Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Shrivel
Human being with feelings

Default My drum tracks (BFD 2.0) won't render accurately.

So back at Christmastime I upgraded my BFD Eco to the full BFD 2.0 and have been recording some great tracks using it. I have gotten pretty good at creating drum tracks in the plugin, but I continue to struggle with one single issue.

I usually do all my mixing and editing with the BFD drum tracks in midi mode and everything sounds great. Once I am ready to bounce down to a final stereo track or a smaller set of stems for some final mixing is when the problems start. No matter how I render the BFD drum track (whether a single stem track or the full mix), the rendered version is not the same as the midi version. The individual notes are cut off - this is most noticeable on cymbal hits. The 'splash' after the hit is gone. I have rendered the track using every possible setting I can think of: no FX, all effects, etc. I have changed every setting I can think might impact it in BFD and in Reaper. I have even manually lengthened the notes in the midi editor and they still render with a distinct cut-off.

I appreciate any help in advance.
Shrivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Tod

Use Record: Output on the drum audio tracks and render in real time. Or use some other method to render in real time. Midi tracks can have problems rendering at full speed.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
dea-man

Default Might help.........

Turn off "Enable After Touch" if your using a midi keyboard that has aftertouch.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Shrivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Use Record: Output on the drum audio tracks and render in real time. Or use some other method to render in real time. Midi tracks can have problems rendering at full speed.

I am so happy I could cry right now - this worked perfectly. I don't know how I never knew that was possible, but it works.
Shrivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Sigilus

Of course, with new drum editors, sample libraries are drawn from so every performance is (intentionally) different based on which sample gets called for a particular hit in order to 'humanize' the sound. Not the question you were asking (which is already answered great!) but something for others to note - yeah, it won't be exact. Unless you program it that way.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote