Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
lxm
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer X-Touch

Just wondering who is using these? How is it working for you? Do plugins map correctly? Easy to program it if not?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
EpicSounds

I was in a conversation about it on Facebook but I'll probably never find a public link if I tried.

As a mix controller it only works in HUI mode. No MIDI on the standard X-Touch.
For the guy I was chatting with it was perfect.

The compact model can do MIDI.

I'm pretty happy with my BCF2000 and I don't do any MIDI with it. Faders, select and mute is pretty much all I want.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:57 AM   #3
brynolf

HUI is MIDI as far as I know. Wierd if the Xtouch cant send "ordinary" MIDI messages. Is that really the case?
brynolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Pinecone

Default any help appreciated...buttons and what they do..

i've just got the x-touch universal, and i'm just getting to grips with klinke's mcu dll for helping to expand its use with reaper..does anyone know what all the buttons do..i know this probably sounds like a newbie question and it is really, but if i could find out exactly what buttons like the track and instrument buttons would do were they fully working (say with logic) i could re-interpret them and edit them in klinke's apps, possibly..does this make sense?
additionally, i'd like to get the global view buttons working (on light grey strip below the LED screen) markers working...in the tutorial videos on behringer's youtube page, he's using logic all the time so i presume it was created around that and in there they have 'drop marker on gridline', 'drop marker without adhering to grid' and 'delete marker'..
anyone getting anymore actions working..if so would you be kind enough to share what you did please?
thanks in advance if you can help.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
LugNut

Hi,

I believe you mean "MCU" mode. Which is also based on midi messages, but the hui uses "non standard" midi messages. The MCU protocol is actually called "Mackie control protocol."
The reason mackie calls the hardware MCU...Mackie control universal ....is because it can do MCP and logic control..another protocol...and hui if I'm not mistaken.

Guido
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
i've just got the x-touch universal, and i'm just getting to grips with klinke's mcu dll for helping to expand its use with reaper..does anyone know what all the buttons do..i know this probably sounds like a newbie question and it is really, but if i could find out exactly what buttons like the track and instrument buttons would do were they fully working (say with logic) i could re-interpret them and edit them in klinke's apps, possibly..does this make sense?
additionally, i'd like to get the global view buttons working (on light grey strip below the LED screen) markers working...in the tutorial videos on behringer's youtube page, he's using logic all the time so i presume it was created around that and in there they have 'drop marker on gridline', 'drop marker without adhering to grid' and 'delete marker'..
anyone getting anymore actions working..if so would you be kind enough to share what you did please?
thanks in advance if you can help.
Hi,

Check out klinkes manual. Not at comp now, but it explains all.
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Pinecone

thanks Lug, i had a look through the klinke manual and i could be wrong but i get the impression his/her first language isn't english as some of the things i found unclear..not being a programmer possibly also added to this..
i keep hearing that the mcu protocol means that you can't really edit beyond what the DAW is compatible with in the MCU domain but i wondered how much you CAN edit..for instance if i wanted to make use of the coloured scribble strips, would there be ANY way to do this via klinke?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:20 AM   #8
BoogieBear

Just got my X-Touch installed
Works fairly well in MC mode using the standard REAPER preset from the menu in Control Surface
Am I right in thinking that if I select MIDI mode on the X-Touch and then set it up in the MIDI devices section it will work that way too as a HUI device?
Sorry if I'm way off the mark here but this stuff is outside my area of expertise
I hope Justin and the team can find time to write something into REAPER that would give all the functions that are available on theis control surface because it is a substantial and well built piece of kit that could easily become the heart of any small to medium studio
Should I be looking at the 'Klinke' threads on here and uploading his version of the controll .dll?
Any help with this and generally about using the X-Touch with REAPER would be really appreciated
Thanks
Anton
Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
Icchan

Justin has just gotten in contact with Mackie about getting a free SDK license for Mackie HUI so it's conceivable that HUI and other Mackie protocols will be better supported by Reaper in the near future.

In the mean time look for Klinke plugin on the forums for better support for Mackie stuff.

And if I'm not completely mistaken, X-touch does have OSC support (that's what it's using to control X32 and X-air series stuff), but it's not documented yet.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
BoogieBear

Thanks Iccham

I will try the Klinke route and hope that Justin manages to get the protocol sorted out!

The X-Touch really is a superb interface for REAPER if we could have all the functions working

Cheers
Anton
Old 02-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #11
BoogieBear

OH CRAP!

How I wish I had never started with this!!!

Yesterday I had the X-Touch working quite well as a control surface and happily co-existing with my FaderPort which lives on my Nord Piano for quick access to stop/start duties

Why couldn't I just leave things alone instead of searching for perfection?

I installed the Klinke stuff but it was a disaster, less of everything!!!

Now niether the X-Touch nor my iPad which was working perfectly through rtpMIDI to control REAPER using the DAW Control app from any room within Wi-Fi range

After trying everything I can think of including multiple re-boots of the units concerned and re-installing REAPER I'm now back to where I was in the middle of 2015

I really hope Justin and the team can get the stuff sorted for the X-Touch because it really is s goid bit of kit

Going for beer, maybe several ��
Old 02-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Icchan

You did get the latest version, right?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=171827

How and where you find latest version is a bit convoluted, and you should also update your x-touch firmware to it's latest version if you've not done so yet.

http://forum.music-group.com/showthr...ed-for-X-Touch
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #13
BoogieBear

I did get the latest version Icchan, yes

The X-Touch also has the latest firmware too

This unit was a B stock item from Thoman and I'm begining to wonder if it might be faulty!

It just doesn't seem stable

I got the Klinke MCU to work with in a limited sort of way but hardly any of the buttons lit up and the o ly thing that seemed to work was the transport - no lights on these buttons either and not much else happening

Maybe installing Klinke has changed something in REAPER

Will work on it again later today
Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
Drak

I just received my Universal X Touch this Thursday. I started to set it up Friday evening and I've been playing with it all weekend.

Mine works to some degree but a number of functions do not work. I have the unit set to MC and USB.

Under Preferences I have my control surfaces set up to Mackie Control Universal (klinke's). For Midi Input and Midi Output, I've selected X Touch.

Issues: No touch sensitivity on my faders. When I touch each fader, they will not select the corresponding tracks. I have to use the select button above each fader to select tracks in the DAW. However, I do notice in the bottom left hand corner of Reaper that the names of each track do change in small text as I touch my way through the faders, so in that respect Reaper can feel what I'm doing.

The Global View section doesn't do anything.

Under Coder Assign at the top of the unit, I can't select the TRACK button. It won't light up.

Under Transport I can't get these functions to operate. If I press Nudge or Marker, they light up, but they do no do anything. For instance, if I have Nudge Selected and I'm pressing the forward and reverse button below, it won't nudge anything.

I've tried the other options under control surfaces such as Mackie Control (Klinke's) and the standard Mackie Control/Mackie Control Universal. But Mackie Control Universal (Klinke's) seems to offer the most operation.

That's all I have for now as I'm new to this and haven't fully explored. Overall at least I can mix with real faders which I like. I'm just wondering if I've missed something in my set up? I've read Klinke's manuals, I'll read them again.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #15
BoogieBear

I've given up with it!

Sending the unit back to Germany and asking for a replacement

Tried it on my laptop which I use for location recording and absolutely nithing happening in MC mode over USB

Will post again when I have the replacement unit installed...
Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 AM   #16
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Issues: No touch sensitivity on my faders. When I touch each fader, they will not select the corresponding tracks. I have to use the select button above each fader to select tracks in the DAW. However, I do notice in the bottom left hand corner of Reaper that the names of each track do change in small text as I touch my way through the faders, so in that respect Reaper can feel what I'm doing.
This is the indented behavior. Why should touching a fader select the track, if you have also select buttons for this functionality?

Quote:
The Global View section doesn't do anything.
The buttons in the Global View section must be assigned to functions by yourself. Just open the Action dialog in Reaper, select an Action and press the corresponding button. Check also the manual for more details (like usage of modifier buttons).

Quote:
Under Coder Assign at the top of the unit, I can't select the TRACK button. It won't light up.
Yes, some buttons are not used in the current implementation (it's possible that the TRACK button is one of those (there is a picture in the manual where the unused buttons are documented).

Quote:
Under Transport I can't get these functions to operate. If I press Nudge or Marker, they light up, but they do no do anything. For instance, if I have Nudge Selected and I'm pressing the forward and reverse button below, it won't nudge anything.
Yep, there is no nudging implemented via the transport section. I do this via the Action mode for the VPots, which allows to assign different VPots to Actions like moving item, move only start/end etc..
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #17
jamesd256

Please don't take this the wrong way, but all of the questions I've seen on this page are answered by the manual. It's only 20 pages, but beyond the fact that it answers all these questions, by reading it you'll find out about all the amazing enhancements and workflow assistance that Klinke has put in to the implementation. It's very dense, so if you skim read it you'll miss all the important detail - but it's all there.

Too many to list here, but tons of enhancements that really speed you up. It's really the best implementation of the Mackie protocol I've found.

On the odd occasion I've wanted to remap the buttons, I've found you can do a lot with midiox on that front.

In short, by spending the time necessary, I've been able to get exactly the functionality I wanted, and along the way I have absorbed numerous power ups thanks to Klinke.
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #18
BoogieBear

Oh I hope no one thought I was criticising the Kinke MCU stuff!

Quite the opposite I feel sure it 's great but I beleve my problem is and has been all along a faulty X-Touch

For some reason I can't raise any response from Thomann despite three e-mails and a request for a returns number on their web page

As I said above, on the few occasions I booted my studio and X-Touch worked it was really good

This said I think the unit failed as or just before I booted with the Klinke MCU so I can't say too much

From what I can see from the manual, I think the Klinke MCU looks great because you can basically programme most of the unsued buttons to do whatever you want them to by using the Actions menu in REAPER

I'll report back here when I finally get a replacement unit working
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #19
Drak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd256 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but all of the questions I've seen on this page are answered by the manual. It's only 20 pages, but beyond the fact that it answers all these questions, by reading it you'll find out about all the amazing enhancements and workflow assistance that Klinke has put in to the implementation. It's very dense, so if you skim read it you'll miss all the important detail - but it's all there.

Too many to list here, but tons of enhancements that really speed you up. It's really the best implementation of the Mackie protocol I've found.

On the odd occasion I've wanted to remap the buttons, I've found you can do a lot with midiox on that front.

In short, by spending the time necessary, I've been able to get exactly the functionality I wanted, and along the way I have absorbed numerous power ups thanks to Klinke.
You're absolutely right. I do tend to skim read parts on top of the excitement at getting things up and running, but I'm also not the brightest bulb on the tree. Apologies for the repetitive questions on my end.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
Drak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
This is the indented behavior. Why should touching a fader select the track, if you have also select buttons for this functionality?

The buttons in the Global View section must be assigned to functions by yourself. Just open the Action dialog in Reaper, select an Action and press the corresponding button. Check also the manual for more details (like usage of modifier buttons).

Yes, some buttons are not used in the current implementation (it's possible that the TRACK button is one of those (there is a picture in the manual where the unused buttons are documented).

Yep, there is no nudging implemented via the transport section. I do this via the Action mode for the VPots, which allows to assign different VPots to Actions like moving item, move only start/end etc..

Thank you Klinke, and thank you for your hard work.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
jamesd256

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieBear View Post
Oh I hope no one thought I was criticising the Kinke MCU stuff!

Not coming at you, just to make the general comment that it's one project worth persevering with.

You should be critical. Of everything. As long as you're nice with it

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I do tend to skim read parts on top of the excitement at getting things up and running, but I'm also not the brightest bulb on the tree. Apologies for the repetitive questions on my end.
I totally understand, I am the same, and have lots of forum posts to prove it.

You must be smart, you're a REAPER user

If you have any further issues I'll try to help.
jamesd256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #22
BoogieBear

Heard from Thomann today

There is a new firmware just gone up (1.15 I think) and they recommend updating to that as the 1.14 was rather 'buggy'!

http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...0B1X/downloads

I propose to update in the morning, I'll report back on the result

Cheers for now...
Old 02-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #23
Drak

Quote:
Heard from Thomann today

There is a new firmware just gone up (1.15 I think) and they recommend updating to that as the 1.14 was rather 'buggy'!

http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...0B1X/downloads

I propose to update in the morning, I'll report back on the result

Cheers for now...
Thanks for the heads up. Just updated.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #24
BoogieBear

Hi Drak

When you ran the updater what figure did the counter reach?
Was it 100 or 99?
Mine only went to 56 and stopped
The unit still won't work!

Cheers
Anton
Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #25
Drak

Quote:
Hi Drak

When you ran the updater what figure did the counter reach?
Was it 100 or 99?
Mine only went to 56 and stopped
The unit still won't work!

Cheers
Anton
My apologies for your troubles on this. I can't remember though. I let it run till it stopped then rebooted, but I don't remember the count. I used SendSx instead of Midi Ox.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #26
BoogieBear

Ah, OK, no problem
Thanks anyway
Old 03-04-2016, 05:16 AM   #27
Pinecone

boogiebear, yes 56 is the count it went to in mine..its a smaller size firmware - upon reaching 56 its installed.
i too got mine as a b-stock unit from Thomann
i could be wrong but i don't get the imnpression yours is faulty if thats any consolation, just maybe spend a couple more days noodling around with it checking the settings on reaper etc...i think you have at least 30 days to do this don't you?
Old 03-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #28
BoogieBear

Hey Pinecone

I am so impatient sometimes!!!

Sent it back and ordered a new one 😄

Got it up and running yesterday but today no dice!

Finally I think I've got it - did I mention Ican be greedy too...

It seems it was a fluke that I got it working alongside the FaderPort and in fact the true problem is the USB drivers

It now works every time I boot up since I removed the FaderPort from the control suface menu

The irony of this is that the X Touch is working but with the FaderPort as the MIDI in and out setting

If I try to make it use the X Touch drivers it won't work! How loony is that?

I think I have the answer to the problem now, both the FaderPort and the X Touch use a native driver named USB Audio Device and the two devices get confused as to which driver they use

The answer to this I think is to remove all my USB drivers and reload them one at a time and rename them in the alias box in REAPER

Worse case scenario is I can only run one control surface at a time but hey...

I'm going to try the Klinque MCU thingy because like I said I can be greedy and I would like to have as much of the control surface functional as possible and he mentions a hack in his code to allow to control surfaces to run at once

Well here's hoping eh? 😊

I'll post back here when I have everything sorted out, the X Touch really rocks at controlling REAPER and I hope Justin and the gang get the X Touch in the standard surface list like the FaderPort is

Cheers for now
Old 03-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #29
BoogieBear

...quick update!

OK for anyone who is still struggling with the X Touch here is my result so far...

Working fully now with the standard REAPER Mackie MCU setting and the alternative Klinke MCU available for download (thanks Klinkesteker, brilliant bit of work!) from this forum

The issues I have been struggling with are all down to the USB drivers for the various devices and the fact that in native form they all appear to be named "USB Audio Device"

I have now loaded them one at a time and renamed them using the Alias option in the REAPER MIDI settings boxes on the device dropdown menu

I now have the X Touch and the PreSonus FaderPort running side by side with each device following the a tion of the other

The FaderPort is only working by using the Klinke seocond suface hack described in his manual
Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 AM   #30
Pinecone

Default x-touch snooped xctl protocol doc

Hi although i don't really understand it, Fred over at the behringer forum has just snooped the X-touch and tabulated the Xctl protocol.
with this information, how possible would it be to enable coloured scribble strips?

http://www.budgetfeatures.com/XctlDO...uch%20V1.0.pdf (10 page document)

Last edited by Pinecone; 03-30-2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:33 AM   #31
SEA

I'm thinking about getting the X-Touch as well. However, I have the Novation 25 SL MK II arriving in a few days so it might be all I need.

However, if the X-Touch is working great with Reaper then I can simply unplug the 25 SL MK II and set the X-Touch in it's place on my desk. They share almost the exact same foot print only the 25 SL MK II is about 2/3 inch wider and the X-Touch is like 1/3 of an inch deeper.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic

Last edited by SEA; 08-11-2016 at 09:31 AM.
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #32
SEA

I sent back the 25 SL MK II (had issues with it) and to save room I just want to use the X TOUCH as my main controller to control my VST synths and plugs as well.

What I would like to do is be able to launch my VSTs on a track with the X TOUCH and then in real time change the synths and plugs parameters so you can get real hands on controls and write them to automation.

Plus, it would be great to use the X TOUCH faders and B3 drawbars when cutting organ tracks.

Can this be done? Has any used the X TOUCH to control VSTs like this?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2016, 04:04 AM   #33
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I sent back the 25 SL MK II (had issues with it) and to save room I just want to use the X TOUCH as my main controller to control my VST synths and plugs as well.

What I would like to do is be able to launch my VSTs on a track with the X TOUCH and then in real time change the synths and plugs parameters so you can get real hands on controls and write them to automation.

Plus, it would be great to use the X TOUCH faders and B3 drawbars when cutting organ tracks.

Can this be done? Has any used the X TOUCH to control VSTs like this?

Thanks!
Yes, with my extension this is possible, see section 7.4 in the manual (https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...nke_manual.pdf).
Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 AM   #34
SEA

Quote:
Yes, with my extension this is possible, see section 7.4 in the manual (https://bitbucket.org/Klinkenstecker...nke_manual.pdf).
Thanks for hitting me back Klinke! Looking forward to setting up the X TOUCH when it arrives!

I'll let you and the forum know how it goes. Hopefully I can have it going 100% in a week or so.

BTW - Are the X Touch Scribble Colors working? I heard others saying they couldn't get the colors working.

Here's a link to a pic

https://www.google.com/search?q=X+TO...BtZTo3TCprM%3A

Thanks for all you do!

Jamie

Old 08-15-2016, 05:53 AM   #35
Klinke

Quote:
BTW - Are the X Touch Scribble Colors working? I heard others saying they couldn't get the colors working.
Yes, the colors are not working with the MCU extension. They are not part of the MCU protocol, and the protocol needed to support display colors is not a superset of the MCU protocol but completely different to the MCU protocol, so that it's really a lot of work to add support. I must say that in general I see the display solution as a weak point of the X Touch. On the MCU you have a single display with 55 chars, and sometimes I use it to display text that is not broken down for eight channel stripes (e.g. if you only touch a single fader while controlling plugin parameters, I use the complete display to give you a lot of information about this parameter).
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #36
SEA

Quote:
Yes, the colors are not working with the MCU extension. They are not part of the MCU protocol, and the protocol needed to support display colors is not a superset of the MCU protocol but completely different to the MCU protocol, so that it's really a lot of work to add support. I must say that in general I see the display solution as a weak point of the X Touch. On the MCU you have a single display with 55 chars, and sometimes I use it to display text that is not broken down for eight channel stripes (e.g. if you only touch a single fader while controlling plugin parameters, I use the complete display to give you a lot of information about this parameter).
Thanks Klinke for your support!

And what exactly do you mean by
Quote:
"I see the display solution as a weak point of the X Touch."
To me, as long as the info is there, the color's are not a bid deal (but would be nice to figure out one day)

Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #37
Klinke

Quote:
And what exactly do you mean by

To me, as long as the info is there, the color's are not a bid deal (but would be nice to figure out one day)
The inf##o will ##be the##re but ##someti##mes th##e text ##will l##ook li##ke this

(replace ## with the black parts between the displays)
Old 08-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #38
SEA

Quote:
The inf##o will ##be the##re but ##someti##mes th##e text ##will l##ook li##ke this

(replace ## with the black parts between the displays)
Oh! LOL! I gotcha!

Now do the rest of the bottons on the unit change color like your mutes, solo. etc., or is it just the scribble script that has issues with the colors?

Old 08-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #39
Klinke

Quote:
Now do the rest of the bottons on the unit change color like your mutes, solo. etc., or is it just the scribble script that has issues with the colors?
The original MCU doesn't have different colors for the button, so the MCU protocol support only the states: on, off and flash.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #40
SEA

Quote:
The original MCU doesn't have different colors for the button, so the MCU protocol support only the states: on, off and flash.
Here's a thought. Replace the scribble script display with tinted color covers (and buttons too). LOL