Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
plgrmsprgrs
Human being with feelings

Default New Song - Rough Mix (UPDATED)

Hey folks,

It's been a while since I've hung out. Been very busy with this and that. Hope everyone is well and making great music. I've slipped in on occasion and heard some nice stuff.

This is a song I've been working on. The lyrics are really an old 18th century hymn from the guy that wrote Amazing Grace. It had no music to it and I just used one of the verses for a chorus to work it into a contemporary song structure. This is a rough mix I'm sending to a cellist I know nearby so he can learn the part and replace the vsti cello that's in this mix. Anyway, give a listen if you care to and let me know what you think. As usual, critiques are most welcome. Nice to have some other ears on the job!

https://app.box.com/s/8cmjxajntjsyr1bk8vp0

New mix:

https://app.box.com/s/m4t7zlfz2zeuw98z4ria

A little more tweaking:

https://app.box.com/s/2c042paq354dnzbnrys5

Kyle

Last edited by plgrmsprgrs; 05-02-2014 at 09:43 PM.
plgrmsprgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Sambo Rouge

Hey Palm!,

Nice to see you back.

What a heartfelt rendition. I like the lyric, harmonies and use of strings.

There's nothing particularly rough about this mix --- so I look forward to hearing the final version.
The cellist will definately add something.

Nice work.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
martifingers

To my ears not every setting of lyrics is entirely convincing but if I want one that does I will come back to this one. Lovely. And well recorded too.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
msore

Like it a lot. Basic, melodic, strong and repetitive. Like folk and religious music often is. Your rendition however is saved from tedium by such expert touches in expert arrangement that the basics become celebrations. As the song played with my ears, I wondered how it might sound with a male bass vocal harmony (alternating or sharing with the cello). Inspiring music-making.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
sammydix

this sounds "cozy" to me. i'm probably wrong, but the present cello sounds like it's an octave higher than it should be. doesn't have that deep, bassy cello sound i love (the cello is my favorite classical instrument). perhaps the real dude will add that element.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
kindafishy

Woah, you call this a rough mix? It sounds great.

Love the sound of the acoustic guitars, and the two tracks are played just right in how they compliment each other and create nice movement back and forth.

There is some sort of 'dip' or 'glitch' in the track at 0:23.

Really nice vocals. Excellent, smooth and expressive vibrato.

It's a bit on the subjective side, but just to throw it out there, I'd like to hear a little more definition and percussiveness from the bass.

Overall, this is great. The music is really nicely laid out and keeps moving forward. It provides an excellent canvas for your vocals here, which are done really, really well. Your vocals are the star here. Nice, nice work.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
plgrmsprgrs

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and very kind words. Been "plugging" away at this in spare time.

Sammy - I hope "cozy" is good. Makes me think of "too safe". Not sure I follow your idea, but definitely respect and want to understand your observations. Let me know what you think of the cello now. It's my fave too.

Kevin - I agree about the bass and tried to bring more definition in this mix.

msore - I messed around with several variations on the harmonies but kept coming back to this arrangement.

Anyway, here's an updated version. Please give a listen and let me know your thoughts. Niggles welcome! Thanks!

Kyle

https://app.box.com/s/m4t7zlfz2zeuw98z4ria
Old 05-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
sammydix

i meant 'cozy' in the sense of 'intimate'--a good thing. the cellos sound warmed up a bit on the newer.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
plgrmsprgrs

Sammy - got it! I was going for a natural, live kind of sound in an intimate setting I suppose. So glad you got that vibe.

I've done a little more tweaking on the mix here:

https://app.box.com/s/2c042paq354dnzbnrys5

Unless someone points points out something egregious that I've missed, I think I'm done with this one. We'll see what I think next week. It's so hard to know when it's time to call it finished. Again, all reviews welcome!

Kyle
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
kindafishy

Yeah, this does have a great vibe. I'd say it's done, done. What I really like about this mix is that it does not have a lot going on in the top end, yet I also wouldn't say that it is 'mid-heavy' in any sort of way. It is very clean and clear from 20-20000. This overall esthetic really works well... I think it's what makes it cozy.

Comfort food for the soul.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote