Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #41
Lawrence
Human being with feelings

Pyramix never shows up in that poll, I suppose because it's not a midi sequencer and the target audience has no real interest in things like that.

It has some really great features though.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #42
innuendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Working on it! Just need to find a sufficiently balanced corgi.
You made my day! Thanx :-P
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #43
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yeah. I got the gist of your original point amd wasn't so much disagreeing as pointing out that what you or I do with a daw may have no real parallel to somebody else does with the same product.

The idea that there is a literal " best " daw is one of the silliest notions in audio discssuions in general. That anyone gives those kinds of polls any legitimacy at all, instead of viewing them for what they are, entertainment, is a good case study in psychology.

But then again, I live in a country where 60% of a certain political party thinks the President is a secret Muslim and an illegal immagrant so .... ... illogical conclusions from we Yanks aren't exactly rare.
Yeah, and I heard a lot of people believed that Pres Jack Kennedy was sleeping with Marilyn Monroe! Oh, ... wait a minute! He was!

"... what you or I do with a daw may have no real parallel to somebody else does with the same product." Well, one can dream, Lawrence, but I just did the maths on that: there's 150 people worldwide right this minute who are doing exactly what you are with your DAWs (totally messing up what started off as a perfectly good tune).

But to your point: back when DAWs varied so much in features and build quality -- and there were far less good choices -- I think there MAY have been a 'best DAW'. Now, most are about the same: other than REAPER, most have too many bland plugins and silly features that most real musicians / producers who have any sense will avoid using. They are getting like Windows: comes with a tonne of bloatware, has 85 F'ing progs-services already running on startup, and does everything in the world for you ... except what you need it to do.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #44
Antebios

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
but I just did the maths on that: there's 150 people worldwide right this minute who are doing exactly what you are with your DAWs (totally messing up what started off as a perfectly good tune).
Just curious, but what did you mean by that comment?
Antebios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #45
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebios View Post
I'm pretty certain it means he's being Mr. Grumpypants, as he's been throughout this thread.

Maybe he's just having a bad week and needs a hug. Telenator, I'm sending you an e-hug right now so hopefully you can be nice to everybody again. *squeeeeze*

Please?
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #46
GreyBeard

Default No big deal

I play music semi-pro and do a little recording on the side. I was with 3 guys this week end who pretty much do the same thing as me and we all use different DAW's. I use Reaper, the sax player uses Protools, and the sound tech uses Logic. I use Reaper because I discovered in on the internet one night, downloaded it and liked it better than Audition which is what I had bought and was using. The Sax player uses protools because he bought it several years ago and has just stayed with it. He is so invested in it that he doesn't dare look at another DAW. The sound Tech uses Logic he says because of some of the plug'ins it has. The only other DAW's I've used other than Reaper have been Audition and Cubase 6. Audition was OK but didn't do enough with MIDI and never seemed to update. Cubase 6 was great when it worked but was really buggy on my equipment. Reaper has been rock solid from day one.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:13 AM   #47
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
Uh, it was a joke (obviously). Why the concern? I've known Lawrence for a long time. He is actually one of a handful of the few edit:very knowledgeable members of this forum.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #48
Antebios

Quote:
Uh, it was a joke (obviously). Why the concern? I've known Lawrence for a long time. He is actually one of a handful of the few edit:very knowledgeable members of this forum.
No concern, the comment just struck me as odd. I couldn't tell you were joking.

Antebios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #49
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
No concern, the comment just struck me as odd. I couldn't tell you were joking.

I'll admit, I tend to have a rather warped sense of humour, especially when I swing by the forum after too many hours doing studio work and it's got late -- brain somewhat fried by then. I'd likely make more sense if I'd been hours at a pub instead!
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #50
Daniovan

Hello,

did they forget to announce the winner or do they have to negotiate a price with Audacity at the moment for not announcing Reaper ?-!

IMHO, this award is more important than the 21st of July 1969...one small step for...?-!

Last edited by Daniovan; 10-01-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #51
Lawrence

Quote:
Uh, it was a joke (obviously). Why the concern? I've known Lawrence for a long time.
Yeah. I read that and thought... "That's just Tele being Tele." (his sense of humor is an acquired taste)

I'm trying to take the advice of my good friend Karbo and ignore the daw war silliness. It's hard because it's often grown ups acting like kids on the playground arguing over superhero toys.

And yet another PT bashing thread pops up where people feel the need to bash on PT Free, as if they actually need PT Free. No idea why people who own "da best daw eva" need to reinforce that idea every 5 minutes. As a group, Reaper users really are the most insecure group ever.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #52
Daniovan

IMHO, this award is more important than the 21st of July 1969...one small step for...?-!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:
No idea why people who own "da best daw eva" need to reinforce that idea every 5 minutes.
All good fun I guess. I remember the pre net days where you just took whatever you had and recorded music LOL. On the bashing/fanning it so reminds me of ball teams where we think our team is the best team even when we are on the losing streak of the century. I hate sports personally but I love listening to coworkers do this...

"We worked really hard for that score, we were prepared and drove that ball down the field and it all worked in our favor".

I'll often stop them with "what's this 'we' shit? You weren't at practice or on the field; you aren't actually on the team at all, you are just some schmuck watching it on TV".
Old 10-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #54
Lawrence

Pretty much.

It's why I like guys like Barry Sanders, Joe Dumars, Megatron, because they let their actions speak for them, they don't do a kiddie dance on every touchdown (or nice move in Dumars case), they just hand the ref the ball, business as usual. Can't recall Barry ever even spiking a football.

Guys who make a living with things like PT don't really brag about it, they just make their money and ignore most of it.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #55
Daniovan

Like most people I am influenced by media, advertising and polls, and I suppose that about 30-40% of the people who will witness the new winner will buy the winning daw, so will I ! Letīs say Sonar will win, so there is a reason why Sonar will have won ! simple as that. Now some clever guy might say, simply do not buy ! Okay, I could say, "No" I wonīt buy, but I will buy sooner or later - thatīs business ! and I am not married to a daw and a change is always the beginning of a new experience ! :-)

Last edited by Daniovan; 10-01-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #56
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniovan View Post
Like most people I am influenced by media, advertising and polls, and I suppose that about 30-40% of the people who will witness the new winner will buy the winning daw, so will I ! Letīs say Sonar will win, so there is a reason why Sonar will have won ! simple as that.
There's actually an element of truth in that. The results of the poll won't unduly influence most people who are in on the gag, but there will be many n00bs, drummers and the odd French horn player out there Binging away for whom results such as these enter their minds and form part of a demoing/purchasing decision.

On that basis I think voting for your personal DAW of choice, which for most of us here is apparently Reaper, is at the very least a nice thing to do for the devs.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #57
karbomusic

Quote:
There's actually an element of truth in that.
It would be more relevant if this poll weren't a tiny spec in a vast sea of the Internet but it is. I've never even heard of or visited that site until I saw a post here. And.... I regretted clicking the link only to find there are about 5 gazillion lines of JavaScript running in the background in order to serve up ads.

Meaning, that poll only exists to get you click through and get bombarded with advertising; it has no other purpose whatsoever and I highly doubt that in the grand scheme of things it sways the tide much at all, at least not measurably in any tangible fashion. It'll sway a few gullible people who don't realize how that game works, but that will get balanced out by some other ad driven buzz on some other similar site.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #58
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

"We worked really hard for that score, we were prepared and drove that ball down the field and it all worked in our favor".

I'll often stop them with "what's this 'we' shit? You weren't at practice or on the field; you aren't actually on the team at all, you are just some schmuck watching it on TV".
yep, in Germany there is this "THEY lost the game" and "WE won the game" when it comes to football (= soccer - for the americans, which dont know the correct terms for ballgames Klinsmann will teach you, I tell you.)

so the "we" in regards of Reaper is a little bit funny, as "we" didnt and dont make Reaper. we do the talking. but thats it.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #59
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
yep, in Germany there is this "THEY lost the game" and "WE won the game" when it comes to football (= soccer - for the americans, which dont know the correct terms for ballgames Klinsmann will teach you, I tell you.)

so the "we" in regards of Reaper is a little bit funny, as "we" didnt and dont make Reaper. we do the talking. but thats it.
Seinfeld makes a joke about this which I found to be a very American way of looking at it.

I'm in Scotland and I think the "we" is very appropriate. Say 10 years ago at the team I support, none of the current players were there, none of the current coaching staff and not even any of the owners/board of directors were there. The only thing that stays constant is the fans. So it really is the fans who are the club
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #60
manyserious

Perhaps this is cynical, but the question as always is, to what extent does Music Radar play the quid pro quo game with its advertisers? You buy this many full-page ads, you get "best DAW of 2015", a game I can never see the Cockos guys worrying much about. Propellerheads, Steinberg, etc. though -- yeah, they would, and, I think, do.

tl;dr: the poll is bullshit.
manyserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #61
snooks
Banned

Quote:
It would be more relevant if this poll weren't a tiny spec in a vast sea of the Internet but it is. I've never even heard of or visited that site until I saw a post here. And.... I regretted clicking the link only to find there are about 5 gazillion lines of JavaScript running in the background in order to serve up ads.

Meaning, that poll only exists to get you click through and get bombarded with advertising; it has no other purpose whatsoever and I highly doubt that in the grand scheme of things it sways the tide much at all, at least not measurably in any tangible fashion. It'll sway a few gullible people who don't realize how that game works, but that will get balanced out by some other ad driven buzz on some other similar site.
Well the site/magazine is owned by an LSE listed company so they like money.

I don't know if you're aware that Music Radar is the online presence of Computer Music Magazine which you can even buy in some of the biggest supermarkets in the UK. So Music Radar is a bit more than just another website.

Whether or not the benefits of exposure in this specific poll is measureable is debateable, but there's no doubt that overall positive exposure is a good thing for sales. So voting is still a nice thing to do for the devs.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #62
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyserious View Post
Perhaps this is cynical, but the question as always is, to what extent does Music Radar play the quid pro quo game with its advertisers? You buy this many full-page ads, you get "best DAW of 2015", a game I can never see the Cockos guys worrying much about. Propellerheads, Steinberg, etc. though -- yeah, they would, and, I think, do.

tl;dr: the poll is bullshit.
That's what I think when I read magazine reviews of anything really. They're less likely to write a scathing review of something when they rely on advertising money from the company who make it
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #63
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyserious View Post
If your theory is correct, then the people advertising the most should always "win" right? Do they? No idea, not worth trouble to look for me. It's more interesting to note, much like in politics, that people can always find rationalization to support whatever they already believe.

If what they beleive "wins", everything is good and correct. If not, there's something suspicious going on. Like if DAW X wins an industry award it's something they paid for but if what we like wins, we just deserve it.

Question: Do they actually even publish the total number of people voting in these things? Like Karbo said, it surely amounts to a tiny grain of sand against the number who don't.

I'd hazard a guess that over 50% of the voters never made a penny using any of them and like I expressed before, probably over 20% have not actually purchased any of them, are using cracks.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #64
dea-man

Yes, confirmation bias definitely comes into play.

Most people only really know, and root for, the DAW that they already own and with which they most work.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #65
karbomusic

Quote:
So voting is still a nice thing to do for the devs.
I just tell them directly. Thanks Devs! More seriously, no problem if someone votes there, I just don't see much relevance to anything beyond those who did the voting and an occasional passerby.

Quote:
Whether or not the benefits of exposure in this specific poll is measureable is debateable
Anything is debatable but there have only been about 50 of these thread posted here since I've been a member. They all go exactly the same then fade into history. The main point is as Lawrence always points out, it's a popularity contest between those who participate, the rest of the world sort of doesn't care.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-01-2015 at 10:56 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #66
karbomusic

Quote:
No idea, not worth trouble to look for me.
Spent a few years in the advertising industry of sorts (I designed some kiosks and software that showed interactive ads in hotels and started a company off of it selling ads to go on them). A very huge amount of it is your buying an ad so the other sucker that bought one doesn't get a leg up.

As an ad buyer, even if I could provide precise metrics that showed some type of advert wasn't giving me a good ROI, I may very well keep it there if my competition is running one whether I actually win or not because I'm trying to build some long-term top of mind presence that may have nothing to do with a direct purchase due to that ad. Much of that cash is wasted IMHO.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #67
snooks
Banned

Quote:
I just tell them directly. Thanks Devs! More seriously, no problem if someone votes there, I just don't see much relevance to anything beyond those who did the voting and an occasional passerby.

Anything is debatable but there have only been about 50 of these thread posted here since I've been a member. They all go exactly the same then fade into history.
I agree to an extent, the Music Radar poll is like the Smash Hits Awards or any other similarly vacuous and necessarily temporary human endeavours. The rest of the world doesn't care about those either. It doesn't stop the repeated exposure being potentially good for sales, reductio ad indignum notwithstanding.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #68
Daniovan

Default Winner is FL Studio, Reaper 5th place

Hello,

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/te...d-today-238905

Motu, only 14 th place ? I īd say 5th place is nice, isnīt it, canīt say anything about the winner, because I do not know anyone who uses FL Studio ! I suppose, DJīs have taken the helm...?

Last edited by Daniovan; 11-02-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #69
Lawrence

Quote:
Spent a few years in the advertising industry of sorts (I designed some kiosks and software that showed interactive ads in hotels and started a company off of it selling ads to go on them). A very huge amount of it is your buying an ad so the other sucker that bought one doesn't get a leg up.

As an ad buyer, even if I could provide precise metrics that showed some type of advert wasn't giving me a good ROI, I may very well keep it there if my competition is running one whether I actually win or not because I'm trying to build some long-term top of mind presence that may have nothing to do with a direct purchase due to that ad. Much of that cash is wasted IMHO.
Makes sense.

I chuckled when I saw Nuendo way down that list. My first thought was... "I wonder how many people (until somebody cracks it) responding to that poll have actually even used the latest version of Nuendo or even know much about it?".

It's not exactly cheap.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #70
Daniovan

Hello,

anyone any experience with FL Studio ?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #71
LightOfDay
Banned

you should ask that in a FL-forum. here is Reaper.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #72
Daniovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
you should ask that in a FL-forum. here is Reaper.
funny answer, because if people read "PRO TOOLS" in this Forum (and PT is a Topic here very often!), it always gets a lot of posts and views ! No one saying "you should ask in AVID forum

This thread here is a bout the best daw in 2015 - and the winner is FL STUDIO, isnīt it ?-!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #73
Junke

FL is built around a step sequencer. PDC works well, it has a nice modulation system and automation clips.
Itīs great for elctronic music, very fast workflow for trying sounds and patterns. The piano roll is probably the best if you enter your notes with a mouse. Syncs to midi clock.

I would not even consider it a real DAW; recording, mixing and editing lacks a lot of features you would find in any of the apps in that top 20 list (maybe except Ableton Live). And the interface just doesnīt work well for the bread& butter jobs iīd know from studio work. Itīs more like an electronic music instrument.
Junke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #74
Mind Riot

Whoooo! We're number...five!!!
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote