coaxing some dynamics out of this.

Another thing to know - the pedals that come with this are little plastic things. I plan on buying some pedals designed for serious electronic drums eventually.
hi,
to partially quote a previous post of mine:

i used a dd55 for a while -
toptip! (IMO)
change the 'pad sensitivity' setting, from the default on power up of 1, to 2, for highest dynamic range and far better response, particularly for sticks/rolls etc. am not sure if its remembered after a power-down/ac removed, so you may have to set it when you power up/plug in.

check the manual as you have to press two buttons at the same time, then a 3rd - have a look: here it is in fact (google huh?!):

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...LATION&LGFL=Y#

I butchered my dd55 for its pads - they are quite easy to remove.. (yank em). some are now having a new better life as 'cymbal pads' for my diy mesh head edrum setup...

IMO I believe you can get better response by plugging the pads direct in to an audio input and using ktdrumtrigger or drumagog type fx etc. to trigger a drum vsti.
bit of eq and maybe compression on the signal and you can get really good response.
I have done things that way as even if my homebrew triggers are not perfect i can tweak the signal far more than any drum brain would allow to achieve a good response. downside is 8 or more audio inputs are taken up, but I saved shed loads!

hope that helps. enjoy.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 09-22-2009 at 12:28 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
dudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
hi,
to partially quote a previous post of mine:

i used a dd55 for a while -
toptip! (IMO)
change the 'pad sensitivity' setting, from the default on power up of 1, to 2, for highest dynamic range and far better response, particularly for sticks/rolls etc. am not sure if its remembered after a power-down/ac removed, so you may have to set it when you power up/plug in.

check the manual as you have to press two buttons at the same time, then a 3rd - have a look: here it is in fact (google huh?!):

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...LATION&LGFL=Y#

I butchered my dd55 for its pads - they are quite easy to remove.. (yank em). some are now having a new better life as 'cymbal pads' for my diy mesh head edrum setup...

IMO I believe you can get better response by plugging the pads direct in to an audio input and using ktdrumtrigger or drumagog type fx etc. to trigger a drum vsti.
bit of eq and maybe compression on the signal and you can get really good response.
I have done things that way as even if my homebrew triggers are not perfect i can tweak the signal far more than any drum brain would allow to achieve a good response. downside is 8 or more audio inputs are taken up, but I saved shed loads!

hope that helps. enjoy.
How does this work? Do you just drum on your desktop of something to input the beats and then shift the notes to the specific key in the midi editor?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by strunkdts View Post

That sounds neat
Could you post an audio clip of the sounds. especially the gtr amp thing
Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Drugs

Quote:
I don't understand. I'm new to this whole thing.
goto
http://vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48
http://www.toontrack.com/edrum_for_free.asp
there's alot of good stuff to learn
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
BenK-msx

sorry, I am not sure what you're question is dudie.. will have a guess:

forgetting all the dd55 stuff for a second.

i have triggers (some are dd55 pads that i removed, some are diy triggers using piezos mounted to mesh heads - as the other guys have pointed to!)

these are plugged in directly to my audio interface. no midi brain.
1 pad/drum per input.

sometimes the signal is hot so an input with gain control helps to tame things...

then i use e.g. numerous instances of the free vst ktdrumtrigger to trigger different midi notes based on the pad input.
that midi can then trigger a drum vsti...

for best velocity detection there is a latency of say 10ms - but with headphones on you can play live no problem i find.

no note moving is required once the trigger plugin is setup correctly (you choose which midi note it triggers)

- and yeh have a good old read around, nice use of an evening.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 09-22-2009 at 12:42 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #19
Driven1

Maybe this is kinda what you're looking for http://www.ionaudio.com/prosessiondrums

I have a set of their "Sound Session Drums." They were cheap at about $150 US. The triggers themselves aren't too bad and respond to 16 levels of pressure (volume). It comes with what is essentially a re-branded Alesis SR16 brain. There is also a midi out. My biggest gripes with the set I have here is that the provided drum rack and associated hardware pretty much suck as well as the Kick and Hi-Hat pedals, which by the way, aren't dynamic.The "Pro" set may (or may not) be better, although I see they still provide the cheap Kick and Hi-Hat Pedals.

They do work really well via midi into a DAW or whatever provided you have a good midi interface. I'm not a drummer but I like to "putz around" with them and they do the job. I experience no discernible latency at all with my system. At some point I'll be getting (or making) better Kick and Hi-hat Triggers and adding another cymbal trigger.

Don't confuse these with their "Drum Rocker" series. These are strictly game platform controllers. Drum Rocker cymbals etc. are not compatible with the midi drum series.

Another thing you may want to take into consideration is that the "Pro" and "Studio" series sets connect via USB creating their own USB Midi Ports. The Sound Session Kit has a standard Midi Out Socket.

Good luck.
Driven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #20
Dame Celia Molestrangler

Not exactly drum pads but ....

Have you considered something like the Korg padKontrol? I have used the DD55 in the past and couldn't get on with it at all. The padKontrol works superbly IMO.

Not for real drummists though.

My 2cents
Dame Celia Molestrangler is offline   Reply With Quote