Old 05-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #1
Chain
Human being with feelings

Default Is this mix ok?

I need some feedback on this track... i used the LCR method..
are there other methods i should use for checking the mix(like the mono compatibiliy)? I think there is some bass missing..

https://soundcloud.com/tulpe/alone-new-mix
Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Nizhny Tagil

I don't know if it's by choice or not, but to me the mix sounds like it's through a telephone. I don't really hear any high or low frequencies.
I don't hear anything wrong except that.

It never hurts to check for mono compatibility, but in my experience mono and LCR panning don't get along too well.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
cc85

It sounds like a majority of it is panned straight down the middle. I think some separation would help greatly. Even if it means duplicating each track and pushing one forward by 15 to 20 ms and panning hard left and right. Its also a bit repetitive so some changes would help keep interest. Also, the way it is now has a strong With or Without you feel.

Last edited by cc85; 05-30-2017 at 10:27 PM.
cc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
haervo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
... Also, the way it is now has a strong With or Without you feel.
Whats not necessarily a bad thing. :-)

To the mix: I would at first disable ALL EQs and comps on ALL tracks and try to get a balance with only the faders. Then stage the stereo field, pan some instruments, e.g. the pad in the background could be really stretched out over the whole stereo width.

After that I would listen to what is really out of bounds EQ wise. I dont think there is much... but I could be wrong.

Very important is to have one or some reference tracks to compare to while mixing. Our ears and brains get so fast used to a sound we are working on and we losse every perspective if we dont readjust our hearing.

Ah, and to the mix as it is now: Honestly, that is very bad. What doesnt mean, that you cant improve on mixing. I think everyone started out down there in the rabbit hole. So, no pun intended. Make your mixes great (again)!

PS: Slap a limiter onto the master and have sometimes a look at it and make sure it doesnt rip off more than - lets say for this song - 2db. That way you will find your mix in a comfortable range regarding loudness.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #5
marcel mono

First of all, i really like the riffs musically, very dreamy

As the previous posters have already pointed out, there are some mix issues regarding the lack of low end. So i would like to give my thoughts on your sound/arrangement choices:

First, the Drums/perc are really lacking (besides the obvious lack of low-end) and way to clicky. It distracts from the really nice guitar melody. They could do with a bit more impact. Also, besides making them less clicky, adding (more) reverb to e.g. the snare would help a lot. Think of 80's synth-pop style drums, those would fit with your other elements quite nicely imo.

Second, the new vocal/guitar riff coming in at about 3:50 really sounds like it belongs to another track, it feels out of place. The "whiny" part also doesn't fit with the rest of the elements, i'ts to loud and just "on top". If you would like to keep it, add more space and turn it down a bit.

So, that's my two cents. I hope you can get something helpful out of it!

Keep on making music

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Chain

Default Thank you!!

Thank you all for pointing me into the right direction...
i will need some time to improve my mixing.. still have to practise a lot...