Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
JChief
Human being with feelings

Default Audio playback issues when inserting multiple plugins in Windows 7 x64

Several 32 bit plugins running on a single track will cause audio dropout/crackling upon playback!

When inserting three or more 32-bit effects plugins (Sonnox/Waves) on a MIDI track in Reaper x64, Windows 7 x64, audio will crackle and drop out after appx 10 sec of playback. Doesn't matter what plugin combination is used. If I only use two effects I do not have an issue as far as I can tell. It is not a computer hardware limitation because I am running a Quad Core (Q6600) setup with 4GB RAM. OS: WIndows 7 64-bit Enterprise.
JChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
manning1

are you by any chance doing this (recording //playback)from the same drive as win os resides ??
whats your sound device ??
stuttering etc can sometimes be caused by another device locking out the sound card.
have you run dpc latency checker ??
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
JChief

I am not using audio - just VST instruments on MIDI tracks with FX plugins.. I do have a dedicated drive for audio and to save projects to though.

Audio device is M-Audio Ozonic.

"stuttering etc can sometimes be caused by another device locking out the sound card. " - well I don't have this same problem when using Cubase!

"have you run dpc latency checker ?? " - No sorry I will look into it - never heard of it
Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
manning1

jc.
it can often be difficult to nail down these types of issues.
cos there are many reasons for stuttering.
heres what i would do next.
bring up windows task manager showing the 4 cores.
and monitor core load as you add plug ins.
and actually see what the 4 cores are doing.
btw..dont take out the problem on me.
i'm just trying to help..lol.
be aware that reaper and cubase are different products.
reaper is doing 64 bit mixing also.
i would also monitor your memory useage for the vsti's.
these vsti's , do they use lots of memory ??
are these sample libs your useing ??
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

You are running bridged 32-bit plugins in Reaper x64? You should try 3.12rc http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43676 (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22836), the latest build has some significant x64 bridging improvements.

When you say you don't have this problem in Cubase, you are talking about the same setup, Cubase x64 running 32-bit plugins in a VST bridge?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
JChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
jc.
it can often be difficult to nail down these types of issues.
cos there are many reasons for stuttering.
heres what i would do next.
bring up windows task manager showing the 4 cores.
and monitor core load as you add plug ins.
and actually see what the 4 cores are doing.
btw..dont take out the problem on me.
i'm just trying to help..lol.
be aware that reaper and cubase are different products.
reaper is doing 64 bit mixing also.
i would also monitor your memory useage for the vsti's.
these vsti's , do they use lots of memory ??
are these sample libs your useing ??
Oh my lol I wasn't taking anything out on you! Thanks for your help. I was just saying I didn't have the problem using Cubase so I didnt think that that specific thing would be the issue is all. Anyway I didn look at all 4 cores and none ever spiked beyond 13% - the CPU isn't being taxed hardly at all. Memory usage doesn't exceed 45%. No samples being used at all. Just FX like EQ/Compression/Spectral Analyzer.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
JChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You are running bridged 32-bit plugins in Reaper x64? You should try 3.12rc http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43676 (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22836), the latest build has some significant x64 bridging improvements.

When you say you don't have this problem in Cubase, you are talking about the same setup, Cubase x64 running 32-bit plugins in a VST bridge?
Opps I apologize I should let it be known that when I ran Cubase it was in Windows 7 32-bit environment. SO big difference there. I didn't think the 64 bit version would have an issue. If all else fails I will revert back to 32-bit OS sadly. I will try that 3.12RC thanks! Again the odd thing here is that I only start having issues after several (3 or more) plugins are used on the same track. When I spread the plugins out over several tracks I can usually get away with 2 on each track (3 tracks in my testing making 6 plugins total) but when I add any more I start to have audio drop outs crackling/studdering. I tried raising the buffer to 512 samples but Reaper keeps auto changing it back to 256?? If I close Reaper and make the changes it holds.. until I open Reaper again and I see the control panel auto change back to 256! Any ideas??
Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Reaper 3.12 is now released with the x64 bridging performance improvements: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

It's very much apples and oranges to compare 32/32 native processing with 64/32 bridged processing.

And of course you can run 32-bit Reaper on an x64 OS, you can even install both the 32-bit and x64 versions of Reaper and run whichever suits your mood on any given day.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
JChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

Well this was definitely fixed with the 3.12 RC for me. I inserted 5 FX plugins without any drop outs!!! SO that's great news! I am still having the issue where Reaper will hard set my ASIO buffer for my M-Audio Ozonic interface to 256. If I try and go into the control panel (which Reaper fails to auto-launch using the ASIO Configuration... button) and change to say 384 or 512, anything it will 1 second later revert back to 256! THANKS for the help fixing the drop out issues when using 32bit plugins!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
norbury brook

JCheif,

If the majority of your plugs are 32 bit then I'd run Reaper 32 under win 7 64 and bridge your 64 bit plugs.You wont get the huge memory benefit of reaper 64, but running the 32 bit version under win7x64 will give you a nice increase in ram usage.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
JChief

UPDATE: 32-bit version of Reaper v3.12 WILL launch the ASIO Control Panel of my audio device (M-Audio Ozonic). However - 64 bit will NOT do this. It will also not allow me to adjust buffer size after manually going into the control panel and changing. If Reaper x64 v3.12 is running it will auto-default to 256 samples. I do not have this problem running Windows 7 64-bit OS + 32-bit Reaper v3.12.

Last edited by JChief; 10-06-2009 at 04:23 PM.