Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
MattCiessan
Human being with feelings

Default Saffire Pro 40- more inputs?

So I have two Saffire Pro 40's, but one of them is broken (the firewire port is dead). It is estimated to cost around 200 to fix (so says the email), but I'm wondering if it would be more worth it to buy something else in the price-range.

I am curious whether or not those new behringer U-phoria UMC1820 units would be compatible through ADAT to give me the 8 extra inputs. (for essentially the same price) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820

I'm not sure they are even technically out yet, but I think it might be worth it (if it's compatible) because it would be an alternative interface that could hook up via USB in case firewire fails me again. I'm also curious about the MIDAS pre's.

What do you guys think? and is that possible to hook those up together?
Old 04-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
timothys_monster

Depends on the Behringer. If you can run it standalone together with AD/DA conversion through the ADAT interface, it should work with the Saffire Pro 40.
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
MattCiessan

Well the behringer is a standalone USB interface. It has adat in and out also, I've never used adat so this is new to me. It should be able to hook up that easily?

The broken saffire wouldn't work with adat but I think that's because it was locked in its interface mode and can only be standalone after you change the settings in the mix control panel. But since the firewire port is broken I am unable to change it.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
Aesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCiessan View Post
So I have two Saffire Pro 40's, but one of them is broken (the firewire port is dead). It is estimated to cost around 200 to fix (so says the email), but I'm wondering if it would be more worth it to buy something else in the price-range.

I am curious whether or not those new behringer U-phoria UMC1820 units would be compatible through ADAT to give me the 8 extra inputs. (for essentially the same price) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820

I'm not sure they are even technically out yet, but I think it might be worth it (if it's compatible) because it would be an alternative interface that could hook up via USB in case firewire fails me again. I'm also curious about the MIDAS pre's.

What do you guys think? and is that possible to hook those up together?
If you live in Europe the mackie onyx is real cheap. For 200 the repair is probably still worth it though.
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote