Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Any problems with windows 10 and plugins?

Just like the title says. Has anyone had any issues with windows 10 and VST plugins not working or anything like that?

This is my greatest fear of upgrading to windows 10. Everything else went so smoothly, but I am having trouble with some of my plugins on my laptop, which I don't really use for audio production, so, idk if I already had those problems, or if they are new to windows 10.

I'm not interested in fixing them on my laptop, I would sooner just uninstall them, but I would really not want to run into anything like that on my DAW PC.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
DVDdoug

I haven't heard anything about VSTs or REAPER, but on the Audacity forum there are lots of people having driver issues... It looks like Windows or the application sometimes can't communicate with the audio hardware after upgrading to Win10.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
karbomusic

One user had to run iLok service (or something related) in compatability mode for iLok plugs (Gerry I think it was).

Some users have had to potentially reauthorize a plugin here and there. I had to reauthorize AD Keys and AD Drums but that is XLNs doing because the licenser noticed the OS change which caused the licenser to cry foul. Only took a couple minutes to remove the old machine in the online licenser then add it right back to reauthorize it.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
gkurtenbach

I've had pretty good results. I have project list that load seven projects that use most of my plugins. This includes some Waves, Izotope, Rea, IK, SSD4, Kontakt, and others.

They all worked--with the exception of the Valhalla plugins which needed to be shown where their license files were again. Not sure why that happened as Valhalla makes great plugs.

All in all, win10 + Reaper 5 is working fine...
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
4x4uk

had some video driver issues, no audio or vst issues except for one unsupported audio driver for a boss gt pro which karbomusic fixed witha hack ofthe driver
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
prezbass

Largely no issues, save for a couple of older Native Instruments synths - FM8 and Pro52 - that would no longer make sounds at all. I haven't used them in years, so no great loss. Also had a VERY old version of MTron that wouldn't load at all.

Everything else was a-ok, including everything that requires iLok.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post
Largely no issues, save for a couple of older Native Instruments synths - FM8 and ...
FM8 working fine here for me on Windows 10 64bit.

I had trouble with Valhallaroom to begin with, but it turns out that you have to install one of the Microsoft VisualC run-times before it will work. It's not included in the installer, unliuke with many other programs that do include it.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
sickamorz
Banned

Windows 10 is nothing but problems, run away from it as fast as possible.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
Irvin

My Lindell plugins were not registered after the upgrade to win 10 (I think it has to do with the security methods employed by the developer). Had to re-register them with Lindell. No problems after that.

On a slightly un-related note: after the Win 10 upgrade my copy of 7-zip is no longer integrated with the Explorer (or Chrome) shell. Have not spent time looking into it.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #10
Jae.Thomas

no problems here. Upgraded in the middle of 3 album projects, no issue.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
klausbert

Hello my friends,

I wish somebody could shed any light to this... as the title says, I'm having problems with Reaper64 5.04 and the VSTi's I'm trying to load, for example: Addictive Drums 2 takes almost 45 seconds to load, Korg M1 takes practically 10 seconds as opposed to my former Windows 7 64 BIT installation... they practically took 2 seconds to load.

Besides, loading a multiout VSTi like M1 never gives me the window dialog asking if I want to use multiple tracks for the multiple outs it has... it seems that that functionality dissapeared, I don't know why...

I have an AMD FX8320 with Win10 installed from scratch (not updated) and 16GB of RAM...

Thanks in advance, folks!
klausbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
richie43

I have had zero issues. And like Jason Brian Merrill expressed, I upgraded in the middle of some projects and have not had any glitches that took more than a few minutes to solve.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #13
trevlyns

No

and once you upgrade you'll kick yourself for sticking so long with those older versions..
Old 11-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
suleiman

I d/l'ed and was about to install when it infromedme of a compatibility issue : theres no bluetooth driver for my device in win10 ...so im waiting

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
joelsampson

The only problem I have had is Frontier Tranzport, which is no longer made. The driver does not work and the kludges I've found on-line do not seem to work either. I miss it, nice to start the daw from the other side of the studio if I'm recording live.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Neenja

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
The only problem I have had is Frontier Tranzport, which is no longer made. The driver does not work and the kludges I've found on-line do not seem to work either. I miss it, nice to start the daw from the other side of the studio if I'm recording live.
My Tranzport works perfectly with W10.
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #17
darthmorphling

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausbert View Post
Hello my friends,

I wish somebody could shed any light to this... as the title says, I'm having problems with Reaper64 5.04 and the VSTi's I'm trying to load, for example: Addictive Drums 2 takes almost 45 seconds to load, Korg M1 takes practically 10 seconds as opposed to my former Windows 7 64 BIT installation... they practically took 2 seconds to load.

Besides, loading a multiout VSTi like M1 never gives me the window dialog asking if I want to use multiple tracks for the multiple outs it has... it seems that that functionality dissapeared, I don't know why...

I have an AMD FX8320 with Win10 installed from scratch (not updated) and 16GB of RAM...

I responded in your other thread, but here it is again:

This is caused by Windows Defender. Create an exclusion for the folder with your samples and that should solve all of your problems. It is basically scanning each sample when you load them.

The only other issue I had when upgrading to 10 was adding a new hardrive and ram. That caused my activation to disable. Had to reinstall 7, reactivate, and then install 10.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #18
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
I, too, have a Tranzport (which I DEARLY love and would be lost without) and it works perfectly on Windows 10. The deal is that you have to run the installer under compatibility mode. In case you don't know how to do that:

1. Download the 1.5.0 driver here-> http://www.frontierdesign.com/Produc...Port/Downloads

2. When it finishes, go to the location you downloaded it to and right click it and choose "Properties".

3. Click the Compatibility tab at the top and click the checkbox to enable compatibility mode and select Windows 7 or 8.

4. Check the box near the bottom called "Run this program as an administrator".

5. Click OK.

6. Double click the installer and it should run.

It will then show up in Reaper as a Control Surface just as it should.

Hope that helps you. I love my Tranzport so much, I bought another one on Ebay as a spare.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
edkilp

My Line6 UX2 interface is not supported. Of course that's Line6's fault. I imagine drivers will be available for Windows 10 right about the time Windows 15 rolls out.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #20
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
My Line6 UX2 interface is not supported. Of course that's Line6's fault. I imagine drivers will be available for Windows 10 right about the time Windows 15 rolls out.
Older drivers in compatibility mode wont install?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #21
edkilp

Not for me. I got no audio from the web at all. YouTube didn't work, Spotify, nothing. In fact, nothing that produced sound of any kind worked. I found a few posts on the Line6 forum that confirmed the UX2 isn't working in Win10. It's all fine for me, I like Win7 a lot more anyway, but I tried 10 and didn't really wanna go buy another interface just to use it.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #22
tombuur

My SSD broke down and I decided to start with a fresh install of Win10.

So far the only plugin problem has been Slate's Virtual Rack Module in VST3. It simply crashes when a project with several of these are opened. No problems with the VST2 version. Not sure if this is a Win10 problem, but it is the only problem I have had with plugins so far.

... but what a job reinstalling everything.The winners are Waves and Melda on a shared no. 1. NI (Komplete Ultimate) comes in as number three. These guys have a quick and easy way to reinstall all you've got more or less like a bundle. Most other have time consuming installs of individual plugins. Toontrack being at the bottom with a lot of single downloads and online activations. In the process I have decided to skip a lot of plugins and other software to save time now and in the future.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #23
David Else

I don't want to derail this into a windows 10 spying thread, but just wanted to say i spent an evening looking into the best way to avoid as much spying as possible and it is this:

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Some of the other programs that do this work do not seem trustworthy, and some of the other DIY hacks suspect. These guys have a reputation to protect and a long history, so this seems like the best bet

Microsoft admitted it's still spying a bit even with every option fine tuned, but sadly its not quite time for Linux... maybe next year fingers crossed.

I just installed 10 on another PC and about to install Reaper, so fingers double crossed.

I hate all the mobile phone and accounts to sign into bullshit, but the performance seems a little better and the hardware support improved. Don't like the UI either... pay to upgrade Solitaire, it's kind of pathetic. It feels a bit like letting a used car salesman into your computer.

I need some time spent using it to think if the good outweighs the bad in windows 10.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #24
richie43

I just take the naive attitude that I have nothing to worry about with Microsoft spying unless I have something to hide....
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #25
Magicbuss

iLok was an issue for me. luckily the solution was found right here on the forum.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...indows+10+ilok
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #26
mushroomagical

VSTs are working great with windows 10 here. One plugin, Nectar, crashed Reaper when I tried to load the VST3 version of it. Since I don't use Nectar (got it for free with Vegas Pro), I never tried it again. Other than that, all VSTs and VST instruments are working well. Windows 10 is definitely the best Windows version to date.
mushroomagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #27
mhuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
I updated an aging Dell laptop from 7 to 10, and the UX2 just kept working after the update. Video is an issue for me (DSP and HDMI ports are wonky), but not audio.

Is yours an upgrade or a fresh install? My update might've put the drivers in compatibility mode automatically or some such.
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #28
Pixelshock

Quote:
I gave up on Line6. I didn't want to, but in the end, those guys just won't stop making horrible decisions. My Line6 UX2 is now in the garage. I don't even want to sell it because I know what the next user will have to go through.

They take FOREVER to update drivers. I don't even think their developers experience time the same way the rest of humanity does. You could end up waiting months - even a year - for some simple bugs to be squished or compatibility added. The whole Line6 Monkey software thing? Oh my goodness.....absolute nonsense. It will constantly validate your hardware and check what "parts" of the POD interface you've spent money on to unlock. You also have to launch their software just to tell the interface to switch inputs. In the middle of recording/tracking, I used to be forced to close my project/Reaper, open the Line 6 software, tell it to switch from Instrument to microphone inputs, then close that....and finally open Reaper back up......total madness. I'm sure the whole thing revolves around their fear of folks pirating the amp modeling software. So paying customers have to jump through ten hoops. Yet people who actually steal it probably have all the protection removed and avoid all the fuss. The ONLY way they can stop the piracy is to switch to iLok2. They should be well aware of that.

I switched to a Focusrite interface and never looked back. The thing works beautifully without running any software besides the driver. It never even blinked when I upgraded to Windows 10. The pre-amp sounds way better on a microphone as well. But that's subjective and only my opinion.

I had to install new iLok drivers for Windows 10. Outside of that, it was completely painless. I've been running it for a few months now and the only other drivers that have been updated are nVidia video drivers - and that was purely optional for performance tweaks while gaming. Windows 10 is rock solid.
Pixelshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #29
mtotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausbert View Post
Hello my friends,

I had some troubles with this. I was advised to install Reaper 32 bit. I did, and have had no more problems. 64bit VSTs work with 32 bit Reaper.
mtotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #30
mtotton

I'm a computer geek. I've been on PC's since the first IBMs came out (and before that on mainframes). I have used every version of Windows apart from NT, and I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 as soon as I could. I lived with 8.1 for a while using Start8 to give me back a decent menu.

As far as I am concerned 10 is the best so far, and could eventually persuade me to get a windows mobile and a windows tablet if they can all talk to each other. So far Android is my mobile OS.

When you have installed a new operating system on you valuable PC, doesn't it make sense to find out how to tweak it properly? Check out the privacy settings, get the menus in shape, see what you can do in Control Panel and PC Settings etc. etc. There's a lot of moaning when a new OS comes out, but all in all this one works really really well. I let the OS upgrade itself, it took very little time and all my programs still worked afterwards - good news! Reaper worked, I had to re-authorise a few plugins, but that happens if you sneeze too close to the PC so no biggy there.

In summary - nice one Microsoft (rare praise from me!).
mtotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #31
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtotton View Post
I'm a computer geek. I've been on PC's since the first IBMs came out (and before that on mainframes). I have used every version of Windows apart from NT, and I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 as soon as I could. I lived with 8.1 for a while using Start8 to give me back a decent menu.

As far as I am concerned 10 is the best so far, and could eventually persuade me to get a windows mobile and a windows tablet if they can all talk to each other. So far Android is my mobile OS.

When you have installed a new operating system on you valuable PC, doesn't it make sense to find out how to tweak it properly? Check out the privacy settings, get the menus in shape, see what you can do in Control Panel and PC Settings etc. etc. There's a lot of moaning when a new OS comes out, but all in all this one works really really well. I let the OS upgrade itself, it took very little time and all my programs still worked afterwards - good news! Reaper worked, I had to re-authorise a few plugins, but that happens if you sneeze too close to the PC so no biggy there.

In summary - nice one Microsoft (rare praise from me!).
I'm in complete agreement with everything you've said. My experience with Win10 has been very smooth with no issues so far. In fact, Win10 has solved a few issues I had with Win8 and I did an upgrade rather than clean install.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #32
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I'm in complete agreement with everything you've said. My experience with Win10 has been very smooth with no issues so far. In fact, Win10 has solved a few issues I had with Win8 and I did an upgrade rather than clean install.
My experience as well. I actually had great experiences with 7, 8, and 8.1, getting better with each version.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #33
ivansc

Yay! I finally got an issue with Win10!

Had a catastrophic hard drive issue over the weekend - net result was I had to go to Win10 on the studio machine after my Win8.1 install got corrupted and my Win8.0 disk was not recognised as being legitimate to repair the corrupted files.

Anyway, apart from the now traditional minor irritations with IKMM's wanky authorisation/verifications system, no issues at all.
Till I decided to have a swift game of Microsoft Solitaire collection.
Click o the tile, plash screen comes up and then the whole thing just disappears.
Tried reinstalling, still the same.
The odd thing is it sister programme, the Majong thang work fine.

So all in all pretty painless.
Other than IKMM stuff every other plug is working perfectly.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #34
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelshock View Post
I gave up on Line6. I didn't want to, but in the end, those guys just won't stop making horrible decisions. My Line6 UX2 is now in the garage. I don't even want to sell it because I know what the next user will have to go through.

They take FOREVER to update drivers. I don't even think their developers experience time the same way the rest of humanity does. You could end up waiting months - even a year - for some simple bugs to be squished or compatibility added. The whole Line6 Monkey software thing? Oh my goodness.....absolute nonsense. It will constantly validate your hardware and check what "parts" of the POD interface you've spent money on to unlock. You also have to launch their software just to tell the interface to switch inputs. In the middle of recording/tracking, I used to be forced to close my project/Reaper, open the Line 6 software, tell it to switch from Instrument to microphone inputs, then close that....and finally open Reaper back up......total madness. I'm sure the whole thing revolves around their fear of folks pirating the amp modeling software. So paying customers have to jump through ten hoops. Yet people who actually steal it probably have all the protection removed and avoid all the fuss. The ONLY way they can stop the piracy is to switch to iLok2. They should be well aware of that.
I feel your pain. The UX2 is the only interface I've ever owned. It's all I've ever needed, although since I started recording pretty much just my acoustic guitar and voice, I'd love to have a few more inputs for more mics. The only issue I really ever came up against was the thing would just lock up, deliver a terrible noise through my monitors and crash my computer. That hasn't happened in a very long time though.
One other time after formatting my computer, I was told that I had authorized the software too many times and had to contact Line6 to have my authorizations reset. I used to load my PC with every free plugin I could get my bandwidth on, and after a while I had so much crap in there I'd have issues so I would format. I've matured a bit and I have settled on very few plugins that get the job done for me, so formatting once a month is no longer something I need to do!
I don't even install POD Farm because I don't like any of the sounds in there. So, overall, my personal experience with Line6 and the UX2 has been pretty favorable. But I think you're right when you say they're a bit too focused on someone stealing their precious software and we all have to pay for that.
I didn't care much for Windows 10 anyway. Hehehe
Old 11-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #35
Rwh457

I used windows XP and a Firepod then upgraded to a windows 8 desktop not knowing the Firepod would not work with it. I had to get a little Focusrite interface just to be able to get the new desktop operating-needless to say I was not happy. I never have liked this setup as well as the Firepod and XP. For me by myself it is ok but with others it is not enough unless all I want is a stereo feed from the mixer. If windows 10 would go back and pick up the Firepod software I would change in a heartbeat. Until then-nope not gonna.
Rwh457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #36
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwh457 View Post
I used windows XP and a Firepod then upgraded to a windows 8 desktop not knowing the Firepod would not work with it. I had to get a little Focusrite interface just to be able to get the new desktop operating-needless to say I was not happy. I never have liked this setup as well as the Firepod and XP. For me by myself it is ok but with others it is not enough unless all I want is a stereo feed from the mixer. If windows 10 would go back and pick up the Firepod software I would change in a heartbeat. Until then-nope not gonna.
There are plenty of other newer interfaces that work well with Windows 10, and possibly better performance than your Firepod. I use a Scarlett 18i20, plenty of i/o and works flawlessly for me on 2 systems running Windows 10.