Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
rvrv
Human being with feelings

Default Lets build a better Virtual MIDI keyboard

Hi guys first sorry my english.

This is a bit of energizing / rally speech and i hope some skilled scripting gurus here will be motivated to take on this project or at least navigate me in the right direction.

Its about Virtual MIDI Keyboard in Reaper.

As a mobile laptop musician i try to make my workflow as much keyboard focused as possible because using laptop touchpad on tiny 11" screen slows you down so much and having to hit or drag GUI items on 11" screen with a laptop touchpad wears you out pretty fast.

I can navigate Reaper without mouse using custom shortcuts up to an incredible efficiency - basically recording, cutting, slicing, re-recording MIDI almost like editing text in Microsoft Word using keyboard cursor

THANKS REAPER FOR GIVING US THIS MUCH CUSTOMISATION OPTIONS - all other DAW's customability combined doesnt even hit 50% of Reapers possibilities.

You can be in a creative flow in Reaper even on a tiny laptop screen without external mouse. Until i need to punch in some drums or play a melody or bass line on VMK. Thats where the flow totally hits the ground and grind to halt.

VMK has couple fundamental limits and either way you go about it you will hit a wall:

Option 1) by Default VMK window needs to be focused to send notes to synths, this is worst scenario because if you try to tweak a synth you cant adjust parameters in synth GUI... you cant audition patch using VMK because VMK window is loosing focus... moreover when you record midi in project window or midi editor and you want to use shortcuts to stop, rewind, correct or overdub a note or short passage, you have to constantly switch in and out of VMK window focus... it will DRIVE YOU CRAZY IN 20 MINUTES !!!

Option 2) YES you can toggle option "Send all keyboard input to Virtual MIDI keyboard (even when other windows active)". There is even action available in shortcuts list. But after trying to use this for 2 days i feel its EVEN WORSE THAN Option 1 in many ways. WHY ? Because it hijacks ALL KEYS (letters, numbers, symbols, arrows) including the ones that are not used by any notes in VMK.

Option 2 in VMK basically robs you of ALL KEYS including some essential stuff you still need to use during recording a MIDI take using Virutal MIDI Keyboard.
Examples: BACKSPACE to quickly delete a bad take, R to turn repeat on/off for overdubs, any shortcuts or arrow keys you might use to quickly set/reset playhead to correct recording position, etc, etc.

Option 2 IS ALL OR NOTHING

Most laptop musicians are happy with 1 octave or 2 octave of virtual midi keys on laptop + 2 keys to shift octave up/down:

1 octave = 12 keys + 2 keys to shift octave up/down = 14 keys total
2 octaves = 24 keys + 2 keys to shift octave up/down = 26 keys total

It is totally unnecessary to hijack ALL 40+ KEYS on laptop keyboard to give you 1 or 2 octaves of midi notes (14 or 26 keys).
You could still use many essential and handy shortcuts to navigate around Reaper (especially on small laptop screens) while having MIDI Keyboard ready to record next take / retake / region overdub / etc.

I believe this could be achieved to hard-code "send midi note number XY ON" and "send midi note number XY OFF" to individual keys using shortcuts/REAscript/python… iam not expert here….
The octave shifting adds more complexity, where hitting "key x" or "key y" transposes note numbers in existing shortcut bindings by one octave up or down
And lastly this whole script could be globally enabled/disabled by global ON/OFF key - the defacto standard in most DAWs is CAPS LOCK to enable/disable Virtual MIDI keyboard functionality

There you have it.

This would completelly bypass the built in VMK in Reaper.

ADVANTAGES:

- no need to constantly jump in / out of VMK focus
- no need to decide if you need VMK or basic shortcuts at any given moment - they can function side by side - dedicate JUST 14 KEYS to VMK and you have the rest of keyboard to navigate Reaper while recording MIDI
- editability of binded keys - any computer savy person could easily open the structured script in Notepad and quick-edit the keyboard keys and the MIDI note numbers that are binded together
- global ON/OFF - using single shortcut or CAPSLOCK you could easily load/unload this entire VMK - CAPS LOCK has the benefit of LED light that tells you "Custom VMK is on"

POSSIBLE ISSUES:

- it might be impossble to have the script function when a VST synth GUI is in focus… iam not sure if you can fire scripts or send key shortcuts while adjusting VST SYNTH GUI at the same time….
Example: pressing C key to play/audition C note while moving FILTER CUTOFF dial knob in VST GUI

HOWEVER:

Even if you couldnt play VST synths while their GUI IS FOCUSED the "Custom VMK" would still be a GOD-SEND when you move from patch programming to recording notes in project window / midi editor
Maybe for PATCH PROGRAMMING you would still use "Built-in VMK" and when you are happy with patch sound and ready to record and edit your composition you would switch off "Built-in VMK" and fire up "Custom VMK"

==================================

Ok this rally speech took me 2 hours to write up i hope someone will feel this idea is worth starting a little project

In my opinion the simplicity and rigidity of the "Built-in VMK" is one of Reaper's weakest spots given how complex this software can be customised.

Thanks guys for reading this and cheers to the incredible Cockos Forums comunity
rvrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
mpl

Even if someone will build something​ like this, you will get a bigger problem: getting/refreshing info about mouse/pad touches on ReaScript GUI is limited to 30times a second approximately.

Take a look at my "Isomorphic keyboard" script from ReaPack (or get it here)
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
X-Raym

Indeed, native Virtual MIDI Editor is way to basic. Not easy to custom keys, but it is necessary if you don't have a qwerty layout.

That's why I prefer to use external software.

There is nice, flexible and customizable Virtual MIDI App out there,

check FreePiano | Advanced virtual MIDI keyboard for example

This may satisfy some of your needs
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote