Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #81
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

makes sense, thanks for the info!
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #82
sws
Code Monkey

There's a new version available of my snapshots plug available here.

New is the ability to store/recall the visibility of tracks in the mixer ("Show track in mixer") and the ability to store the selection state of tracks for a grouping-like functionality.

There's also a new option ("Filter on recall") that toggles between using the active checkboxes in the filter section for recall parameters, or if the box is unchecked, using the filter that was stored when the snapshot was saved. (I hope that makes sense ) Hover the mouse over an item to see what it contains. Enjoy!

sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #83
Art Evans
Mortal

When I tick vis and selection, then store a snapshot with only certain tracks visible in the mixer, those tickboxes untick themselves and the visibility state does not get recalled. Am I doing something in the way of unexpected user behaviour?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 AM   #84
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
When I tick vis and selection, then store a snapshot with only certain tracks visible in the mixer, those tickboxes untick themselves and the visibility state does not get recalled. Am I doing something in the way of unexpected user behaviour?
Same behaviour here.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #85
sws
Code Monkey

Thanks for finding that bug, guys. Redownload and you'll be all set.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #86
Mercado_Negro

Default SWS...

Oh my GOD!!!! Thanks a lot for this improvement!!! I was talking to Xenakios last week about this and he told me he was going to drop you a line about my FR... I'll download it right now and take it to my house tonight... I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again, thanks a lot, thanks... did I say thanks?
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #87
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
There's a new version available of my snapshots plug available here.
I tested a few minutes ago and it doesn't work properly... it doesn't recall visibility state like "Art Evans" said and tick boxes untick themselves too... redownload it again and same behaviour!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #88
Kainer

can I use this on a mac? think .dll are not for mac, right?

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #89
Mercado_Negro

I use a mac but I don't understand them, they are untouchable so I stick with my home PC... Why don't you download it and try it for yourself and share that info
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #90
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
can I use this on a mac? think .dll are not for mac, right?
Sadly no go for the Mac...

The extension stuff is 100% native code, it's not scripts or anything like that, that could run cross platform. The Mac versions will happen at some point, but it's a bit dependant on Cockos now. (There are no Mac compatible extension plugin source code examples/projects yet available from them...)
Old 08-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #91
Mercado_Negro

Good things come to those who wait!!!!!!!! Patience my friend.

Thanks for the info Xenakios, BTW did you test snapshots' last version? Does it work? I tested it some minutes ago again and it's still not working, tick boxes untick themselves.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #92
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I tested a few minutes ago and it doesn't work properly... it doesn't recall visibility state like "Art Evans" said and tick boxes untick themselves too... redownload it again and same behaviour!
Huh, apparently my upload to the server failed earlier, sorry about that. (Or maybe it's that cold medicine I've been taking!) Please redownload and try again.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #93
Bevosss

Selected tracks are recalled now, great!

I still aren't having any luck with visibility, it doesn't seem to work here...

Do you have a method to test this works?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #94
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
I still aren't having any luck with visibility, it doesn't seem to work here...

Do you have a method to test this works?
Try:
1) New Project
2) Add a track
3) Open Snapshots dialog
4) Uncheck everything except "Vis"
5) Create a new snapshot
6) Right click your track, uncheck "show track in mixer"
7) Create another new snapshot
8) Now when you alternately click on snapshots in the dialog you should see the single track appear and disappear in the mixer. You may need to enable the mixer, Ctrl-M.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #95
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post
6) Right click your track, uncheck "show track in mixer"
Ahh! Thanks, I was unaware of that feature and was using the master hide/unhide menu instead.

Cheers! It works fine now, great job and extremely useful.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #96
Mercado_Negro

Default Thanks...

I tested it this morning and it's working!!!!

Thanks for your effort SWS... One question: if you managed to do this with the MCP, why haven't you try it with the TCP? Maybe you can solve the maximize/minimize tracks... just curiosity!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #97
sws
Code Monkey

New verion posted.

-Support for unlimited number of FX parameters (goodbye "overflow" message that some people have run into)
-New actions to add/delete selected tracks from current snapshot (current is the selected snapshot in the window)
-Action to select the tracks in the snapshot (some nifty grouping-type macro possibilities here)
-Ability to cleanup snapshots when recalling after track/send/fx delete
-New track context menu (right click a track and select Snapshots)
-Other internal cleanup, stability and bug fixes

As of Reaper 2.45 the earlier bug of the track display not updating correctly has been fixed. Thanks, schwa! (However, there's still a similar issue with send levels not being updated on the MCP)

It's getting to the point where I have a hard time testing all the features, so please let me know if you run into anything!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #98
Art Evans
Mortal

Cheers! I'll give it a try soon.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #99
Mercado_Negro

OH MY GOD!!!! Thanks a lot for this great update SWS... Thanks for your support and taking into accound my Features requests... see you in chat
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #100
Mercado_Negro

Default Behaviour...

SWS, I have tested your new update of the "Snapshot Extension" Plug-in and it has some wierd behaviour...

IMPORTANT: In the snapshot window just check filters "Vis" and "Selection", uncheck "Selected Tracks Only" if it's enabled

1) Open Reaper (Close it and re-open it if you had it already opened)
2) Insert 2 Tracks
3) Select those 2 tracks and right-click on one of them, go to "Snapshots" and left-click "New Snapshot"
4) Open your Snapshot window in "View->Show Snapshots", in there you can see that "New Snapshot" you have just created
5) Hide those two tracks from the mixer (I have installed "Xenakios Extension Plug-in" too, in there you can use an action named "Toggle selected tracks visible in mixer", Reaper has this option too but it can't be map to a KC)
6) Insert two new tracks at the end of the track list (now you can see only those two new tracks you have just inserted)
7) Select those two new tracks you have just inserted and right-click one of them, go to "Snapshots" and left-click "New Snapshot"
8) If you open your snapshot window again you can see another new snapshot
9) In the snapshot window left-click on the first snapshot... SEE? you can see those two last tracks you inserted. THEY SHOULDN'T BE VISIBLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T BELONG TO THAT FIRST SNAPSHOT!!!!!!!

I must say SWS has made a great update but I think it's still missing the main "ojective". If you insert a new track or you just want to change a track from its snapshot to another when you right-click on it you should have an option to add it to an specific snapshot or otherwise if you want to delete it from its snapshot you should have an option: "delete selected track(s) from its current snapshot".

SWS, my friend, I'm really thankful for that great effort you have made to improve workflow with your awesome "Snapshot Extension", I know you have done it for free and that's something I'm sure we are all aware of. My "suggestions" are just for making things better and making Reaper better.

In conclusion, my options would be:

*Add selected track(s) to snapshot X"
"Delete selected track(s) from its current snapshot" (That snapshot they belong to)

This way when I'm working with tracks that belong to a determined snapshot and suddenly I insert a new track and right-click on it I'd just like to be able to add it to another snapshot if I want to or add it to this current snapshot I'm working with. If I add it to another snapshot this track "must" dissapear from the mixer because it doesn't belong to this snapshot I'm working with.

P.S. I had a broken project last night with this snapshot extension. I created a new project and add some snapshots to test new update, I added, deleted, etc., tracks from snapshots... you know, just testing. Then suddenly I had to record something and didn't close reaper, just delete all tracks and added my "recording template". I recorded everything I had to and close reaper. When I tried to open that project again it crashed reaper. What I did? I opened the project with notepad and deleted all last lines related to your snapshot extension (I left just the last carriage returns). it came back to life!!!! I think it has something to do with "hey, I can't see those tracks you added to snapshots", maybe.

Thanks again for that "extra" effort you're making...

Mercado Negro... Talio & El Che
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #101
sws
Code Monkey

Mercado, first, I have found the crashing bug you speak of (crash on load when tracks exist in snapshot but not project). Everyone, please redownload to get a fixed version.

Secondly, I have added a couple actions that I think will address your issues:
- "Add selected track(s) to all snapshots"
- "Delete selected track(s) from all snapshots".

If you want "Add selected track to snapshot X", make a macro for "Recall snapshot X" and "Add selected track(s) to current snapshot."

By design, the snapshots plug does not mess with tracks that aren't in the snapshot. I think this is where you're getting tripped up. If you want track's visibility to change, you have to add that tracks to the snapshot with the visibility you want. So, let's say you add a new track that you only want visible when you select snapshot X. Do this:
1) Recall snapshot X
2) Add track
3) Hide from mixer
4) Run new action "Add selected track(s) to all snapshots"
5) Show new track in mixer
6) Run "Save over current snapshot"

You could make items 3-6 into a macro.

I think if you just approach what you want to do from a different angle, you'll be OK.
Good luck,
Tim
Old 09-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #102
Mercado_Negro

Thanks for your time sws... I'll test everything you say!!!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #103
Art Evans
Mortal

Just in case snapshotters haven't been following the VCA JS plugin thread here -

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=25827

It contains a nice little feature that provides a means of crossfading between two snapshot balances, over a time you can set (slider goes to 300ms but you can type in a bigger figure if you want).

It does mean that you'd have to do your balance with VCA_master and VCA_slave pairs, but in the context of the situation for which I had this function in mind, that would be no big deal.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 AM   #104
Mercado_Negro

Thanks Evan, I've been following this VCA thingy since the beginning... Hope to find out where will I use it on a mix
Old 09-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #105
helpdeskeddy

Default Snapshot bug...

I already posted this in the Bugreport forum (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26182), but this is probably a better place.

I noticed that the parameters of some effects are not written back properly; some parameters were very weird numbers (gain of over 2000, very weird EQ settings, etc.)

To reproduce the behaviour:
- new reaper project (no tracks, just the master)
- insert a ReaXcomp and a Reaverb on the master
- insert a snapshot
- save the reaper project
- reopen the project
- click on the snapshot while looking at the Reaverb and ReaXcomp settings (and I see them changing from the saved setting... how strange)

Thanks Art, for confirming... I was already questioning my own PC...
helpdeskeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #106
sws
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpdeskeddy View Post
I noticed that the parameters of some effects are not written back properly; some parameters were very weird numbers (gain of over 2000, very weird EQ settings, etc.)
Thanks for the bug report!!

I've taken a look and there's two problems - one is restoring of parameters from a saved project; that's now fixed, redownload from the usual place. No more unreasonable gain values, etc.

The second issue appears to be something with Reaper itself. For example, Reaper always tells me the "attack" parameter on ReaXComp is 0.0 even when it's not, so when you call a Snapshot sometimes some items come back incorrectly. I'll work on the Cockos guys to see if we can get that fixed.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #107
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws View Post

The second issue appears to be something with Reaper itself. For example, Reaper always tells me the "attack" parameter on ReaXComp is 0.0 even when it's not, so when you call a Snapshot sometimes some items come back incorrectly. I'll work on the Cockos guys to see if we can get that fixed.
The only "fool-proof" way to store and recall plugin settings is the base64 encoded serialized data (like seen in the project files) but manipulating those chunks isn't currently directly possible from extension code...Please convince the Cockos devs to support that... (For both track/take fx...)
Old 09-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #108
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
I've taken a look and there's two problems - one is restoring of parameters from a saved project; that's now fixed, redownload from the usual place. No more unreasonable gain values, etc.
That's good, thanks, if I hit further problems I'll let you know.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #109
helpdeskeddy

Thanks for the quick fix! Super. Your efforts are much appreciated here...
I'll download and test right away...

Eddy
helpdeskeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #110
Marah Mag

The ability for users to create addins like this is one of the things inducing me to make Reaper my main DAW. This Snapshot addin is super useful. And it's been fun reading this thread to see the backenforth that went into its development. Thanks Xen and SWS and all the early users.

I like the idea of having a snapshot triggered by a certain marker, or maybe being switched only duing a certain range, with the end of range triggering another switch.

Or, how about an option to have a Snapshot take effect at the "next time interval" e.g., at next measure, next 1/4 note, next 1/8 note, or immediately on click, similar to how the Cakewalk Project5 Groove Matrix lets you specify when a given cell will start playing.

Last edited by Marah Mag; 01-20-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #111
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post

I like the idea of having a snapshot triggered by a certain marker, or maybe being switched only duing a certain range, with the end of range triggering another switch.
You can do that and a lot more with this plugin http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24297
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #112
czarnekci

Thank you very much for this useful extension!

I'd Love to use it with automation Hope that will come!
czarnekci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #113
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnekci View Post
Thank you very much for this useful extension!

I'd Love to use it with automation Hope that will come!
+100 on all points.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #114
Erkan

I wonder if it is possible to use this feature to quickly change a whole album's mix?

If I have 10 projects (10 different songs) and I mix one of the songs the way I want it and then make Snapshots for everything (Drums, Bass, Guitars, Vocals and so on), I could effectively just use the same snapshots to quickly as hell recall any and every change I made in the first song to all other songs. But since the data is stored per project, this is not possible right? What I basically want to do is to have a group of different projects share Snapshots so they will dynamically update themselves once I change a snapshot in any project.

I'd love to be able to "link" projects together in some way. I often find myself changing the sound of let's say the snare or kick drum as I go. I then have to go back and manually reload the new and updated FxChain to all other songs... it's a lot of unnecessary time.
Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #115
sws
Code Monkey

Alright, big snapshot update for you:

Reliable saving/restoring of track sends
New resolution dialog when sends are recalled with a missing recv track
New copy/paste feature with merge dialog
"Snapshot details" feature to print exact contents of a snapshot

The best part of this (IMO) is the ability to copy/paste snapshots.

Let's say you record a band; they play 3 songs in a row. You do a rough mix, then copy the single project into 3 separate projects for mixing. You mix song #1, like your settings, so you want to copy those to the next two projects. Now you can!

First, select the tracks you want to copy.
In the Snapshots window (View->SWS Snapshots), choose items you want to snapshot, probably "Full mix" or maybe just "FX".
Right click on the track, select SWS Snapshots and choose "Copy new snapshot (selected track(s))"
Open song #2's project. Right click on the track, and select SWS Snapshots -> Paste snapshot.
A window appears (below) where you can choose
1) What tracks to apply
2) Where the settings go in the new project
3) What settings to apply

Often the defaults will be just fine, but there are a lot of possibilities here!

Right click on the track names in the above window to change the source/destination.

It's also possible to paste settings from the same track to multiple other tracks - just click "Add" in the paste dialog and choose different destination tracks for the same source track.

I've tried to make the "paste" as versatile as possible. Let me know if I missed something, or you have a question as to how it works!

Tim
Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #116
Erkan

Holy crap! That looks fantastic man. I have been waiting for a similar feature in REAPER for sooooooo long now and you've provided it I haven't tried it yet but I will definately try to give it a go next week. This is just beautiful. If it works correctly, it's gonna make mixing albums SO much easier.

Thumbs up and thanks for your effort!
Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #117
musicbynumbers

Default Found strange bug I think :)

Thanks for this update Tim! amazing stuff but..

just trying it out and I'm finding that selecting "custom" in snapshots and then clicking on various tick boxes like mute, pan, solo etc is causing reaper to start playing or stop or even zoom???

very weird, anyone else getting this? perhaps it's down to me just trying out that "grab and drag" zoom extension that's been around for a hwile, will take it out and see what happens.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #118
sws
Code Monkey

Whoops, missed that one, sorry musicbynumbers. Fixed in v1.5.0 #4.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #119
musicbynumbers

cool, fixed that one BUT

I don't seem to be getting any of the new windows showing (infact it's crashed from trying to paste and just crashed trying to save)

what I get is "new snapshot" is pressed I get a dialogue box open that has the naming part but then a big grey empty space below it and don't get any dialogue box for paste either.

I also tried loading a mix with some snapshots from the last versions of the sws extension and it crashed

This is on win 7 pro 64bit but with 32bit reaper running 32bit sws.

Maybe I'm missing something like visual studio etc?

will try out more things.

Thanks for this though it's going to be brilliant when it works for me! lol

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-04-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #120
musicbynumbers

this picture should help. Maybe there is no new dialogue for this? but not getting paste either. I'm shocked though as this is the first thing you have ever done that hasn't worked first time for me! lol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sws gone bananas.JPG (56.8 KB, 821 views)

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-04-2010 at 11:10 AM.