Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
toronado
Human being with feelings

Default new build - how much $ for CPU/board?

I'm considering three possible budget/scenarios for CPU/board combos in my next build. I just need help deciding how much I want to spend. I plan to use the Intel integrated graphics with dual monitors. All three combos officially support that but I don't know what performance to expect in REAPER depending on the different generations of iGPUs:

1. $115 = Pentium G630 (HD Graphics) + ASRock H61M/U3S3
2. $240 = Core i3 2125 (HD 3000 Graphics) + GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
3. $310 = Core i5 3570K (HD 4000 Graphics) + GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H

(All CPU prices are per MicroCenter and the boards are per NewEgg and rounded.)
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
ObiK

I'd usually stay away from integrated graphics but I have no experience with the latest Intel processors with improved performance in the graphics department. I'd always opt for the best you can afford with computer parts for your own build.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Viente

Just build microITX DAW with Core i3-2120 (3.3Ghz) with integrated graphics

Super quiet, super cold, super compact, super stable and only for $300 (total)

Last edited by Viente; 08-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Cosmic

I'm very successfullly running two monitors off my asrock h67m/i7 machine.

beast.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
toronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I'm very successfullly running two monitors off my asrock h67m/i7 machine.

beast.
Which i7? 1st gen or 2nd gen?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
toronado

Will 16GB RAM be enough?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Will 16GB RAM be enough?
It really depends on how many samples you want to have loaded in your memory - I would personally get AS MUCH as I can. 16 is great but if you can go higher and think you can use it...why not?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
toronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
It really depends on how many samples you want to have loaded in your memory - I would personally get AS MUCH as I can. 16 is great but if you can go higher and think you can use it...why not?
Thanks. I'm actually confused about this because someone said get an SSD because the samples are read faster (than a HDD). So do the samples get loaded into RAM or read off the SSD??? And are people successfully utilizing 32 GB in DAW systems today?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
toronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
I'd usually stay away from integrated graphics but I have no experience with the latest Intel processors with improved performance in the graphics department. I'd always opt for the best you can afford with computer parts for your own build.
I have a spare GeForce 7900 GTX. If I got the option #1 (Pentium G630 + ASRock H61M/U3S3), could I use that card with that system and run two monitors?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
matey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
n00b question: would you save your money better on ram than cpu (for daw use), for example, i3/16gb ram rather than i5/8gb?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
toronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
n00b question: would you save your money better on ram than cpu (for daw use), for example, i3/16gb ram rather than i5/8gb?
Yeah, but can I get away with the Sandy Bridge Pentium G and 16GB? :-)

Because 16GB is the max on that board (#1). If I get one of the other two combos, I can have 16GB to start and still have 2 empty slots for additional RAM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Quote:
1. $115 = Pentium G630 (HD Graphics) + ASRock H61M/U3S3
2. $240 = Core i3 2125 (HD 3000 Graphics) + GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
3. $310 = Core i5 3570K (HD 4000 Graphics) + GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H
Go with 3 and get as much RAM as you can, as Breeder said. If you can stretch, definitely go with an i7! And yes - use your spare graphics card regardless of what you choose. It will simply be better.

Mobo in 3rd config can take 32 GB of RAM? Then obviously go with that! But try stretching to i7 in that case, it will utilize all that RAM a bit better than i5.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
XITE-1/4LIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Well FWIW I always wanted a 1U DAW, but Integrated Graphics while itself being more than enough, had better access to RAM than the CPU on the Intels.
THe i5 Clarksdale was a dog for Kontakt.
But I found a friend using an Asus using the AMD FX w/ 128MB Sideport RAM Graphics worked really well as a cheap Kontakt rig. But AMD CPUs are just way too hot for a 1U.

But I have a few DAW's and my recent i7 build I put together in a 4U DAW using a Graphics card, then went to the HD4000 Graphics to see if I could maybe get a 1U I like finally. The i7 Z77 was made for this. It's GPU is totally seperate from the CPU but is on die ( chip not package )and it works great.
At first I went with the low profile 16GB 23nm Green 1.35v Samsung RAM and it was fine, but once I bumped the RAM up to 1.5v it sped up fast enough to use extra polyphony and workds great.
But I watched for weeks for anyone with 32GBs and only got the typical yes mine works w/o screen shots, which basically means they are graphics guys, with not even time to use their graphics as proof of their build.
But on the Asus Z77 Sabertooth after 3 BIOS upgrades I have seen the build via screenshots, and it not only uses 32GBs but can run it at 2133MHz.
I have no need for that as I want stability so 1600MHz and stock CPU are plenty. All in a 1U that has side fans and top lid with a Dremeled grated metal pattern where the CPU HSF heat rises directly out.
It's the coolest build I have done and I have done the last 5 builds and gig 6 nights a week.

So the time has come for on board Graphics finally.
FWIW The Gigabyte board with the i7 3770S at stock speeds are good, but the i7 3770k is only 35 bucks more and well worth the money.
I am using 14GBs out of 32GBs just for testing for 2 weeks now, and will be upgrading to LASS 2.0 and my max RAM used will be about 50%.

But I have an entire CPU to try and get KONTAKT AND PTeq 4.1 right where I want and this looks like a stage worthy rig.
Perfect partner for my 1U XITE-1 DSP rack.
Most folks would probably like the Apollo 1U from UAD. Really well coded plugs too, so a 2U rack can have incredible portable power.

They still have the i7 9000X Laptops that work great, as I have seen 2 of them here in Vegas running tons of plugs and Omnisphere, etc.
I built this entire 1U for 1350 USD, so it was financial.
Don't be shy, get the UD series from Gigabyte, call Vision DAW and ask them why and go for the i7 3770S if you are running stock, or the 3770k if you wan to go into the 4.4 GHz range.
But the Z77s are as audio friendly as the X58s, and the Z68s.
XITE-1/4LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Breeder

Quote:
Thanks. I'm actually confused about this because someone said get an SSD because the samples are read faster (than a HDD). So do the samples get loaded into RAM or read off the SSD??? And are people successfully utilizing 32 GB in DAW systems today?
I have zero experience with SSD so I can't answer that. 32 gb (even 64 if you can afford it) is definitely possible today - how stable will it be, it mostly depends on your motherboard but I guess any respectable model should handle it. Just make sure you do extensive googling of reviews before diving in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
Tough question I guess it all amounts to your needs - I would always prioritize the amount of RAM because I like to have everything in the template loaded and ready.

However, RAM is cheap, you could just get 8 gb now (in a format that will allow you to leave some slots empty) and get another 8 gb later
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
toronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
At first I went with the low profile 16GB 23nm Green 1.35v Samsung RAM and it was fine, but once I bumped the RAM up to 1.5v it sped up fast enough to use extra polyphony and workds great.
I really like what I've seen/read about the Samsung 1.35v RAM so far. The only drawback is they only come in 4GB modules. So if you have 4 slots, you max out at 16GB. That's one reason why I'm asking about if 16GB will be enough.

Why did you bump the speed up to 1.5v? Did you overclock the Samsung RAM, or replace it with something else?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
toronado

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Go with 3 and get as much RAM as you can, as Breeder said. If you can stretch, definitely go with an i7! And yes - use your spare graphics card regardless of what you choose. It will simply be better.

Mobo in 3rd config can take 32 GB of RAM? Then obviously go with that! But try stretching to i7 in that case, it will utilize all that RAM a bit better than i5.
I'm only considering using the dedicated graphics card in build #1 as a contingency in case the integrated on the Pentium is too terrible. I don't like using graphics cards because they generate extra heat in the case and use extra power.

i7 would be option #4 which is missing here for a reason - option #3 is already stretching the budget for me. :-) So perhaps 32GB and i7 would be my next build after this one - perhaps on Haswell.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #17
toronado

Default Pentium G RAM speed

One more question... I noticed on Intel's specs for the Pentium G630 http://ark.intel.com/products/53483/...he-2_70-GHz%29 it states "RAM Types: DDR3-1066". So it appears the CPU only supports DDR3-1066 RAM. What happens if you try to use DDR-1333?

The reason I ask is there are no 8GB DDR3-1066 sticks. The slowest 8GB sticks are DDR3-1333. So I'd need to use DDR-1333 sticks in order to have 16GB in the ASRock board. (The ASRock board supports DDR3-1333 RAM)