Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #1
onewayout
Human being with feelings

Default More Real-estate

Hi Everyone...

I have been seeing for years many photos where some people can get AMAZING amount of space out of there reaper themes! I always thought since I have been working primarily on a laptop that I wasn't able to get the same results....Until NOW

I'm using a 48" monitor and I STILL CAN'T seem to get these results I am seeing in videos and pics...

Any suggestions plz? I'm using win 10 x64 with 1366 x 768 resolution right now for my monitors

http://imgur.com/a/PyJJi

Cheers, jeff
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
solger

What does the images (at the top and bottom) in the link show exactly?
Which 48" monitor are you using (model name, etc.)? And how is it connected (which cable)?

In general a monitor with a higher resolution than 1366 x 768 gives you more screen real estate to display ...

Last edited by solger; 03-20-2017 at 05:34 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
What does the images (at the top and bottom) in the link show exactly?
Which 48" monitor are you using (model name, etc.)? And how is it connected (which cable)?

In general a monitor with a higher resolution than 1366 x 768 gives you more screen real estate to display ...
Hi sorry, the top image shows SOMEONE'S reaper that has a lot more space for it's images where as the bottom one is mine with seemingly the same theme and layout which is not even close to the first example....

I'm using my samsung TV as a monitor through an HDMI cable...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Hi sorry, the top image shows SOMEONE'S reaper that has a lot more space for it's images where as the bottom one is mine with seemingly the same theme and layout which is not even close to the first example....
OK, then this user simply has a monitor with a higher screen resolution.

Quote:
I'm using my samsung TV as a monitor through an HDMI cable...
Can you post the model name or number?

Also check this:
1) Right-Click on the Windows Desktop -> Display Settings
2) Click on 'Advanced Display Settings' link at the bottom
3) When you select the Samsung display, which Resolution does it show as Recommended?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
onewayout

Quote:
OK, then this user simply has a monitor with a higher screen resolution.

Can you post the model name or number?

Also check this:
3) When you select the Samsung display, what does it show as under Resolution as recommended?
Samsung 48" Class - Full HD, Smart, LED TV - 1080p, 60Hz (UN48J520D)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Samsung 48" Class - Full HD, Smart, LED TV - 1080p, 60Hz (UN48J520D)
OK, looks like the Samsung has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

3) Change Multiple Displays to [Extend these displays]
4) Select the Samsung display (if you're not sure if it's display 1 or 2, hit Identify and see which numbers pops up on which screen)
5) Select 1920 x 1080 as resolution from the list for the Samsung and hit Apply

Now you should be able to use both screens (laptop screen with 1366x768 + Samsung with 1920x1800 resolution).

Last edited by solger; 03-20-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #7
onewayout

Quote:
OK, looks like the Samsung has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

3) Change Multiple Displays to [Extend these displays]
4) Select the Samsung display (if you're not sure if it's display 1 or 2, hit Identify and see which numbers pops up on which screen)
5) Select 1920 x 1080 as resolution from the list for the Samsung and hit Apply
Hey Thanks for all the help mon...Unfortunately it is at the 1920 x 1080 @ 59 hz setting...I tried tweaking some other settings in there but no real difference...
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM   #8
solger

Quote:
Hey Thanks for all the help mon...Unfortunately it is at the 1920 x 1080 @ 59 hz setting...I tried tweaking some other settings in there but no real difference...
OK. then we know that the settings should be OK.

In Windows Display Setttings, is the Slider for 'Change the size of text, apps, and other items' at 100%?
But in general, you won't see a huge difference between the laptop and Samsung screen, because the Samsung has only an additional space of 554 pixel horizontally and 312px vertically available.

And Jon from the ReaperBlog (the top screenshot you posted) uses most likely a monitor with higher resolution than 1920 x 1080 ...

Last edited by solger; 03-20-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #9
onewayout

Quote:
OK. then we know that the settings should be OK.

In Windows Display Setttings, is the Slider for 'Change the size of text, apps, and other items' at 100%.
But in general, you won't see a huge difference between the laptop and Samsung screen, because the Samsung has only an additional space of 554 pixel horizontally and 312px vertically available.

And Jon from the ReaperBlog (the top screenshot you posted) uses most likely a monitor with higher resolution than 1920 x 1080.
AWESOME! No that helped quite a bit on my bigger monitor solger!! THANKS again for all your help! (-:
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #10
solger

Quote:
AWESOME! No that helped quite a bit on my bigger monitor solger!! THANKS again for all your help! (-:
OK, great
Old 03-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
Bri1
Banned

Hey onewayout-you can try looking at the advanced ui settings as well-this will scale ui elements by factors-you can really slim,or phatten up the interface-make changes-restart- but it affects themes layouts and fonts as well,so they might need retweaking to suit any changes in scalings.
O! and check graphic card scaling options. Some are changeable.=)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Hey onewayout-you can try looking at the advanced ui settings as well-this will scale ui elements by factors-you can really slim,or phatten up the interface-make changes-restart- but it affects themes layouts and fonts as well,so they might need retweaking to suit any changes in scalings.
O! and check graphic card scaling options. Some are changeable.=)
Hey Cheers! I have played with the Adanced UI before but might try it now that I have it closer to what I'm looking for with the new changes....As far as the graphic card I went in to the INTEL menu and did everything I could and I even opened up the NVIDIA menu (but I haven't a CLUE what that is all about) and besides the version I have doesn't seem to address ANY monitor specifically VERY WEIRD...any suggestions about that?

http://imgur.com/a/ksgmC
Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #13
solger

Quote:
As far as the graphic card I went in to the INTEL menu and did everything I could and I even opened up the NVIDIA menu (but I haven't a CLUE what that is all about) and besides the version I have doesn't seem to address ANY monitor specifically VERY WEIRD...any suggestions about that?
As mentioned in this thread, it's most likely because your laptop has an onboard INTEL chip as main graphics card. And an additional NIVIDA graphics chip (with less graphics options available) which is only used for more (3D) graphics heavy applications: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ettings_is_it/

Last edited by solger; 03-20-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
hopi

In general, it is not so much the inches size of a given monitor that provides better screen real estate... mamy of those 'large' displays are aimed at gving you a television picture... [all that 1080 crap]...

Rather it is the resolution that a monitor is capable of that give you more screen real estate... BUT you also MUST have a video card that is capable of delivering that to the monitor. They work in conjunction.

Looky here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...3_16_9_4k.html

you want some nice screen room? I can tell you first hand these are great, BUT you need a video card that feed it.

If you are on that link, do a search for other Dell monitors and look for lesser ones that still go into the 2450 x something range...

Even the 24 and 27 inch ones that do that will be decent
Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
any suggestions about that?

Hey-um-that 710m card actually has pre decent specs- http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/no...specifications
considering its a laptop.
Looks like >up to< 2560x1600 res> but that depends wether your os and monitor support all options..not sure. Windows scaling can be tweaked a bit I think.
Not forgetting graphic cards can supply 7.1 channel HD audio on HDMI-like this1 does.
Tweaking all available options is getting what you want,if you can find all the options 1st!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #16
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Hey-um-that 710m card actually has pre decent specs- http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/no...specifications
considering its a laptop.
Looks like >up to< 2560x1600 res> but that depends wether your os and monitor support all options..not sure. Windows scaling can be tweaked a bit I think.
Not forgetting graphic cards can supply 7.1 channel HD audio on HDMI-like this1 does.
Tweaking all available options is getting what you want,if you can find all the options 1st!

so next the thing to find out about the graphics card is what will it supply when using two monitors...

The specs posted tell us it would support at least one of the Dells that offer 2560x1400 and that's a good start
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #17
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
so next the thing to find out about the graphics card is what will it supply when using two monitors...

The specs posted tell us it would support at least one of the Dells that offer 2560x1400 and that's a good start
Thanks you guys....I googled and found out how to engage the graphic card and added reaper as the program to use it on but it doesn't seem to recognize it. Has anyone else used Nvidia with reaper, and how to Do you set it up?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Has anyone else used Nvidia with reaper, and how to Do you set it up?
Just play around with what you have-it's not like your computer will actually explode! !
Try to think more in terms of being a mechanic- if your going to add or take stuff,best remember where u started.Take system snapsnots before any major surgeriezzzz.
Look at all your options,read up on what confuses you the most.
Hardware/software manuals are quite complete normally.

You set it up how you want it,not how others have it.
What works for 1 just don't for all,more so because of so much different systems used.
The day somebody actually develops a fully dedicated audio and monitoring system,will be a great day for me! -1 can only wait 'n see..=)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
hopi

Quote:
Thanks you guys....I googled and found out how to engage the graphic card and added reaper as the program to use it on but it doesn't seem to recognize it. Has anyone else used Nvidia with reaper, and how to Do you set it up?
I am confused about what that means... Nvidia is really a technology and also a brand name... their technoloy is used on many various graphic cards manufactured by them and also by other makers who license that technology and then make and sell vid cards under "Nvidia" name...

So all those cards use some version the the Nvidia drivers and graphic control panel... the options presented can vary with the different versions of the cards.

Another vid card maker is ATI Radeon... so their controls and drivers are different...

I have 'Nvidia" cards here in several computers... each is a different model, with different drivers, different monitors, etc.

So I'm really not clear about what you mean when you say you have it set up for 'reaper'....etc.

As far as I use Nvidia it is to set up the display that everything on the PC uses.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 AM   #20
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I am confused about what that means... Nvidia is really a technology and also a brand name... their technoloy is used on many various graphic cards manufactured by them and also by other makers who license that technology and then make and sell vid cards under "Nvidia" name...

So all those cards use some version the the Nvidia drivers and graphic control panel... the options presented can vary with the different versions of the cards.

Another vid card maker is ATI Radeon... so their controls and drivers are different...

I have 'Nvidia" cards here in several computers... each is a different model, with different drivers, different monitors, etc.

So I'm really not clear about what you mean when you say you have it set up for 'reaper'....etc.

As far as I use Nvidia it is to set up the display that everything on the PC uses.
Thank you Guys for the encouragement to keep digging...The video I watched to set-up my Nvidia card told me to choose the option of SPECIFIC programs. But after reading your posts I went back and saw that there was another tab for GLOBAL use of the NVIDIA card so I have chosen that option and will start tweaking from there!!

Cheers, jeff