Old 12-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Royster
Human being with feelings

Default Zero latency?

Hi everyone I'm new to Reaper and this forum.
I just recently made the change from PC to a MacBook Pro and decided to give Reaper a go so I purchased that as well as a new Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface.
A couple things have me stumped.
1. How do I get zero latency in my head phones? I'm a drummer and I use isolation headphones so need to hear some drums along with the song being played back.
2. I own a Presonus Faderport and can not get it working, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Royster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
heygermandude

Hey there, welcome to Reaper.

Hit Command and the comma key to get into the preferences menu. Select device from the left column and find where it says "request block size." Type in 128 or 256 for low latency. You won't get ZERO latency from any DAW.. that'll be a hardware thing. But, this will be so low in latency that you won't notice when you're tracking your drums.

For your faderport, hit command and the comma key again and select control surfaces from the left column. click add, then hit the drop down box and select presonus faderport. You should be good to go from there.
heygermandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
serr

Are you performing live with triggered drum samples in Reaper?

If yes, then you need to dial down the latency of the system as noted by heygermandude.

Or are you just needing to monitor your live inputs for tracking with mics? With no instrument plugins being run live or fx plugins being used live.

If this, then use the low latency mixer built into the interface to monitor your live inputs. That's what it's for. (Then set the latency in Reaper to something high like 1024 samples to save processing power for mixing.)

The Faderport is a "control surface" and will refuse to be used as a "MIDI controller" FYI. Select it under control surface in preferences.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote