Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #2281
dea-man
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figas View Post
Yep, since you are around, I'm charging again
Since I owe you mostly everything I've learned, I believe it's at least fair enough that I share the result of your teachments:

https://soundcloud.com/daysofjuly

I hope the comunity enjoys. After all, this IS home recording: $120 worth Mackie interface, older-than-me beaten-up Squier strat, a fine enough bass and drum pluggin. All of this endorsed by WDYRSLA.

PS: oh, i forgot: $80 or so AKG perception 100 mic.
Yeah, baby! That opening is fuckin' radical! Very nice. Well done. Good job!

And I haven't even gotten to the chorus, yet.

Nice orgasm of sound! Who is the singer? Is this you, or your band, or what?

OK, nice bridge section, brings everything down for a moment. Good. great feel. Sounds like summer, with the top down.

Interesting and unusual ending. I repeat, well done. Good job!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #2282
morgon

Dea! Settle down. We dont even know her age. Great song btw.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #2283
Figas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Yeah, baby! That opening is fuckin' radical! Very nice. Well done. Good job!

And I haven't even gotten to the chorus, yet.

Nice orgasm of sound! Who is the singer? Is this you, or your band, or what?

OK, nice bridge section, brings everything down for a moment. Good. great feel. Sounds like summer, with the top down.

Interesting and unusual ending. I repeat, well done. Good job!
Thanks for the feedback! No, I'm a guy, and I'm actually the bassplayer, as well as the producer of the demo. And she's only 19 years old. Pretty much an unlapidated diamond!
Figas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #2284
AfterlifE

What method did you use for recording the bass?
AfterlifE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #2285
kindafishy

Quote:
Yep, since you are around, I'm charging again
Since I owe you mostly everything I've learned, I believe it's at least fair enough that I share the result of your teachments:

https://soundcloud.com/daysofjuly

I hope the comunity enjoys. After all, this IS home recording: $120 worth Mackie interface, older-than-me beaten-up Squier strat, a fine enough bass and drum pluggin. All of this endorsed by WDYRSLA.

PS: oh, i forgot: $80 or so AKG perception 100 mic.
You should post in the collab section. Good place to get feedback, I think.

I'm hoping these aren't your first three mixes because if they are, I hate you and I'm never going to post another song again.

The noodly guitar on the right and the melodic guitar on the left got ever so slightly repetitive from an arrangement standpoint by the third song, so I hope to hear you mix it up some in the future (assuming you keep posting, which I hope you do). Once too many times to the well, so to speak. My apologies for offering an unsolicited constructive crit, but I can hear a lot of talent there, so I figured what the hell...

Besides, I hate you.

I was picking up the same vibes that deaman was picking up 'She'. Nicely done intro there. Love the bass on that tune by the way. You get into a very good groove. Yeah, I can say the same about the whole track actually. It has legs.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #2286
dea-man

Yes, what are the details on that bass?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #2287
karbomusic

Quote:
You can get something similar using BOD.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #2288
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Roger, that.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #2289
morgon

^^^^^+1
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #2290
Figas

Quote:
Again, thanks for the feedback!

It's a Korean-made Tobias 5 stringer, connected directly to my interface. All sound colouring are plugins: compression, some basic eq (acordingly to Mr Yep's teachments), two Mokafix Audio VSt pedals (unfortunatly a now extinct brand :\ ) and Ampeg VST plugin.

And no, these aren't my first 3 mixes But I've only been doing this for a year or so, and first time voice recordings (quite challenging I might say, because I found studio reverb to be the trickiest f***** to use wisely)
Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #2291
Figas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
The noodly guitar on the right and the melodic guitar on the left got ever so slightly repetitive from an arrangement standpoint by the third song, so I hope to hear you mix it up some in the future (assuming you keep posting, which I hope you do). Once too many times to the well, so to speak. My apologies for offering an unsolicited constructive crit, but I can hear a lot of talent there, so I figured what the hell...
Please, be my guest Constructive criticism is mostly always welcome.

I understand your point. That's probably my major flaw, since I've created and played most of the guitar parts from these songs, and I'm not nor ever been originaly a guitar player (I've been doing it for a year or so, like producing).
Things can get pretty difficult translating from bass to guitar (danm toy-strings and miniature freatboard...)
The good part is that I can rely from now on in my two guitar players, which have to great things:

1 - Awesome individual guitar playing
2 - Awesome playing together!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #2292
Skriptel

am new to this site and it's so lol reading all these random posts haha
Skriptel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #2293
Jorgen

Quote:
Forgot about that one. Pretty good, iirc.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #2294
Timothy Lawler

Quote:
This is fantastic. Great performance on the vocal and guitar parts. Figas, you have a magic touch for arranging and mixing.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #2295
Figas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
This is fantastic. Great performance on the vocal and guitar parts. Figas, you have a magic touch for arranging and mixing.
Wow... thank YOU sir! I'm speechless..
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #2296
AfterlifE

Quote:
Please, be my guest Constructive criticism is mostly always welcome.

I understand your point. That's probably my major flaw, since I've created and played most of the guitar parts from these songs, and I'm not nor ever been originaly a guitar player (I've been doing it for a year or so, like producing).
Things can get pretty difficult translating from bass to guitar (danm toy-strings and miniature freatboard...)
The good part is that I can rely from now on in my two guitar players, which have to great things:

1 - Awesome individual guitar playing
2 - Awesome playing together!!
I plug directly into my interface as well but I can't get rid of that damn echo when I turn on input monitoring.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #2297
Figas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterlifE View Post
I plug directly into my interface as well but I can't get rid of that damn echo when I turn on input monitoring.
My Mackie features direct monitoring, so I can hear whatever I record directly, without going to the DAW. Awesome with bass, not so awesome with guitars since I can't listen any plugins I use.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #2298
karbomusic

Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish? If you just need to monitor the incoming raw signal, don't use input monitoring in reaper, turn that off. That's why you hear the echo, its impossible for the direct signal from the interface and the monitoring signal that travels through reaper to arrive at the same time. Even at the lowest latencies you'll get a tiny echo or phase issues.

If you are using an amp sim, do the opposite, turn off the monitoring of the interface, and use input monitoring in Reaper but never both at the same time.

As far as direct monitoring (the technology not the verb) that is just the ability for the DAW to operate the interface directly from within the DAW. Its a convenience more than anything. Not that its not great to have (Reaper doesn't send DM data to the interface btw) but its not needed at all in order to properly monitor the incoming signal. You just have to open the interface control panel and do it manually.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-27-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #2299
karbomusic

Quote:
My Mackie features direct monitoring, so I can hear whatever I record directly, without going to the DAW. Awesome with bass, not so awesome with guitars since I can't listen any plugins I use.
AFAIK, most any modern interface allows (or shall I say should allow) monitoring of the incoming signal directly from the interface. My very first interface from the late 90s even allowed it. If you want to hear plugins as you record such as an amp sim, then see my other post where you would disable monitoring on the interface and enable it in Reaper. Of course you'll need the latency as low as you can get it or you won't be able to play along due to the delay.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #2300
AfterlifE

Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish? If you just need to monitor the incoming raw signal, don't use input monitoring in reaper, turn that off. That's why you hear the echo, its impossible for the direct signal from the interface and the monitoring signal that travels through reaper to arrive at the same time. Even at the lowest latencies you'll get a tiny echo or phase issues.

If you are using an amp sim, do the opposite, turn off the monitoring of the interface, and use input monitoring in Reaper but never both at the same time.

As far as direct monitoring (the technology not the verb) that is just the ability for the DAW to operate the interface directly from within the DAW. Its a convenience more than anything. Not that its not great to have (Reaper doesn't send DM data to the interface btw) but its not needed at all in order to properly monitor the incoming signal. You just have to open the interface control panel and do it manually.
Thanks for the info, I've been trying to get past this problem, I like to be able to hear how much chorus, or EQ etc is in the signal path. Do you set the effects plugins where you like then turn off input monitoring before recording?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #2301
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I've been trying to get past this problem, I like to be able to hear how much chorus, or EQ etc is in the signal path. Do you set the effects plugins where you like then turn off input monitoring before recording?
Depends on what you want. If you just want to drop EQ/Chorus on the guitar track for example just so you can hear it while playing/recording, turn monitoring off on your interface and on in Reaper and record arm the track. However, this doesn't get applied to the actual wav file that gets recorded so you don't have to do it then unless its for your listening pleasure or inspiration while playing.

If you want to "burn" in the chorus/eq as you are recording, you'll want to use an option on the track called "InputFX" using this DOES burn what you hear to the WAV file as it is being recorded. If using an amp sim, record arm/monitor in reaper only and set your interface buffer settings as low as you can get them.

I typically always use the interfaces monitoring, no monitoring in reaper which means totally dry and no echo. After I lay the track I add FX. It really depends on what you are using, are you using amp sims or micing an amp?

The easy rule is:

1. If you need to hear a VST, Amp Sim while playing... interface off, reaper monitoring on.
2. If you are micing an external source, playing an external synth, singing etc. and don't need any extra fx in Reaper while recording... Reaper monitoring off, interface monitoring on.

With an amp sim you really don't have a choice. Since it is processed in reaper, you have to monitor through reaper. Which falls under #1 above, set your latency low, monitor through reaper, turn the interface monitor off.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2302
Figas

Quote:
AFAIK, most any modern interface allows (or shall I say should allow) monitoring of the incoming signal directly from the interface. My very first interface from the late 90s even allowed it. If you want to hear plugins as you record such as an amp sim, then see my other post where you would disable monitoring on the interface and enable it in Reaper. Of course you'll need the latency as low as you can get it or you won't be able to play along due to the delay.
Exactly, that's what I do. I always record hearing the dry signal only, and afterwards hear how it results processed. It's not that much of a problem, except that it might eventualy take some expression off of your perfomance.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #2303
dea-man

You can hear your effects without printing them by listening to and recording the input, whilst recording. This records the "dry" sound, for latter processing with FX.

You can print your effects whilst recording, by Recording the output. The sound with FX is recorded and cannot be undone, but can be processed additionally, later.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #2304
AfterlifE

Quote:
Depends on what you want. If you just want to drop EQ/Chorus on the guitar track for example just so you can hear it while playing/recording, turn monitoring off on your interface and on in Reaper and record arm the track. However, this doesn't get applied to the actual wav file that gets recorded so you don't have to do it then unless its for your listening pleasure or inspiration while playing.

If you want to "burn" in the chorus/eq as you are recording, you'll want to use an option on the track called "InputFX" using this DOES burn what you hear to the WAV file as it is being recorded. If using an amp sim, record arm/monitor in reaper only and set your interface buffer settings as low as you can get them.

I typically always use the interfaces monitoring, no monitoring in reaper which means totally dry and no echo. After I lay the track I add FX. It really depends on what you are using, are you using amp sims or micing an amp?

The easy rule is:

1. If you need to hear a VST, Amp Sim while playing... interface off, reaper monitoring on.
2. If you are micing an external source, playing an external synth, singing etc. and don't need any extra fx in Reaper while recording... Reaper monitoring off, interface monitoring on.

With an amp sim you really don't have a choice. Since it is processed in reaper, you have to monitor through reaper. Which falls under #1 above, set your latency low, monitor through reaper, turn the interface monitor off.
I use a tube preamp for recording, it's not a interface with monitoring, that goes into an Alesis USB board then into Reaper. I need to get a decent interface.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #2305
karbomusic

Quote:
I use a tube preamp for recording, it's not a interface with monitoring, that goes into an Alesis USB board then into Reaper. I need to get a decent interface.
Then the Alesis USB board would technically be the interface no? What model is it?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #2306
AfterlifE

Quote:
Then the Alesis USB board would technically be the interface no? What model is it?
Multimix 8 USB, not many features.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #2307
karbomusic

Quote:
Multimix 8 USB, not many features.
Ah, OK I see. I took a quick look at the manual and the Multimix hardware (in this case) IS the software control panel, I think anyway. What this means is I think you might be able achieve the same via physical routing tricks on the device itself but I do see how that might very well be a PIA.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #2308
AfterlifE

Quote:
Ah, OK I see. I took a quick look at the manual and the Multimix hardware (in this case) IS the software control panel, I think anyway. What this means is I think you might be able achieve the same via physical routing tricks on the device itself but I do see how that might very well be a PIA.
I have the CD/software on hand but I haven't tried installing it because I have windows 8 and the disk says windows XP/2000 LOL.. the disk also has Cubase LE on it.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #2309
matey

congrats, Figas
I love anything that bring some original guitar ensemble on the scene, and you guys rock with a very well designed arrangement BEFORE to track anything.

one fine example of what you can get with just a guitar, a bass, a drumset, and a good vocal on a track

bravo
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #2310
keyman88

Default First time poster.

First of all, thanks to YEP. I have been recording at home for a few years now. I take my time with recording and always feel like I am being very careful with the decisions I make.

That said, I am mixing through a crappy bookshelf stereo system, I only used a mxl990 and 991 for my 2008 CD, hourglass. Direct keyboards, and a small fender amp recording a squire and a takamine artist series acoustic. I found many of my electric guitar tones, by taking what I thought was going to be an acoustic guitar single note solo, and adding amp sims to it for an electric sound.

YEP and others, I would be really interested to get any of your opinions on my balance of instrumentation. I think I may be a culprit of adding too much high freq content above 12k.

This song is called "wax soldier' verse one is about the U.S. soldier. Verse two is about the president who sent these kids to war.

My usual style of music is Floyd meets Dead.

https://soundcloud.com/keymanewb/wax...bell-hourglass

Last edited by keyman88; 02-28-2013 at 03:10 PM.
keyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #2311
Timothy Lawler

Default Just a thought

It would be great to keep this thread on topic - yep's thoughts on music recording production.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #2312
keyman88

Sorry Tim, am I out of line to ask for someone's opinions on my track? Hope I am not the one taking the thread off topic...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #2313
Timothy Lawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman88 View Post
Sorry Tim, am I out of line to ask for someone's opinions on my track? Hope I am not the one taking the thread off topic...
Maybe post the tune in the Reaper Music/Collaboration Discussion forum (5th from the bottom on the main page). That's where people generally post their music.

But music's been posted in this thread already, so I don't think you're out of line to do so as well. I just hope future music posts go in the above mentioned forum to keep this thread on track. Thinking about it, I guess I was responding more to the many extended sideline arguments (sample rates, bass players, etc) that would have been, IMO, better if put in their own threads.

edit: BTW Keyman, your link needs to have the # before keymanewb removed for it to work.

Last edited by Timothy Lawler; 02-28-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Timothy Lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #2314
keyman88

Thanks Tim, I corrected it and was just rethinking my approach to this now 4 year old recording that I actually did release because I think I was adding too much content above 12k. What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/keymanewb/wax...bell-hourglass

Last edited by keyman88; 02-28-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #2315
keyman88

Wow. Didn't mean to kill off this thread. Looks like I got to the party late. I read the whole thread, and was just hoping to get someones opinion on my recordings.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #2316
kindafishy

Quote:
Wow. Didn't mean to kill off this thread. Looks like I got to the party late. I read the whole thread, and was just hoping to get someones opinion on my recordings.
Hey keyman88, there is a whole sub forum dedicated to posting your music and collaborating. Try posting there.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #2317
keyman88

I don't want to collaborate. I read this whole thread and thought I may have made some mistakes on my last album, I was hoping to get one of you guys to tell me if I left in too much high freq content. that is all. Not sure why everyone else gets to post songs here and get great feedback. Never mind.

Thanks Yep for the knowledge!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #2318
Smurf

Quote:
Not sure why everyone else gets to post songs here and get great feedback.
It is the way of the net.....
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #2319
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Hey keyman88, there is a whole sub forum dedicated to posting your music and collaborating. Try posting there.
Quote:
I don't want to collaborate. I read this whole thread and thought I may have made some mistakes on my last album, I was hoping to get one of you guys to tell me if I left in too much high freq content. that is all. Not sure why everyone else gets to post songs here and get great feedback. Never mind.

Thanks Yep for the knowledge!
That forum is very much for posting your music and asking for mix feedback. Check out some of the songs there. There is a lot of great REAPER music posted there. It's actually very light on the collabs and very heavy on the individual posting. I just mentioned that because it is in the forum title.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #2320
gxulien

Default what cables would you suggest other than Monster

my Monsters have held up well, and my radio shack cables die an early death, due to inadequate stiff rubber material near the plug. Feeling guilty and need some shorter cables for my cofee table recording setup. Any suggestions? Unable to find the private message utility so don't know if you will see this.
gxulien is offline   Reply With Quote