Old 07-19-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
jimmey
Human being with feelings

Default Can Reaper send SysEx?

Is Reaper capable of sending SysEx messages containing infos about tracks, midi files, FX parameters and FX lists?
jimmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

Yes (if I understand you correctly). There is no dedicated editor for them, though. SysEx can be recorded just like any other MIDI data. You can create/edit SysEx messages either in the MIDI editor's controller lane or the event list, or in the ReaControlMIDI plugin (a single message per instance).
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Lazarus

I'm interested in what the task is that requires such info sent using Sysex....
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
jimmey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I'm interested in what the task is that requires such info sent using Sysex....
I would like to create a program that acts as an interface between Reaper and Abletons Push Midi Controller. It needs infos like parameter name in SysEx form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Yes (if I understand you correctly). There is no dedicated editor for them, though. SysEx can be recorded just like any other MIDI data. You can create/edit SysEx messages either in the MIDI editor's controller lane or the event list, or in the ReaControlMIDI plugin (a single message per instance).
So I can make Reaper automatically send things like Track volume in dB, FX List, FX parameters? Or request? Preferably in SysEx form, otherwise I would need to parse it.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
gofer
-blänk-

My reply was more targeting the ordinary use of SysEx, like dump requests, setup messages and such. But apparently you're more after sending DAW control messages to a controller, so fixed MIDI editor messages won't help you there.

I think you want to look either into creating a Control Surface dll, or into device control via OSC messages (and something like PureData to convert OSC <-> SysEx). Both methods should be able to send the info you're asking for. I can't help further with that, sorry .
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
jimmey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
My reply was more targeting the ordinary use of SysEx, like dump requests, setup messages and such. But apparently you're more after sending DAW control messages to a controller, so fixed MIDI editor messages won't help you there.

I think you want to look either into creating a Control Surface dll, or into device control via OSC messages (and something like PureData to convert OSC <-> SysEx). Both methods should be able to send the info you're asking for. I can't help further with that, sorry .
Ok. Yeah I was kinda expecting the need of OSC. Shouldn't be too hard. Thanks anyway!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Lazarus

You could have a sniff around the source code for the Alphatrack device...

http://sourceforge.net/p/alphatrackpro/code/HEAD/tree/

... to see a fully implemented control surface, complete with VS and Xcode solutions.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote