Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
RDBOIS
Banned

Default Questions about compression - Makeup Gain vs Fader

Regarding compression - A few newbie questions -

If I compress an audio signal:

1) Will raising the makeup gain of the compressor be the same as raising the fader of the track (post FX)?

2) Does it depend on the type/brand/make/design of the compressor; do they all work the same way Vis-a-Vis the make up gain?

3) If the makeup gain and fader do the same, then is the makeup gain only useful for an A/B comparaison?

Thanks
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

I suppose it's possible that some compressors might have some nonlinearity after that gain knob, so that hotter signals will get distorted the way an analog unit might. Generally, though, gain is gain and attenuation is attenuation. The big difference between using the plugin parameter instead of the track fader is that the plugin parameter will be before any other plugs in the chain. That really only matters if those plugs are also nonlinear, but...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
DVDdoug

Quote:
1) Will raising the makeup gain of the compressor be the same as raising the fader of the track (post FX)?
Yes.

Quote:
2) Does it depend on the type/brand/make/design of the compressor; do they all work the same way Vis-a-Vis the make up gain?
Yes, but the amount of make-up gain may be different.

Quote:
3) If the makeup gain and fader do the same, then is the makeup gain only useful for an A/B comparaison?
Without makeup gain, compression makes the track quieter. But, the goal of compression is usually to make the track louder. (That would generally apply to the master... If you are compressing one or more tracks before mixing and you're going use the fader anyway, it may be just as easy to skip the makeup gain.)

Last edited by DVDdoug; 01-04-2017 at 03:18 PM.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
RDBOIS
Banned

Thanks.

I guess I'll be more careful and read the user manuels and specs to make sure the makeup gain is not adding distortion or other non-linear coloring.

I just read that ThrillseekerLA features a non-linear amplifier stage which is based on a non-linearity with memory yielding creamy signal coloration duties.

"...There are actually two stories behind the ThrillseekerLA venture: One being the creation of a cutting edge compressor design for the digital domain while the other one is about taking a huge leap forward on my journey towards stateful saturation..."

"If a digital compressor design is also dealing with non-linear affairs the things are getting even worse and not seldom not only aliasing is introduced but also the stereo image remains flat and boring. This is where the stateful handling of non-linear systems chimes in to bring sexy back and this is performing first with ThrillseekerLA"

"...most digital compressor implementations are still suffering from this and are typically featuring some mid-high frequency exaggerations which brightens up the signal but also making them sounding harsh. I’m pretty much sure for now that the fact that we can still spot the difference between some analog circuit designs and its digital model counterpart that much easily, is fundamentally related to the insufficient handling of IM distortion in the digital domain..."

Variety of Sounds
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
RobertP

This was helpfull to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-v1euba3V0

Lots here
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/videos.php