Old 04-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
matthewjumpsoffbuildings
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin browser/manager for Reaper

Seeing as Reaper has one of the worst/most inflexible plugin browsers in any DAW ive used, and the devs havent given the FX browser any real love in ages, how hard would it be to make a Reaper extension that can be used instead of the native FX browser?

Im assuming it would have to be in C++, I doubt Lua/EEL would be sufficient, is that correct?

Id like to try and make something with some basic, essential plugin browser stuff (nested folders, tagging etc), but I have only had experience with the Lua side of the Reaper API, would anyone who knows the Reaper C++ side be able to fill me in on if such a task is doable, or if its a waste of time?

Or if you think its doable in Lua, that would be even better, but my gut says thats unlikely

Cheers.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Xenakios

It would be very tricky to do as the Reaper API does not have full support for managing audio plugins. Also things like drag and dropping plugins into a track from the custom browser would likely not be possible or would require extreme hacks at best.

I doubt there's much difference between C++ extension plugins and ReaScript in what could be achieved.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

god dammit :P

thanks for clarifying before i went off on a wild goose chase

guess we're stuck with the awful FX browser with no nested folders and not even basic drag and drop support... ugh
Old 04-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Xenakios

Well, it's not an entirely hopeless idea because at least the TrackFX_AddByName API exists and the scanned plugin informations are in the Reaper ini-files.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Fergler

The Bitwig plugin manager is probably the greatest I have ever seen. Soooo easy.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
The Bitwig plugin manager is probably the greatest I have ever seen. Soooo easy.
I'm not a fan of the plugin manager either. I created folders for my plugins but find it awkward to have to see all the other vst folders above it and when organizing them it's labor intensive to have to constantly click at the top level to focus all plugs and then go all the way to the bottom to filter. Not being able to nest folders is another weakness.

How about it devs ? Some plugin manager love ?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:45 AM   #7
cyrano

If there is a command to reload plugins, you could even imagine managing plugins in an external program, that moves plugins in/out of the plugin folder on demand.

But since there are some plugins that want/need to write some stuff to other locations and the fact that Pace still hasn't died, this looks like a can of worms too...