Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
fredv
Human being with feelings

Default See EQ in mixer view

Hi,

I remember having seen that in Sonar you can show a built-in EQ in the Mixer view. That means you can have EQ controls and graphical representation above the volume and pan sliders. And of course possibility to tune it directly from the Mixer view.

Is it possible to have such a thing in Reaper ? is it planned ?

That would be great to make plugins like ReaEQ or ReaComp "docked" in mixer view

(see the .png included for a screenshot found on the web about sonar mixer)

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonar7mixer.jpg (66.8 KB, 790 views)
fredv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
valem

That would be a great feature!!
valem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
brainwreck

how would the mixer space handle multiple bands with frequency, gain, and bandwidth? seems like it would get mucked up real fast.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
fredv

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
how would the mixer space handle multiple bands with frequency, gain, and bandwidth? seems like it would get mucked up real fast.
I remember it was a very basic 3-band EQ.
But what i prefer was the graphical representation of it : maybe we could keep on configuring the EQ in a separate window and only make appear the graph in mixer. I think that's very useful to always see it while mixing
Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
brainwreck

it just doesn't seem like enough space is available in the mixer for even a moderately useful eq. something i remember seeing in cubase are user customizable panels. to me, that would be a more practical solution.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
d. gauss

i've always maintained that reaper would benefit users like me greatly by having a bypassable/hideable built-in eq. (just like every analog mixing console in the world, and a lot of DAWS)

to have an adequate 3 or 4 band EQ plus a simple high pass/rumble switch always at your finger tips is a real time-saver and momentum maintainer.

to wit, i never cared for the built in EQ in nuendo 3, but i sure used the heck out of it during time pressured tracking sessions to tweak playbacks & rough mixes on the fly.

and hey, if it is hideable/bypassable it doesn't hurt anyone...
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
chip mcdonald

/ insert joke: here

Every DAW should have eq controls instantly available IMO.

Or better, would be knobs that you could assign to your own particular favorite VST eq.

/ sigh.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
rluk

This has been one of the mostly discussed feature requests for a long time. I am definately one of those who would like to see this happen.

I like how Samplitude handles this, it has 4 "knobs" what you can turn to adjust gain amount and numeric fields where you can insert frequency. Right click anywhere on the knobs will pop up eq plugin window for further tweaking.
Ability to adjust high- and lowpass and 2 midfrequencies straight from
the mixer view would really speed up the workflow in my opinion.
rluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
daverich

No please.

don't bloat the reaper.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
plamuk

i've got no need for it. why have it in the mixer if any more surgical eq vst can be called up instantly in the FX?
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
jamester

This comes up every few months or so - the forum seems split down the middle on this.

Personally I don't care for it, less visual bloat and I really don't mind one extra click in order to see the full EQ screen. Even when I used Sonar I clicked to show the whole EQ, never used the tiny track controls. I still use the Sonitus EQ also, so definitely don't want ReaEQ forced on my track...
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
livedead13

eq is an effect and should be treated as such.

fully modular customizable buttons would be cool.

hard coded dedicated eq knobs would not.

Last edited by livedead13; 02-11-2009 at 01:40 PM.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Liquidclear

I'm not into this idea at all...optional and customizable knobs might be alright.
Liquidclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
rluk

Like Jamester says, this feature request comes up every few months and always half the people want it and half do not.
Clearly there are a lot of us, who would like to see this happen (assignable knobs would be even better) and if it would be optional, why to oppose it so strongly?
Though it is just an effect, it is one that gets a lot of use.

Look how the sends work at the moment, you can view them on the mixer or not.
I m sure some click the i/o button every time, and some adjust the send knob
(which is a bit small btw :P). I'd hardly call it bloat.

Maybe I ve been sitting behind windows computers for too long, and have just developed some sort of allergy against popupwindows, so it makes me shiver a bit when I have to pop up a window just to add a little bit of gain on 80hz
Old 02-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
vanpet

I hate that mini-EQ in Sonar, it's almost pointless and takes precious screenspace.

I don't want to be forced to see a visual representation of my EQ while mixing. Makes me take bad mixing decisions...
vanpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
fredv

rluk, i agree with you .. i can't understand why so many people don't want it because it would take space on the mixer or bloat Reaper .. : don't they think it would be an optional feature ?

Just imagine there could be an option : "enable mini EQ in mixer view" yes or no .. those who want it enable it, those who don't want don't ..
or a way to create customizable knobs or to display a graphical EQ .. all optional of course

You know, i will never use any of the MIDI features and i still don't complain if someone asks for one as long as it won't appear on my screen every day .. Reaper is good because almost everything can be enable/disable/set up in the options ..

EQ is an effect, ok, but everyone can say it's a very special effect : one that can easily be enabled on all tracks .. and one that usually appears on all tracks of most consoles .. why not adding them in Reaper's mixer ?

I think the best would be to be able to add optional and customizable knobs in the mixer : it would allow anybody to use them anyhow (for eq or any other settings)

I don't want to fight to have this feature, i don't ABSOLUTELY need it .. that's just, i think, it can be almost as useful in mixer's view as Pan or Sends
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
fredv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpet View Post

I hate that mini-EQ in Sonar, it's almost pointless and takes precious screenspace.

I don't want to be forced to see a visual representation of my EQ while mixing. Makes me take bad mixing decisions...
Can't you disable it in Sonar ?
Of course you can, why not removing it ?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
rluk

Fredv - exactly!

I too hardly ever use midi, but I don't go spamming NONONO! on every FR that has word "midi" in it. Because, as far as I am concerned, the midi is not even there, I never use it, I never see it
Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
brainwreck

i don't think that having an eq in the mixer is a bad thing, but i just don't think the limited space would allow it to be useful enough to be worth the developer's time. i've actually been on the other side of this argument before. of course an instantly accessible eq would be nice, but i bet that most users would end up opening the full eq for more functionality.

fredv, do you have this checked? plugins > only allow one fx chain windows open at a time

it makes switching between track eqs pretty quick.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #20
Youn

you can do this trick that uses the send controls on the track to control any plugin parameter.

I've attached a track template so you can quickly see it working. The only extra thing you'll need to do is goto project settings and turn on feedback routing.

It basically works by sending a signal into a track and then sending that track back to the original track, and routing the track channels in such a way so that the returning signal is used to modulate the plugin parameter.

It's not at all practical in the large scheme of things, but might open some doors to other experimentation or if you ABSOLUTELY need the feature.
Attached Files
File Type: rtracktemplate trackEQ.RTrackTemplate (3.3 KB, 201 views)
Youn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #21
vanpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv View Post
Can't you disable it in Sonar ?
Of course you can, why not removing it ?
because i now use reaper of course :d
vanpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #22
fredv

brainwreck, yes i'm already using it and yes it's quite easy .. you know, as i have said i don't really really need the mini EQ feature .. but i thought, if there is one thing i have already seen in another DAW and which is not in reaper, it is this mini eq feature and i think i'm not the only one

Youn, thanks for the tip .. a little complicated yes but really, i feel quite easy to be able to quickly tune settings from the mixer view .. that would be excellent to have such configurables knobs for effects without tricks like that
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
dub3000

-1. what happens if i have two eq's on one track (e.g. one before and one after a compressor?)
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #24
The Spark

No thank you.
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
chip mcdonald

Can someone explain to me WTF having the option to put VST knobs on the TCP has to do with "bloat"?

Curiously, almost every mixer I've ever used is "bloated" in such a way.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #26
Mercado_Negro

-1 ... Don't like the idea at all. Clutter our nice mixer with an eq is something I'd not like to see. But... if Cockos Team is going to add it as an option we can disable to get rid of it COMPLETELY if we don't want it then why not? The half that wants it may use it.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
Lokasenna

I wouldn't mind this, but I'd much prefer just having all of the FX in a track show up as one rack. Either or.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #28
bogo

No thanks.
bogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #29
cbenci

Location: In your cupboard with something for you in my hand.

Assignable knobs +1000.

I was thinking about it - the two must have channel strip items are eq and compression. Why not have a switchable panel in mixer view between effects and assignable knobs? These knobs can be assigned to anything and have text labels for each. These buttons could also be used for a more traditional send if need be.

I have attached a quick mock up.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper---Assign-buttons.png (43.1 KB, 498 views)

www.thoughtbox.com.au - www.trojanband.com.au
cbenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #30
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
a bypassable/hideable built-in eq.
please read the above again before going off on it.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #31
chip mcdonald

Default Medicinal marijuana, abortion, taxes and Reaper

This is one of the weirdest phenomenons I've witnessed on the Net, and I've seen a lot.

It's almost like I'd said "should we have the option to only have Republicans or only Democrats on the TCP?" or some such!

If it's an OPTION what's the problem????

/ old school: I started on a "mixing board" in a "recording studio" using a "tape machine"
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
chip mcdonald

Default Stem cells

I think Reaper would be better if we incorporated placental stem cells to mend poor edits in the wave view, but only for Republicans and those that support the NRA, unless they carry an ACLU card and don't support alcohol sale on Sunday.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #33
jamester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
This is one of the weirdest phenomenons I've witnessed on the Net, and I've seen a lot.
The phenomenon of people giving their opinions on someone's suggestion? Some people like an idea, some don't...not weird at all, really.

Just because something's being proposed as "optional" doesn't mean people have to like it. If that's the case, then why bother starting a thread asking about it? If it's presented as "optional" then we all HAVE to agree?

Personally, while the idea of custom-configurable knobs and such sounds kinda cool, why add all this coding (for Justin) and such when it's only one click to open the proper EQ/Comp window like we have now? I could click a button on the mixer to show a limited number of controls for the "built-in", OR I could click a button and see the entire screen and all the controls...I think I prefer the latter; optional or not, that's just my opinion.
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
three_eyed_otter

I like the idea. For those ppl. who like to "track" sounds and not produce them ITB then a simple eq does the trick on the console and would be sweet. Let's face it, the motto w/eq is, "use it sparingly, etc."

So yeah...+1 for the bloatware.

have a good one
3Eo
three_eyed_otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #35
Evan

I like the idea of seeing the EQ curve on mixer tracks (in a mini form). Optionally of course. I wouldn't call it an essential feature for me though.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #36
soul&folk

Oh, remember this conversation... Here we go again. And where's that thread where someone who's good at graphic design made some mockups?

I'm all for it but am managing OK without it.

http://www.motagator.net/bands/25/
soul&folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #37
GreyBeard

Default How about this?

How about a 3-4 band eq plugin that has 3 or 4 little wheel knobs that show up in the mixer view like routing knobs do. You would have to check "Show FX inserts when size permits" of course. It wouldn't bloat anything and would give the type of access many are looking for.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #38
hux

Count me in.

Flavio did a bang up job of implementing eq into the console unobtrusively, IMHO..as far as bloat, it's no more bloat than having the effects enumerated on the console when they're all right there under the friggin effects button. LOL

Besides, if it's an option then I do believe that would imply that it's optional. If you don't like it, just turn it off, eh?
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #39
audioguytodd

+1 for it.

I liked it in Sonar even though I didn't use it very much. The main thing I liked about it was the instant visual verification of EQ settings (albeit at a very small resolution) from the mixer.

It is easy to see, "Oh, I forgot to put a Hi-pass on THAT vocal track...".
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #40
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamester View Post
The phenomenon of people giving their opinions on someone's suggestion?
No.

Quote:
If that's the case, then why bother starting a thread asking about it? If it's presented as "optional" then we all HAVE to agree?
I didn't say that.

Quote:
sounds kinda cool, why add all this coding (for Justin) and such when it's only one click to open the proper EQ/Comp window like we have now?
For the reasons stated.