Old 05-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Chain
Human being with feelings

Default Jsfx programming on mac(Need Help)

Hello reapers!! This is my first post... be polite
I am a noob at this so be prepared
Latley i found some interst in coding my own effects/instruments for reaper... i tried some tutorials over the net.... but found only some for windows... in those they where using the notepad++.. i tired to use that with wine but i didnt got the result i wanted so i switched to sublime text... it is a text editor and i choose the js(java script i think) in the user section(i dont know how it got into the user section )... i started to code in that language.. i saved the instrument but reaper cannot find the jsfx-inc file... i put the file into the user plugin folder and did the rescan.. didnt find it...
which format do i have to use that reaper recognises the instrument?
it is still not finished but i think it should read it..
where can i learn more about coding instruments/effects for reaper?
(refering to other sources not like on reaperfm)
are there any books/pdf/videos where i can learn more about coding instruments/effects for reaper?
which format i should use to code? python or js? (i have seen i have both and an reaper fm it is written that eel is to do the audio/midi work)
is there any documentation for python on the net refering to reaper?
sorry if i have to ask so much... those are my first struggels i hope you can help me..
i have experience with pure data (dsp) and i want to expand my knowlegde in coding and to use my synths in reaper without using jack to connect reaper with virtual cabels to pure data and the installed midi driver to send midi data from reaper to pure data..
Attached Images
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-29 um 00.39.51.png (50.6 KB, 286 views)
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
cfillion

JS for REAPER effects stands for "Jesusonic" (http://www.cockos.com/jesusonic/), not JavaScript. Any text editor can do the job, but note that REAPER has its own IDE built-in with special features for JSFX programming.

The "jsfx-inc" file extension is meant for included file (the "inc" in jsfx-inc): they are hidden from REAPER's FX browser. Use no extension at all for your FX instead or the ".jsfx" extension (any file extensions except the few that are hidden works). As stated in the documentation (http://reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php):
Quote:
Note that files that are designed for import only (such as function libraries) should ideally be named xyz.jsfx-inc, as these will be ignored in the user FX list in REAPER.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
Chain

Default Formats

i tried to make it in the editor in reaper but when i try to add sliders(@slider) or to make the description (desc it gives me always an error... is there a way to do that in eel, lua, or python? when i modify a effect or instrument it works... when the file type is jsfx... but how do i make a script in that format with the editor in reaper? the editor in reaper has just that 3 file types...
i attached a picture with an example with the eel code and the errors that i am getting... i dont know how to debug them in the editor of reaper...
when i use sublime text it doesnt happen....
Attached Images
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-29 um 14.14.21.png (33.2 KB, 312 views)
File Type: png Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-29 um 14.06.57.png (37.3 KB, 309 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
mschnell

Take a look at the many working JSFX pluigins that come with reaper or that are available via ReaPack. At best first try short ones.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
i tried to make it in the editor in reaper but when i try to add sliders(@slider) or to make the description (desc it gives me always an error...
Are you maybe trying to use the ReaScript IDE editor? That should not be used for JesuSonic effects, which have a similar looking IDE window but specially meant for developing JesuSonic effects...

Slightly confusingly, Reaper has 2 implementations for the Eel language : the other for JesuSonic effects and the other for ReaScript. They are not really compatible. JesuSonic effects can only be written with the Eel language and not with Lua or Python.

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-29-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #6
Chain

Default Cant find editor!!

I use reaper on mac....
where do i find the js development enviorment?
i tired to add that on the "show action list" but i couldnt find "reajs" or something that is similar to it.. i just found the reascript editor...
my idea is to find it and add the shortcut to the menutoolbar....
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
I use reaper on mac....
where do i find the js development enviorment?
i tired to add that on the "show action list" but i couldnt find "reajs" or something that is similar to it.. i just found the reascript editor...
my idea is to find it and add the shortcut to the menutoolbar....
When you have a JesuSonic plugin open, there is an "Edit" button which opens the JS IDE. You can create a new JS plugin from the FX Browser's FX menu with the "Create new JS FX..." action.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
Chain

Default Thanks!!!

Ok i found that command... how do i add this to the main toolbar?
Old 05-31-2017, 06:01 AM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
Ok i found that command... how do i add this to the main toolbar?
I don't think these are available as actions that you could assign to shortcut keys or toolbars.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #10
Chain

Default Thanks!!!

ok... thanks for all your help!!! it got me a step closer to get what i wanted to do... !!!