Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
dkeatscary
Human being with feelings

Default Yet another monitor recommendation thread!

The short of the long: I have about $800 to spend on a pair of studio monitors. I have a little setup in a spare room where I track my masterpieces and have a set of Rokit 5's that never felt quite right. They're good monitors but I find they don't make it easy to get good mixes on, at least for me. I use Reaper as my DAW, have a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, and do mostly rock-pop stuff. With the budget I've got, what would be a next step set of monitors? I've heard good things about the Event 20/20s and the Adam line, but since this is posted in the newbie section, I need some direction. Any thoughts?
dkeatscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeatscary View Post
The short of the long: I have about $800 to spend on a pair of studio monitors. I have a little setup in a spare room where I track my masterpieces and have a set of Rokit 5's that never felt quite right. They're good monitors but I find they don't make it easy to get good mixes on, at least for me. I use Reaper as my DAW, have a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, and do mostly rock-pop stuff. With the budget I've got, what would be a next step set of monitors? I've heard good things about the Event 20/20s and the Adam line, but since this is posted in the newbie section, I need some direction. Any thoughts?
I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't point you to this thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...hlight=equator
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
plgrmsprgrs

For $800 dollars I'd consider some DIY bass traps and still have money leftover for some nice monitors if still necessary after you treat the room.

Kyle
Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Link0126

Do you have any room treatment in the room? This is going to be helpful. Apparently, we are supposed to spend as much money on room treatment as we do on monitors. Although, I'm sure almost no one does this b/c it's not a fun way to spend money. You may also want to switch your configuration in the room as well. Different parts of the room will sound immensely different frequency wise.

Also, I have come to the conclusion from listening to professionals who mix in many conditions from pristine studios to modest home setups on headphones, that you can get a good mix on almost anything if you know what to listen for and learn your room/monitors.
Link0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
DVDdoug

I haven't heard them myself, but the Berhinger Truths (B2031A) have a reputation for being better than their price range (~$400 USD for the pair). I don't have the link, but apparently they compared favoriably with some much-more expensive monitors in a blind listening test.

Or, you might consider adding a subwoofer to your Rokits. (I'm old-school and it's hard for me to consider anything smaller than 8-inches to be a true "woofer".)

I agree with the comments about room treatment and the importance of "learning your monitors".

From the Fade Out column in this month's Recording Magazine:

Quote:
Hey! Treat Your Room, Stupid!

It usually starts quite harmlessly: you have just saved up enough money for a cool new studio toy.... "I just saved up X amount of dollars, what should I buy?"...

...Then it happens -- the arrival of the thread killer.
And he says, "You know you're better off sticking with the gear you already have and taking that money and treating your room!" Tires screech to a halt, civilians run for cover, and although you try and retort, it's too late, debate ensues, your thread is derailed and your excitement crushed...
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Muzikman2008

I just recently changed my studio monitors. I used Spirit Absolute 2's for years and years, my ears adjusted, no room treatment (i agree with other posts, you train your ears to tailor the desired sound)anyway... my spirits gave up the ghost, tweeters rattling, although they served me around 15 years so am not complaining... i eventualy decided time for new ones rather than spend £75 each on new tweeters... i bought some Tannoy Reveals (passive) as i had a limited budget. I read reviews on these, and was good reviews, and as i also had a samson servo 120 Amp to drive them it seemed a sensible choice. I nearly bought KRK Rockit 6 monitors but was pricey and i didnt need powered monitors.

Anyway... having got the Tannoy Reveals, i was wary of what i was going to hear after being used to my Spirit Absolute 2's, and was pleasantly surprised to hear the result in my (untreated) studio. Top end is crisp as anything, and bottom end full (slightly rounded)but lacking the mid range i had enjoyed from my Spirits. So... not what my ears are used to hearing, i decided to put a 10 band Graphic EQ on the amps output and "tailor" the sound to be what im used to using a recording i was farmiliar with, and hey presto... i get great mixes and a similar sound im used to.

This is probably a "crude" way to adjust a monitor situation, but it works, and i am happy with it, albeit.. i really need to sort out Bass reflections in my room, but this is easily done with time and effort... but as im sat in front of my monitors about 3 feet! most of the time its rarely an issue.

I would reccomend front bass ported monitors too as this drasticaly cuts out unwanted reflections from the Bass end bouncing off walls, as it is directed towards the listener... Also do not go for monitors less than 6" drivers or Sub woofers are needed which also adds to the pain in setting them up to get a decent "flat/Neutral" response which is what you should be looking to achieve in order to get a good mix.

Hope that helps, good luck! :-)
Muzikman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote