Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Liquid Fusion
Human being with feelings

Default Huge Sale Today Waves Plugins

Noticed 29.00 for many of their expensive plugins. Not working for them in any way.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
galaxy_beef

Default Interesting

I've been eyeing the doubler and vocal rider for a while. WHY is vocal rider 69 when bass rider is 29? The world may never know.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
iqi616

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy_beef View Post
I've been eyeing the doubler and vocal rider for a while. WHY is vocal rider 69 when bass rider is 29? The world may never know.
Vocal rider and bass rider are handy tools. I suspect there's a weaker market for the bass one because many bassists compress during tracking. Vocal rider is good for leveling out lumpy vocals ahead of compression because it cuts down the amount of manual tweaks necessary thereby saving time. Needs careful adjusting though.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
galaxy_beef

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqi616 View Post
Vocal rider and bass rider are handy tools. I suspect there's a weaker market for the bass one because many bassists compress during tracking. Vocal rider is good for leveling out lumpy vocals ahead of compression because it cuts down the amount of manual tweaks necessary thereby saving time. Needs careful adjusting though.
Yeah, I always assumed there would be a way to do 'vocal riding' using a reaper script, but the discussions about it always got way too complicated. I could never replicate what they did with even remotely decent results. For the most part, I don't think I need it, but if it came down any more I'd probably pull the trigger. Is it something that you would recommend as crucial to your workflow?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
mikeroephonics

Does anyone know if their copy protection requires that the USB drive/stick containing the license information needs to be connected while using their plugins within a session, or does it only need to be connected for the authorization process only?

I've been eyeing a few of their plugins but I don't want to take up a USB port just to use some copy protection scheme for a few plugins.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
Does anyone know if their copy protection requires that the USB drive/stick containing the license information needs to be connected while using their plugins within a session, or does it only need to be connected for the authorization process only?

I've been eyeing a few of their plugins but I don't want to take up a USB port just to use some copy protection scheme for a few plugins.

Thanks!
If you put the licenses on a USB stick, you need to have it plugged in to use the plugins. But you can also authorize the computer itself, but it is more cumbersome if you ever need to use the same plugins on another computer some time.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
andy79

Waves Tune is 69$. Anybody have experience with it and with usage in Reaper?
Thanks
andy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
galaxy_beef

Default ''

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy79 View Post
Thanks
Hey Andy, I didn't love it when I had their cracked plugins years ago, but I'm sure it gets the job done. I would suggest checking this bundle out if you want it though, lots of goodies for a few extra bucks.

http://www.waves.com/bundles/vocal
Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
G-Sun

Quote:
Thanks
Waves Tune is my goto pitch-correction.
Sound-wise and auto is as good (or better) than any.
Features and workflow not on par with eg. Melodyne
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
bobtom1

If you create a free account with audiodeluxe.com you can buy them even cheaper!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
bladerunner

Quote:
Thanks
I rate it higher than any other pitch correction plugin I've ever used.

I pretty much only use Waves stuff these days - amazing to see so many great plugins for $29. Picked up Center and Inphase in this particular sale for the combined price of £36 - not bad at all.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
andy79

Thanks all. Actually forgot to mention, I would like to use it more on guitar takes if that would make any sense. I guess I would have more problems with polyphonic samples.

Melodyne is way too expensive. Not sure if the Essential is not to stripped down version.

Indeed the Vocal bundles has much more stuff for extra 20bucks.

I have the audiodeluxe account but in this case prices are the same. Seemingly Waves changed their policy with distributors lately.
andy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
bladerunner

Quote:
Thanks all. Actually forgot to mention, I would like to use it more on guitar takes if that would make any sense. I guess I would have more problems with polyphonic samples.

Melodyne is way too expensive. Not sure if the Essential is not to stripped down version.

I have the audiodeluxe account but in this case prices are the same. Seemingly Waves changed their policy with distributors lately.
Waves Tune LT for $29 should be perfectly adequate for 99% of tuning tasks. It's what I use most of the time (unless I'm using the item pitch envelope - probably more than half of tuning duties I do there).
Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
keyman_sam

Quote:

For guitar you need Melodyne's polyphonic pitch detection. It's the only one which can do that. Waves is good for monophonic stuff only.

See if you can score a copy of Melodyne v2 editor. It does all the same stuff, without a couple workflow enhancements. I have v2 and v4 and the only improvement in _MY_ use case is v4 allows saving/loading and is snappier.
keyman_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #15
keyman_sam

Isn't the ReaXComp the same thing as Waves C6?

I'm eyeing SoundShifter and Vitamin and possibly H-delay but I already have SuperTap so I'm not sure how useful it can be.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #16
keyman_sam

Ah I just updated Waves Central (reqd.) and installed demo for waves vitamin and a couple others. Crashed on exit.

Now when I open DAW it asks for waves plugin folder. Following their solution online doesn't work. Then, Cubase opens as if opening for the first time. Fantastic.

Why am I the only one with these splendid problems, especially from Waves? It looks like I have the Murphy's law of Waves installations - what CAN go wrong ALWAYS does go wrong.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
juhhie

Quote:
WHY is vocal rider 69 when bass rider is 29? The world may never know.
I believe it's because bassists don't need a ride since they're always in the wrong place anyway.
juhhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #18
keyman_sam

Well fixed my error by copying the right version dll into my vst plugins folder. Demo'ed Soundshifter (nice tool but no offline version) - probably what I want the most. Compared it with Cubase's pitch correct and it's way different sounding. Soundshifter has an open high end whereas cubase eats the higs in low pitch shifts. Why don't they have it working for cubase? :-/

Also tried their Reel ADT plugin - pretty similar to freeware ADT and doubler. I'm sticking with ADT/Doubler for the time being.

Right now Vitamin is the only thing that seems tempting. H-Delay I'm going to skip seeing as I have Replika.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:24 AM   #19
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman_sam View Post
Isn't the ReaXComp the same thing as Waves C6?
C6 has external sidechain. Also, it (in my opinion) sounds better than ReaXcomp. Of course, it depends what you're using it for.

Quote:
I'm eyeing SoundShifter and Vitamin and possibly H-delay but I already have SuperTap so I'm not sure how useful it can be.
Soundshifter covers ground that most DAW's have built in now - it's an old plugin that was useful for DAW's that didn't have pitch shifting etc. I guess.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #20
keyman_sam

True but soundshifter has a different sound perhaps due to using a different stretch algorithm.

There's certainly a need for a pitch shifter in plugin format when doing buildups/risers/etc. you can just throw in a shifter and automate pitch slider. I do it manually by slicing the audio and incrementing the pitch of each take, but this would be much faster. Damn shame that the parametric functionality won't work in Cubase or I'd have bit the bullet.

SoundToys' LittleAlterBoy comes DAMN close to the sound though. SoundShifter sounds thicker, brings out the room tone out.

The elastique Pro-Pitch algorithm has a similar sound as LittleAlterBoy. SoundShifter sounds...different (not necessarily better).
Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #21
iqi616

Quote:
Yeah, I always assumed there would be a way to do 'vocal riding' using a reaper script, but the discussions about it always got way too complicated. I could never replicate what they did with even remotely decent results. For the most part, I don't think I need it, but if it came down any more I'd probably pull the trigger. Is it something that you would recommend as crucial to your workflow?
Vocal rider isn't crucial, but it is helpful in speeding up the process - especially with lumpy vocals that don't hit a compressor with enough consistency which would need a bunch of automation to fix.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
keyman_sam

I'm tempted to pick up LoAir. Any users here?

I think my final basket is going to be LoAir, Vitamin. I demo'ed H-Delay but not too tempted to add yet another delay in my list.

So far I've demo'ed SoundShifter, Vitamin, H-Delay, MaxxVolume, Abbey Road ADT, LoAir.

Pending C4/C6 - only because the side-chain would make mixing kick+bass potentially easier.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #23
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
If you put the licenses on a USB stick, you need to have it plugged in to use the plugins. But you can also authorize the computer itself, but it is more cumbersome if you ever need to use the same plugins on another computer some time.
Thanks for the information! I read that you can only reauthorize once per-year.

Source:

www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/central/waves-central.pdf
"You can recover your licenses once a year in case your device has been lost, stolen or damaged."

I would rather keep the license file on the PC (Windows 7 64-bit) than on a USB drive. I have no need nor plans to use other computers with Waves plugins so I won't be moving licenses around.

I also saw this thread in which you had posted:
Waves - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=175911

That thread is a year old now. Do you think there are still concerns regarding authorizing a PC's HDD for Waves plugins? The idea of using non-OS sectors freaks me out for reasons detailed in this thread.

Thanks!
- Mike
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #24
richie43

Quote:

Source:

"You can recover your licenses once a year in case your device has been lost, stolen or damaged."

I would rather keep the license file on the PC (Windows 7 64-bit) than on a USB drive. I have no need nor plans to use other computers with Waves plugins so I won't be moving licenses around.

That thread is a year old now. Do you think there are still concerns regarding authorizing a PC's HDD for Waves plugins? The idea of using non-OS sectors freaks me out for reasons detailed in this thread.

Thanks!
- Mike
The 1 recovery per year is different than authorizing. You can move authorizations as many times as you want. If you authorize the computer and sometime need to use the plugins on another computer, you can move them (using the Waves License Manager thing) to "the cloud" and then move them again to the new computer. Not a HUGE deal, but some people would rather use a USB stick.
And regarding the other question.....At your own risk...ha.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #25
bladerunner

Some of you guys should be getting emails for a further $10 off plugin prices - for doing a quick survey.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #26
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
I'm tempted to pick up LoAir. Any users here?

LoAir is great. I use it on all sorts of things. It is really good for creating big, movie cinema style subsonics.
It can go from very subtle enhancement all the way to earthquake territory.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #27
keyman_sam

Quote:

Source:

Thanks!
- Mike
Do NOT authorize it in your PC - trust me, been there, done that and it is a world of pain. If you disable internet, your waves will stop working till you enable it because it is based on the NIC's MAC. If you have 2 NICs like I do, you're doubly screwed.

The best thing I did to handle waves is to dedicate a thumb drive, name it WAVES and use it like an iLok for waves stuff only. No more "License missing" problems after that.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #28
keyman_sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Some of you guys should be getting emails for a further $10 off plugin prices - for doing a quick survey.
Please tell us how! Where is this survey? I'm about to buy 2 plugins it'll really help to have this discount.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #29
G-Sun

Quote:
Please tell us how! Where is this survey? I'm about to buy 2 plugins it'll really help to have this discount.
Have a look here:
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/waves.com?c=8448871
Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #30
songsj

All I know is I wish this sale would end as I have bought way too many plugin's. I soon will be broke!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 AM   #31
bladerunner

Quote:
I guess you have to already be a waves customer - I got the email yesterday.

G-Sun has linked you to a code that will get you a further 10% off at the checkout.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #32
ivansc

I actually got 2 $10 discount vouchers - one per email address that I use with Waves!
Wonder if I will get away with using them both AND get the 30% off one plug for buying 2 plugs?

Already picked out a delay and the H compressor, which for some reason I didn't already have.

I don think I have ever paid full price or even close to it for a Waves plug & have never bought the update plan.... they are not getting rich off of me.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 AM   #33
G-Sun

I got H-Comp and MaxBass.
(Do I need more plugins? Oh.. well )

btw: Not to happy with all extra downloading for install,
but hopefully everything goes smooth.

Why did I get GTR and TG12345 installed??
Well, anyway, the plugins wanted installed and seem working fine, so.

Last edited by G-Sun; 04-21-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #34
mikeroephonics

Just dropping back in to say the 10% and 15% off coupons here work at Waves.com on their checkout page. These coupons work in addition to the existing discounts.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #35
sostenuto

Can read the brief content ... BUT ... really need advice on Musicians1 or Musicians2.
Goal is DOUBLER, but for $10 more .. can get one of these.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #36
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I don think I have ever paid full price or even close to it for a Waves plug & have never bought the update plan.... they are not getting rich off of me.
Because no one ever got rich from high volume sales?!!!

An obvious question for Waves customers is has anyone ever bought an expensive Waves plugin outside of the sales periods?
And would they admit to it.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #37
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Just dropping back in to say the 10% and 15% off coupons here work at Waves.com on their checkout page. These coupons work in addition to the existing discounts.

Neither of the 15% deals work here, and http://everyplugin.com and https://plugindiscounts.com still have better prices regardless.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #38
keyman_sam

Bought LoAir and Vitamin from everyplugin - cheaper with this coupon: DK39S than at the actual Waves site.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:29 AM   #39
bladerunner

After updating Central and the plugins (to V9.91) an annoying problem resurfaces in Reaper. None of the plugins show in the Project Media/FX Bay on pre update projects. Also the folders I created for my Waves plugins have now disappeared from the fx browser. I would take an educated guess that it's because of the way Waves does things through a single .dll that references the individual plugin .dlls (that are in one of the Waves installation folders). Annoying! They must have changed the identifiers on the .dll's or something.

EDIT - if you toggle fx offline then online again it 'refreshes' the fx bay and they all come back. You have to resave the project to make it stick though.

Last edited by bladerunner; 04-22-2017 at 04:47 AM.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #40
electricthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Can read the brief content ... BUT ... really need advice on Musicians1 or Musicians2.
Goal is DOUBLER, but for $10 more .. can get one of these.
I've seen more people prefering Musicians2 though it depends on what you already have.
electricthing is offline   Reply With Quote