Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
-R-
Human being with feelings

Default Noob try'in to theme..stuck at the beginning

Here it goes for the noobiest question ever asked, but today is the day I decided to (finally) theme, and I really want it.

I'm following th (awesome) White Tie guide. I unzipped the default theme, went to the folder, took the rtconfig file. I'm at the beginning of the guide, where White Tie ask to put everything of the tcp in comments. Done.
Make a new folder inside Color themes. A copy of the default folder with a new name and another rtconfig file.

No new theme shows in Reaper. So the question is: what to do you when you got your own config file?

Disclaimer: I haven't slept this night, so it could be an excuse why I'm missing the obvious. Thanks !
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

H'okay, firstly I recommend you work on the 'default' WALTER (that being the fallback code) which is in the appendix of the guide, not the V4 default theme, if that's what you're doing. So I'll be needing to edit that to be a lot more obvious!

Inside a .ReaperThemeZip file you have two non-image files;
  1. a .ReaperTheme file - in an unpacked theme, the name of this file will be the name of the theme as it appears in Reaper. Open it in a text editor and find the 'ui_img=....' line, which you will see points to the name of the folder with all the images in it.
  2. a .rtconfig file which will be inside the image folder. Open this in a text editor to see all the 'advanced' (i.e. you can't edit it with Reaper's internal theme editor) stuff, including the WALTER.

If you have a .ReaperThemeZip and a .ReaperTheme with the same name (which you might after an unpack) Reaper will favour the packed one. So; rename the .ReaperTheme file to, say, hello_world.ReaperTheme. (OPTIONAL : You might want to also rename the image folder to match, if so then change the ui_img line to point to that folder's new name)

Now fire up Reaper and choose your 'hello_world' theme.

Now go and find that .rtconfig file. Trash all the WALTER and replace it with the default (fallback) WALTER and you're good to go.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
-R-

It works! Great!

What I was missing is that Reaper favors the packed version. ( I think it might be worth to put in the guide, because it's not obvious)

What I did see however, is that from page 5 you tell us to open the default theme ( quote:FInd your REAPER path by choosing, in REAPER, “options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...”)

I was aware that elsewhere in the guide and on several occasions on the forum you tell us not to, but since it's written...

You mention on second half of page 6: Windows : C:\Program Files\REAPER4\InstallData\Data\default_layouts.txt but don't instruct to use it...

Anyway, I took my default rtconfig and removed everything Walter ( just kept Standards elements from the top), and replaced it with the code of page 43. Correct?

Thank you my friend, see you when I'm done with my theme!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
-R-

Oh, by the way, you advice several times here and there to get used to the old theming technique.
Do you mean the information found on the sticky topic: "Basic of theme editing", that you wrote in this forum, or something eles?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
-R-

Well, I'm on page 23 and I like it very much. I'm doin' a theme that I think will be cool but I miss something about colors. Page 23 tells about the reaper sdk in wich I don't find relevant information, and the theme editor in the preference doesn't do it all. I'm tryin' to set the default color for tcp. Other colors will follow: when track is selected, etc...
????

????
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The TCP Background? That will either be an image or (if no image is present) a code colour. Finding these elements is done by using the 'Theme Element Finder' in the Reaper Theme editor. Pick the first entry in 'Find Color' then hold the down button. When the area flashes pink, you've hit it. If it doesn't, do the same with the 'Find image'.