Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings

Default Triplets, out of pocket rhythms, and the MIDI editor

I've never done much with MIDI, but lately I've started to put together some things as demos for the band (as they're all 'feelz' players) and I've got a song where the drums are working a triplet based shuffle and the bass is walking a bit out of pocket behind it.

I know I can quantize to triplets, but there are still parts of the kit and bass that I just can't get to line up correctly. I've got some of it worked out with a MIDI keyboard, but my keyboard skills aren't all that great, so I end up having to edit anyway. And that is the part that is killing me. Is the Reaper MIDI editor all that is available? Is there some way I can apply generalized rules to lots of events, rather than one by one? There has to be an easier way to do this, right?

I know a lot of people are doing some absolutely mad stuff with Reaper and MIDI, which means you guys are either the most patient people on Earth, or I'm missing some big pieces of the puzzle.

Can you help a brother out?
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
morgon
Human being with feelings

I guess there's ways using dynamic split, marker, quantize etc but I usually record voice or gtr on a new track that describes the timing Im looking for in the bass track [the correct pitches dont matter] -if I can get that right sounding with the drums, then I superimpose the MIDI editor over the newly recorded wave track and drag the MIDI bass notes to the timing of the waveforms on that track. Doesn't take all that long to align an entire track with a bit of practice.

For anyone who wants to use this method, -open the bass MIDI trk in the MIDI editor [Piano roll] then click the little exclamation mark icon in the extreme bottom left corner of the screen, unattach the window from the docker so it floats, set Opacity to 75% [which is also on the dropdown menu of the exlamation mark icon] then right click the area above the Piano Roll, choose View, then Piano Roll Timebase then Project synced. Now it's possible to drag the floating MIDI editor to the audio [wave] track you recorded and you can see it underneath the MIDI editor which remains in sync with all other tracks regardless of resizing windows or other adjustments.

Last edited by morgon; 11-28-2016 at 02:28 PM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote