Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
novaburst
Human being with feelings

Default Is alliance the way forword for manufacturers today

Well this is interesting news Harrison and Stienberg and oh theres Yamaha too

http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2015/20150925.html
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Xenakios

Yamaha has already owned Steinberg for an eternity measured in computer software time, so that's nothing new. Harrison being the new partner raises interesting questions about what might now happen to Harrison Mixbuss, as it's based on competing and open source technology taken from Ardour, which doesn't seem like a thing Steinberg and Yamaha would likely enjoy to be involved with.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Lawrence

You could see this happening from a year ago. It's about Nuendo and film sound... doubt if it has anything to do with MixBus...
Quote:
Harrison and Steinberg Demonstrate Automation Exchange at Sony Pictures
October 10th, 2014

Harrison Consoles and Steinberg have jointly developed a new technology that allows large-format mixing consoles to transfer automation data between a Harrison console and Steinberg’s Nuendo DAW seamlessly. Harrison and Steinberg demonstrated this amazing new workflow for the first time at the William Holden Theater at Sony Pictures.

Film mixers and sound designers from major studios in Hollywood attended the demonstration at Sony Pictures. Representatives from Harrison and Steinberg demonstrated how automation data is preserved when transitioning from a Harrison pre-mix to editing in Nuendo and back again. This enables workflows that utilize the strengths of each platform. No other DAW or console manufacturer provides this flexibility.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
You could see this happening from a year ago. It's about Nuendo and film sound... doubt if it has anything to do with MixBus...
May be filming is the case in this alliance but would it not be a welcome thought to have cubase to take over the midi department in mixbus3, it may start out with just filming but its a welcome thought

To have maybe the the best midi developing software company in the world inputting in you software. OK OK may the best in the world was a bit to far but you know what I mean
Old 10-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
take over the midi department in mixbus3
Hahah, the best that this alliance will have to offer for Mixbus is for Harrison to not have to kill it as a product.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Lawrence

Right.

Daw users (well, daw users who like net forums) have blinders on and tend to think everything is always about them and products they buy. Not really. The alliance is most likely not about consumer beat makers or $70 daws that are but a tiny pimple on the ass of a company like Harrison who makes hugely expensive consoles, it's about these guys...

Old 10-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
sostenuto

Strategic alliances was the hot topic at Harvard Business School back in mid 1980s. Tom McCraw was their highly published star. Whether governments, industries, corporations, the concept has persisted.
Always a struggle to try to see the bigger picture when locked into daily grind.

@ Lawrence Thanks for the reality pic ....
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #8
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Right.

Daw users (well, daw users who like net forums) have blinders on and tend to think everything is always about them and products they buy. Not really. The alliance is most likely not about consumer beat makers or $70 daws that are but a tiny pimple on the ass of a company like Harrison who makes hugely expensive consoles, it's about these guys...

Hay hay you don't need to put a dent in my dreams guys.

What I do know is that all Harrison consoles can operate mixbus and Harrison are implementing all there console plugins into mixbus and they are of super qualify. So please let me dream on

I think the Daw is a major part of Harrison and not just the butt
Old 10-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Thanks for the reality pic ....
It came from the Harrison web site.

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mpc5.html

Like they say (no price list)... "If you have to ask how much it costs you probably can't afford it."
Old 10-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
ivansc

My kid brother used to work for them back in the early days - the desk they built for Disney for Black Hole being the last one he worked on. Incredible stuff.
Mike himself has been gone a while but it would be a shame to see his legacy not survive.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Lawrence

Yeah. The first paragrah in the press release says exactly what it's all about...

Quote:
...to develop solutions for substantially improving the work flow in the sound for film industry.
We aren't, by and large, the sound for film industry, and I doubt if many (if any) people in that industry are using MixBus as their editor of choice. This is a smart move for both Harrison and YammyBerg because their interests aren't competing anywhere, YammyBerg doesn't make film consoles and Harrison doesn't make a high level post workstation like Nuendo.

Win / win.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
novaburst

Well remember Nuendo software is all about Movies, and also Yamaha make there own consoles,

Also Harrison are not to shabby with software workstation, and plugins,

Stienberg also make consoles,
Old 10-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Lawrence

Yammy doesn't make film consoles (afaik anyway). If they did they probably wouldn't be creating new tech with Harrison that makes the Harrison consoles more attractive, they'd just do it for their own consoles.

A lot of these hardware companies like Yammy, Harrison, Avid, etc, etc, operate across multiple markets and demographics and some things they do have nothing at all to do with the larger consumer daw market.

Honestly, as nice as MixBus is for mixing, I think it's more for branding than anything else. You would proably rarely even see that companies name on typical daw forums if not for MixBus, even though they make lots of other great stuff, so, it's working. When's the last time (if ever) you saw people on daw forums like this talking about a Harrison (hardware) channel strip or something?

All of the other hardware companies were in the larger consumer net conversation (even SSL) and now Harrison is also.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-04-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
novaburst

Ha ha you right about Harrison not being mentioned on the common Daw from, but I here a lot about mixbuss being a secret weapon for many common Daw users, and I'm not sure if people are willing to mention mixbuss as there choice of Daw.

After all people want ignore a great sound.