Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #1
studer58
Human being with feelings

Default mixing out of Reaper into analog desk, but no hardware effects

I'm going to try an approach using Reaper with an Allen/Heath 24 channel analog mixer and a pair of Echo Audiofire 8's which will give me 16 analog sends from Reaper to the mixer. Return 2mix to Reaper will be via 2 of the Audiofire inputs.

So far so good...but what about effects ? Since most of the preliminary mixing was done in Reaper using a variety of plugins, I'm actually quite happy to continue using these in the analog mixing process, especially as I don't have much in the way of hardware effects anyway.

Within Reaper I've simply dedicated 2 mix faders as effects returns, and done the usual I/O track routing of sends from individual channels to the 2 returns, as if it were an ITB process. The parent channels for all instruments and effects will no longer be the Reaper main mix but individual outputs via the 2 interfaces.

My question: is this likely to work without latency, as the effect routing is all going to ocur within Reaper and the summed effect returns with then be sent out to the mixer as 2 hardware faders on the desk.

I know it's more conventional to use hardware effects in this context of employing analog mixing, but is there anything I need to watch out for if I'm using strictly plugins within Reaper, and then bringing them out as returns via 2 mixer faders...and no use of hardware effects at all ?
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote