Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
countcobolt
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on MacOS X Yosemite on Late 2008 Macbook Pro

Hi all

I am running reaper 5.04 on a macbook pro (late 2008 ) with 4 GB Ram and a 128GB SSD. (also similar setup on a 160GB Sata). I am connecting a Saffire pro 40 to it , which has 1 guitar, 2 microphones and 1 Alesis Midi I/O connected to it.

In most cases it work flawless until the point happen where for some unknown reason the system will hang and shutdown after about 1 minute. Very often this state remains completely.

So, I went on and used Apple Hardware Test on the machines. I let it run as I was thinking, Harddrive, memory, CPU and everything comes back clear. Now, I tried finding the appropriate logs in /var/log and so on (I have linux/unix background) but I am struggling to find odd things out.

Where would I go for the log files. Can I configure reaper to use specific locations. How would I identify if this is in fact a Reaper vs OSX Yosemite vs Saffire drivers issues?

Thanks a lot
countcobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
cyrano

That's a new one. It doesn't restart, but turns off the Mac. This could point to a problem with the System Management Controller (SMC).

Have you tried an SMC reset?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Also, what version of OSX are we talking about? Yosemite 10.10.5 with the latest sec update? That update came with an EFI update, for sec reasons. Apple was very sloppy this time, for Yosemite users. The installer leaves a "Payloads" directory on the root of the disk. You can delete it, of course.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
countcobolt

Hi Cyrano

I tried the SMC reset, and thought you saved the day... until I tried this evening. At a point of throwing this piece of sh#t out of the window.

I am actually to sure if this is a reaper issue as once the machine hangs, I can reboot. Once every so often I can just connect the FW cable and reproduce it. I have tried another cable already. I have a log file of one of the latest crashes. I wonder why I cannot find anything else.

Maybe this means something to you

Kind regards

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf reaper crash.pdf (64.3 KB, 525 views)
Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
cyrano

For log reading, using the Console app is usually the easiest way.

It sounds like a heat problem possibly. I think your Mac has the double GPU (9400 and 9600M GT). Have you tried setting it to the lower end 9400? That could produce less heat.

The firewire chips on these macs are a bit dodgy. I use the 2009 incarnation. Even if I doubt this to be the problem, try a shorter cable, or a good firewire harddisk after the Focusrite?

If the Mac has never been cleaned internally, it might be time to check heat paste and tension on the heat shield screws. These do work loose, especially if the paste has hardened. And that will provoke emergency shutdown. But that usually doesn't take a minute. It's instantaneous.

Heat sensors could also be faulty or loose. Who handled the upgrade to the SSD? Any other app to stress test the system? Let Handbrake rip a DVD?

Shutting down is the SMC's last resort when either heat sensors or voltage/current sensors show extreme values. This could also be the case when both the battery and the power supply are old and worn out.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
countcobolt

hi Cyrano

I did the upgrade myself on them. Heat might indeed be the issue. How could I change that GPU? I use a tool to control the fanspeed and indeed, the heat sometimes seems to rise up quite high (80°C) even at 6000 rpm. When I ran it last night, it worked fine, but stayed below 60°C.

I will try to see if I can keep the temperature below that level. Any special thing I need to know on applying the heat paste?

this is the model I have

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...eplacement/683

Kind regards

Steve

Last edited by countcobolt; 11-04-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by countcobolt View Post
hi Cyrano

I did the upgrade myself on them. Heat might indeed be the issue. How could I change that GPU?
In System prefs, Monitors?

Quote:
I use a tool to control the fanspeed and indeed, the heat sometimes seems to rise up quite high (80°C) even at 6000 rpm. When I ran it last night, it worked fine, but stayed below 60°C.

I will try to see if I can keep the temperature below that level. Any special thing I need to know on applying the heat paste?
You need to remove the old layer completely. Then, apply a thin layer of new silicon paste and tighten the screws. I really can't explain how tight they should be. The most important thing is to tighten them evenly.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:57 AM   #7
countcobolt

Okay, I will open up the machine again and put on anew layer of paste.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
countcobolt

Just opened up the machine again and runs stable at 43°C at 2000 RPM. Will now try to change the GPU and rip the DVD
Old 11-08-2015, 03:42 AM   #9
countcobolt

Hi Cyrano

I have just tried a couple of times and the system seem to run ok now. Just wondering on the stability, but having a rehearsal this afternoon. Will keep you posted.

Reaper did crash, but no real hangs any more. The system seems to run more stable and the proximity cpu is 50 an cpu is 48. Sometimes it will go up depending on how much tracks I load.

Kind regards
Old 11-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #10
cyrano

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Old 11-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
countcobolt

Hi Cyrano

an update: I bought a new Scarlett Card, convinced it is a saffire pro problem (as the mac hardware passed all tests, I was able to do a CPU burn for over 6 hours, AHT was perfect), to find out that the machine still freezes.

After doing some analysis, we have a common things with all the projects: They all had multiple instances of Guitar Rig Running. So, after the first crash on the new soundcard, we simply removed the VST versions of Guitar Rig. The machine ran stable. I will now try to install the AU versions of Guitar Rig and see is that keeps the problem.

Kind regards

Steve
Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
countcobolt

Hey Cyrano

I will start a new thread: it appears to be a Guitar Rig causes of crashes.

Kind regards

Steve
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by countcobolt View Post
At a point of throwing this piece of sh#t out of the window.
Sounds like you've got your money's worth on this MBP, I've never had a PC last for more than a couple years. Time to upgrade?

My 2009 mbp lives in my kitchen now for playing cartoons.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #14
countcobolt

well to be honest, it is defo not the mac itself. It did perfect for 3 runs through of the set.