Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-17-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
Vagalume
Human being with feelings

Default what I am doing wrong? modifying theme process.

When I modify the "Default Reaper 5 Theme" is really easy and fast.

However with other themes I have to follow this slow process to make modifications:
https://vimeo.com/208806992

Is there a faster way to do it?

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-17-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 AM   #2
Lokasenna

You've got the Default theme unzipped, so you have direct access to its image folder and rtconfig.txt, and then they're automatically updated in Reaper.

When you rename another theme to .zip, you can extract to a .reapertheme and an image folder. Edit it that way all you want, it shows up the same in Reaper, and then only zip it back up again if you want to distribute your version of the theme.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
Janne83

You can open ReaperThemeZip files directly with winrar or 7zip. No need to rename.

Just right click on the file and choose Open with... and search for winrar (or 7zip if you have it installed).
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Vagalume

Option 1 --> If I do like Lokassena says themes don't load their images.
https://vimeo.com/208820736

Option 2 --> If I do like Janne says (it works) ... but I can't save my modificactions without the process I explained earlier because I have no access to content: the rtconfig.txt and the pngs.

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-17-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #5
Vagalume

"You can open ReaperThemeZip files directly with winrar or 7zip. No need to rename."

Ups, I missed that, now it works faster, saves a lot of time. Thankssssssssssss a lot !!!!

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-17-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Luster

Why not simply associate the "ReaperThemeZip" extension with 7zip or Winrar so it opens up without to rename every archive in before?

The other way around - in case you edit one theme the whole time and not multiple ones:
Extract into the ColorThemes folder as a separate folder within (rename.. new version number). Then fix the resource linking to the new folder in the ReaperTheme file. Now you can edit without archive management in the way - just reload the "images" (works also for rtconfig.txt edits) in the theme tweaker window.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Why not simply associate the "ReaperThemeZip" extension with 7zip or Winrar so it opens up without to rename every archive in before
In the stickies I advise users to use the renaming method because it works for everyone and leaves ReaperThemeZip associated with Reaper, which is of value when elsewhere you're telling people that double clicking on a theme file will install it. It also stops confusion over whether the user is looking at a packed theme in Reaper, or its unpacked version, if the packed version is no longer recognised by Reaper.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Option 1 --> If I do like Lokassena says themes don't load their images.
https://vimeo.com/208820736
Oh, right. After unzipping, open the .ReaperTheme file and look for the line "ui_img=" near the bottom; make sure that it matches the name of the image folder.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Vagalume

Quote:
Why not simply associate the "ReaperThemeZip" extension with 7zip or Winrar so it opens up without to rename every archive in before?

The other way around - in case you edit one theme the whole time and not multiple ones:
Extract into the ColorThemes folder as a separate folder within (rename.. new version number). Then fix the resource linking to the new folder in the ReaperTheme file. Now you can edit without archive management in the way - just reload the "images" (works also for rtconfig.txt edits) in the theme tweaker window.
Yes, yes yes ... ty soooooooooooooooo much Luster, it is perfect now It saves a lot of time, it is a pity I haven't read it 2 months before ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Oh, right. After unzipping, open the .ReaperTheme file and look for the line "ui_img=" near the bottom; make sure that it matches the name of the image folder.
I don't really know how to do that

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-17-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Luster

Quote:
Yes, yes yes ... ty soooooooooooooooo much Luster, it is perfect now It saves a lot of time, it is a pity I haven't read it 2 months before ...
No problem. Believe me - I suffered a long time also until I dug deeper and realized that theme editing this way is way more straight forward. Especially when you are a heavy user of the trial and error method.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
In the stickies I advise users to use the renaming method because it works for everyone and leaves ReaperThemeZip associated with Reaper, which is of value when elsewhere you're telling people that double clicking on a theme file will install it. It also stops confusion over whether the user is looking at a packed theme in Reaper, or its unpacked version, if the packed version is no longer recognised by Reaper.
Yep you are correct WT, thats why I proposed to use Open with...- it doesnt associate the file with a certain software so Reaper stays default one.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #12
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Ok. I understand the reasoning but for me telling the OS that an archive program can also open this file type (because in the end - it's just a zip) is in no way a disadvantage. It's a matter of taste what the double click on the file type will do. In case I want the other program to open it I just choose the "open with..." command. That's just one more click. It also frees the mind of the file extension dogma which was especially in the windows world way too hard cultivated - from a educational standpoint.
Most people who want to edit a theme aren't the type of consumer who just throw files at programs.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
Yep you are correct WT, thats why I proposed to use Open with...- it doesnt associate the file with a certain software so Reaper stays default one.
I guess that would be relevant if someone opens themes from outside Reaper ... not in my case, I open them from Reaper itself ... using the Media Explorer. For me, Luster's option is faster and more confortable.

Anyway, ty all of you for your help !!!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Janne83

Quote:
I guess that would be relevant if someone opens themes from outside Reaper ... not in my case, I open them from Reaper itself ... using the Media Explorer. For me, Luster's option is faster and more confortable.

Anyway, ty all of you for your help !!!
Glad you found your preferred way.

I need the double click option to install when Im testing different versions of my theme.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
Vagalume

Anyway, Janne I take note of your given info, the more options the better.

[Even I would try to fing out what Lokasenna meant with: "ui_img=" ]

Last edited by Vagalume; 03-17-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
Vagalume

Lokasenna, I've finally figured out what u meant

I opened the *.ReaperThemeZip file with the notepad+ and checked the "ui_img=" has the same name as the "ui_img=" in this case: ui_img=AM_JANNE_2017.ReaperThemeZip

Now Works perfectly

Really good day for me in Reaper thanks to all of you again.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
I need the double click option to install when Im testing different versions of my theme.
Reaper automatically updates the theme list whenever I click into it. Who needs to install anything?
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #18
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Reaper automatically updates the theme list whenever I click into it. Who needs to install anything?
I think he means selecting specific themes in the menu is cumbersome - especially when that list becomes very long. On the file browser it's just a double click..
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #19
Janne83

Quote:
I think he means selecting specific themes in the menu is cumbersome - especially when that list becomes very long. On the file browser it's just a double click..
Exactly