Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
insub
Human being with feelings

Default Gluing: file bit rate and sample frequency

Hi, I'm new to Reaper. Long time Cubase user (since SX2). Anyway...

I am trying to glue items together, that while recorded in one take somehow got split into separate files. Must have been some kind of marker or region or something that I inadvertently set. That's a different topic I guess. They were recorded at 48kHz 24bit on another machine using a MOTU interface. But I only have time to edit and mix while I'm traveling. When I glue the items (using laptop integrated sound card w/ASIO4ALL...I know get an interface.) the output file will only be 44.1/16bit.

The project setting is 48kHz 24bit. I'm using a Win7 64 laptop. I'm guessing it's a limitation of the sound card, but what I don't get is why. I thought that the internal processing was done by the CPU at 64bits. Why am I being limited by the SC for Gluing?

I have a CME Xcorpio I on back-order, but if it's not necessary then I'll cancel it (or maybe not, it's really cheap). I travel a lot by car or plane for work so I needed it to be small and lightweight. Input/output weren't really a factor since I won't actually record anything with it. I chose this because it was cheap, looks small, has its own ASIO driver, and is capable of 192kHz 24bit.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
witti

Open the project settings and go to the tab 'Media'. There you can set the format for glueing. I would recommend to go through all the tabs to configure your project and then save it as a project template. Then choose it as a startup project. Setting your startup project can be done in the prefs under 'Project'. There are a bunch of other settings which can be saved within a project. But they are widely spread across different submenus. (Options menu, right click transport bar menu, mixer menu, right click toolbar icons menu, etc. .)
witti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
insub

Thank you Witti!

I will look into this.

I personally find all the settings and customization of Reaper to be quite daunting. But, I decided to start using it because I want to do take/lane recording for comping which is not capable in Cubase 7 Elements. I was always able to do it in SX2, but it requires a dongle which I can't always remember to pack home with me after band practice. Our practice space is 30 miles from my house, so not very convenient to make a trip over there to get it. Also, time stretch is disabled in Elements.

I honestly had expected the glue Media settings to automatically match the project setting.

I have created a project template, so I will re-save it after this adjustment. But I have had some trouble porting other settings from one PC to the other (laptop and band PC). I had exported the preferences and imported them on the other PC, but not all settings seem to go over.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
insub

That seems to have done the trick. Apparently my audio clock sync had gotten screwed up when I recorded it, and it was originally recorded at 44.1kHz 24bit.

I normally always record at 48kHz/24bit. My interface has to be synchronized with my Virus keyboard since I'm using the SPDIF digital outputs to record from it. The keyboard's clock and local control settings go wonky every time I connect the USB because it wants to run in TI mode with it's VSTi. But I don't usually use it that way. I'd just like to record the MIDI notes while I play. I think I'm just going to MIDI cable it directly to the 828 instead of using the USB.

Do you think it's better to use 32 FP even though my recording interface is only capable of 24 bit?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
witti

For recordings just use 24 bit. For stem rendering/glueing,etc. use 32 bit FP.
At least this is what i'm doing. Just to be on the safe side. When rendering a project to disk i mostly choose a different setting/format.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
insub

Thanks.

I'll probably be stemming it to port back to Cubase to take advantage of the bundled effects.

I've never done this before. I always just worked in Cubase, but I can't afford the full version. And, I don't want to deal with a dongle anymore. I certainly am not going to pay for two seats of the full version. I like Cockos's business strategy much better. I have Adobe's Creative Suite which is like $3000 and they will allow you two installs with no dongle.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
witti

$3000 ? I hope you have still some money left to buy reaper (and some food) !
Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
insub

Got that a long time ago. And academic version at that. It was like $800, but the regular version was $3k. Yeah, too bad I never did enough work with it to recoup my investment.

Already got a Reaper license. Hell, I've paid as much or more for video games. I don't suppose I'll ever recoup the money I've invested in music equipment besides the joy of making music. That's enough for me.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
witti

Yeah, joy is the most important thing. Spent quite a few thousand euros in hardware equipment, but i doubt that i will ever invest that much money in software. One daw (reaper) and one or two software amps + a couple of freeware plugins is all that i need. Reduced the amount of plugins i'm using drastically. Well, that's only true for vst plugin. The amount of js plugins i'm using is growing and growing...