Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
stevemate
Human being with feelings

Default Focusrite Scarlett dead?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB interface within Reaper. I'm running it on a HP envy 14 notebook with Win7 64 bit.

Everything has been working absolutely perfectly up until yesterday - I took my notebook and the interface to play a gig, where I wanted to connect the microphone to the Scarlett->Reaper->FX then connect the output of the saffire into the mixing desk to run through the PA. (Because the mixing desk has no onboard effects - reverb etc).

Something happened and everything lit up on the Scarlett and the channels seemed to be 'maxed out'. After this there was no signal in either of the input channels, and no output from the interface. I unplugged everything and ended up running all the microphones straight into the desk instead.

Today I've re installed the drivers and tried every USB port on the notebook but there's still no signal from the inputs when a microphone or guitar is plugged in, and the gain lights don't even register. The computer and Reaper still recognize the Scarlett, and Reaper will still play a session while the Scarlett is selected as the audio device - but there is no sound coming from the outputs and the microphone output.

There is a slight crackling sound coming from the Scarlett as well, even without anything plugged into the inputs.

I'm worried I might have 'blown up' the channels or somehow spiked the interface? I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue and if it's possible to fix!?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.. thank you in advance!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Did you use a jack to xlr cable? Was the desk sending phantom power?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
serr

I suspect phantom power was left on on those channels on the board.

The inputs aren't even working? Then it likely blew up more than just the output coupling capacitors in your interface. Sorry for your loss.

Always always always check for phantom power if you are plugging the output from your own mixing rig (ie. your audio interface) into a mixing desk instead of directly into the amp rack!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
SimonDodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I suspect phantom power was left on on those channels on the board.

The inputs aren't even working? Then it likely blew up more than just the output coupling capacitors in your interface. Sorry for your loss.

Always always always check for phantom power if you are plugging the output from your own mixing rig (ie. your audio interface) into a mixing desk instead of directly into the amp rack!
That is precisely why I cannot comprehend all these desks that have global phantom power instead of switched per channel. How much does a toggle on each channel cost? A few cents per?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDodd View Post
That is precisely why I cannot comprehend all these desks that have global phantom power instead of switched per channel. How much does a toggle on each channel cost? A few cents per?

Generally, anything with balanced XLR outputs should tolerate phantom power, and you only get problems with adapter cables going to unbalanced outputs, but I've fried mixer XLR outputs with phantom power (I had to replace capacitors).

I always switch off phantom on the bass gtr channel when taking a bass amp XLR direct output too, you never know whether they will take kindly to 48Vdc.

Comiserations if that's what you've done...

>
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
stevemate

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Did you use a jack to xlr cable? Was the desk sending phantom power?
Thanks for the reply. It was a jack to jack cable, and the desk was ancient and yeah had phantom power to all channels.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
stevemate

Thanks everyone! As I posted, the desk was old-school as so I thinking the phantom power came back to my interface and blew capacitors? I've tried everything but to no avail. I am taking the interface to an electronics shop tomorrow so hopefully we get to the bottom of it. Thanks again
Old 06-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
stevemate

Hey all

It seems as though the interface is well and truly cactus. I took it to a few shops here in Brazil but no one seems to be able to help me out.. even if it's the capacitors by the time I buy them and have them sent from Sao Paulo and replaced etc etc I think it'll be better off to buy a new one...

Before I go ahead and replace the Scarlett 2i2 - can anyone recommend something else ? I'm considering jumping up to the Forte, but not sure about the price increase, especially buying here in Brazil where it's a bit more expensive. I've been looking at the Roland Duo Ex, Motu Microbook (I only need 1 mic input!) Or should I just bite the bullet and fork out the extra cash for the Forte?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemate View Post
(I only need 1 mic input!) Or should I just bite the bullet and fork out the extra cash for the Forte?

Thanks
Get the interface with the i/o you need now and you can always add more interfaces later on to expand your system should you need more inputs. It's modular like that. More on that in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...43&postcount=2
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
CommanderMeaty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wrzmCeJbs for everyone that still hasn't got it figured out
CommanderMeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
stevemate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderMeaty View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wrzmCeJbs for everyone that still hasn't got it figured out
HAHA! Seems to be the only way to get any happiness out of this thing :/
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #12
CommanderMeaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemate View Post
HAHA! Seems to be the only way to get any happiness out of this thing :/
exactly, and I'm from Montreal Canada, didn't get stuff working much here either.
anyway, here to a better futur, a new interface, in the near futur! there I would be really glad! hahaha
CommanderMeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
bazsound

The 2i2 has balanced outputs which i believe are active.

~Depending on the type of balancing depends on how you go balanced - unbalanced. wether you short 1 of the connections together or leave 1 disconnected.

this can also damage the outputs.

however it sounds more like a phantom power damage than simply blowing the output stage...

Always try and use DI's which will seperate phantom fromt he source,
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote