Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
vassaux
Human being with feelings

Default HELP!!! Can't get all my plug-ins back!

Hi all! Having done a complete computerectomy on my studio machine, I'm having a time getting things back to normal. I basically had to re-install Windows 7, and reinstalled Reaper at the same time. Taking advantage of this new beginning, I re-sorted my plug-ins into one tidy file, sub-folders and everything. A few things were hard to find on the old drives (4 prior computers, files all over the place). It had trouble with a few plug-ins, so I reinstalled a few. Here's the issue. I have 4 or so that I can clearly see the existing .dll files in my new directory (Kontact, an old Cakewalk flanger, TAL-Bitcrusher), but Reaper won't read them. I've 'added' the folder (C:\VST Storage), and rescanned, but it keeps missing these. Any idea why? Thanks in advance!
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassaux View Post
I re-sorted my plug-ins into one tidy file, sub-folders and everything.

Do you really mean you placed them all in a single file? I find this difficult to understand.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
thewizrad

Every time I download a new plugin installer, it gets saved in a Dropbox folder called "plugin installers". Backup the installers, not the plugins.
thewizrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Stews

A bit of a random guess... is your Reaper 32 bit and the plugins 64 bit?
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 AM   #5
vassaux

Sorry, I'll try to clear these up. I've rounded up all of the plugins I wanted to keep using, from the various folders they used to be in (5th generation of recording computer - most of the older ones died catastrophically, so things got moved haphazardly over the years. Add to that a number of different OSes, several generations of Sonar, Cubasis, and a few other things, and you end up with a fair number of VST folders.

When i first jumped to Reaper, i tagged a bunch of those folders, but i ended up with quite a few very old VST effects that were old, or that i no longer wanted to use. Since i was updating processer, MB, RAM, etc., i decided i should clean these up, and try to weed out the ones i no longer wanted, including a number of them that were licensed for Sonar only, like some Nomad Factory items that came with Sonar X3.

The biggest issue is that i use Abbey Road Modern Drummer, from NI that must play through Kontact. I installed a new instance of Kontact Player, which then played successfully a number of times. As i was searching through the machine for a last few plugins, it apparently stopped seeing Kontact, and says it can't find it, even though i can still see it in a subfolder of my effects folder.

Folder architecture is -
C: \VST Storage
Delays
Dynamics
EQ
Native Instruments...
and so on...

I'm pretty frustrated because i had Kontact working, then it stopped, and at least TAL-Bitcrusher is visible in the folder, but also does not appear in Reaper. I'm using 64-bit Reaper, and as many 64-bit plugins as i can. Hopefully this info is helpful. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
vassaux

Updating my own thread, I reinstalled Kontakt, and the computer sees the 32-bit version, but not the 64-bit. Any hints would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
Barksy

In the prefs where you enter your folders where your VST's sit, you need to have the x64 kontakt folder AFTER the Kontakt x86, so it read it last.

or if you have all your plugs installed in VST 64 and VST 86 folders, enter the 86 folder first and 64 folder last.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
vassaux

Thanks for that Barksy, but I've taken the 32-bit version out of there altogether, and then it doesn't see the 64-bit version at all. I will try sticking a dummy folder with the x86 up front, though.

Okay, I tried doing this. I can see Reaper scan the .dll files, but it must be seeing the 32-bit drivers. If the 64-bit drivers are in the folder (different subfolder), it suddenly cannot find the plug-in. If I move the 64-bit version out of the big folder, I can load the 32-bit version. What a headache!

Last edited by vassaux; 09-30-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Barksy

Just double check, are your kontakt, and whatever NI stuff you have in your x64 folder you are linking to?

Did you Clear and re-scan after updating?
Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
vassaux

Okay, i put everything back, did a clear and rescan, and nothing. If the x86 version is last to be scanned, i can use that. If the 64-bit is last in line, Reaper can't seem to recognize it, but loses the x86 version as well. I've left a message for Native Instrument support, I'm hoping they will help, fhey haven't been good for much in the past. Thanks for your suggestions, it's been a pain so far.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
bluzkat

If you have your 32 bit and 64 bit plugins mixed in the same folders, you really should separate them. I would suggest something like "C:\VST 32" and "C:\VST 64". You can have sub folders in each of these if you want to sort the .dll files (I do mine by manufacturer or you can sort by type). You don't have to necessarily use the "C:\" drive, this will work on other drives also.

Then if you are using 64 bit Reaper... in the preferences list the 32 bit folder first, then the 64 bit folder, separated by a semi-colon. For example "C:\VST 32;C:\VST 64" (without the quotes!). Then clear cache and rescan.

One more thing some of the plugins can't just be moved, they need to be reinstalled (plugins that originally used installers).

Hope this helped, good luck.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #12
vassaux

Hi Bluzkat! I have a general VST Storage folder, and had each of the versions of Kontakt in a separate subfolder. I've never seen a need to separate my plug-ins into 32 or 64 folders, because most of them are either one or the other. I've been moving the Kontakt .dll files in and out to experiment, it hasn't seemed to matter. In fact, I installed the 32-bit outside my folder (to only have the 64-bit available), and still couldn't get the 64-bit to be recognized. When I moved the 32-bit into the folder, and it is after the 64-bit in the structure, then I get to use the 32-bit.

I'm pretty frustrated with it. I've had other questions about Kontakt in the past (first one is, "Why do I need a not-included player to use a virtual instrument I purchased from you?), and when trying to get support for an operation question, was told they don't support the free player (which I shouldn't need to use, something should have been included in the virtual instrument), so I've got to monkey around with two complicated installs (studio computer is not on the web) because they can't decide how customer service works. I love the drums, but I'm ready to walk away if this doesn't clear up soon. For all I know, I've always been working in 32-bit. I've had them about a year and a half, and never realized that might be the case.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #13
Barksy

out of interest, where is this one folder, in 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)'.

We can only suggest you install it like we have advised, and it works for many people, so much that I've never come across your issue before.

We know not both Kontakt 32 and kontakt 64 will not show as a plugin at the same time, and that is why we advised to query the 64 plugs folder last in the Preferences section.

i can only suggest you try to reinstall, and install the 32 kontakt plug in the Program Files (86)/Common Files/VST .....and the 64 kontakt plug in Program Files /Common Files/VST.

Perhaps even download Kontakt again, but give this installation method a try.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
vassaux

Hi Barksy! As suggested, I created VST Plugins folders in each of \Program Files and \Program Files (x86). I separated my plug-ins into the correct folders, and reinstalled Kontakt, using the generic (installer suggested) folder for the program, and pointing the two VST pieces to the correct folder (32 or 64), in the Instruments subfolder I created. I then set up Reaper to use both folders, with the 32-bit folder reading first in the list, then the 64-bit folder. Upon starting Reaper, I Clear Cache and Re-Scanned, then tried to load my RPP. Again, it came up that it couldn't find Kontakt. I went ahead and removed the 64-bit files from the Instruments sub-folder, Clear Cache and Re-Scan again, and then loaded the RPP, and it found and used the 32-bit version. I'm actually in contact with a guy at NI, and have gone through these steps with him. He seems puzzled, too. For some reason, the scan is apparently seeing the 32-bit version, but if it then sees the 64-bit version, it apparently 'replaces' the 32-bit version, as it should, but then won't recognize the 64-bit version. If it never sees the 64-bit version, it leaves the 32-bit version alone.

Yes, I double checked that I am running 64-bit Reaper, and have checked the .dll files to verify 32 and 64-bit files.

I should also mention that the Kontakt stand-alone will not start, either.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
bluzkat

Did you run Kontakt in standalone mode before trying to use the plugin (NI recommended)?

Can you open the 64 bit Kontakt in standalone mode?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #16
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassaux View Post
I should also mention that the Kontakt stand-alone will not start, either.
I would say this should be a big hint... start checking your system to get Kontakt stand-alone running - don't worry about Reaper at this point.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
vassaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Did you run Kontakt in standalone mode before trying to use the plugin (NI recommended)?

Can you open the 64 bit Kontakt in standalone mode?

Nope, it won't run at all, I just get a Windows "unexpected shutdown", and an offer to look it up, but since my machine is not connected to the Internet, I can't do that. I'm thinking of grabbing a USB wifi adapter to give that a chance.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:44 AM   #18
DarkStar

As the Kontakt standalone crashes you should go back to your NI contact with the details of the error. Looking up the error will probably not be of any use.