Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default POD farm (off bundle) and third party interface

Maybe I should google harder, but I've scanned the web for answers and couldn't find anything conclusive. Apparently 2.5 update for POD farm got rid of hardware dependence and shouldn't need a Line6 hardware to work anymore.

Is it true for a copy that I bought (and updated to 2.5) bundled with Line 6 interface? I'm thinking about buying a tad better interface and I wonder if I'll be forced to leave the old one connected to use the 'farm. I'm not a fan of having redundant stuff in the system. Would be brilliant if that annoying license manager thingie would do its job without having surplus USB cables sticking out of my PC.

Also, how the instrument ins work in non guitar specific (L6) interfaces? Say, I want to buy a Scarlett 2i2 and someone wrote here I'd need an additional DI to be able to use electric guitar, which sorta sounds like nonsense to me. I have passive guitars and a bass with a preamp, if it makes any difference.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
bluzkat

No, you shouldn't need a DI for your guitar if you are using an audio interface (like the Scarlett).

And yes PodFarm was changed so it is no longer dependent on Line 6 hardware. My UX2 has been sitting collecting dust for a while.

Enjoy.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
And yes PodFarm was changed so it is no longer dependent on Line 6 hardware. My UX2 has been sitting collecting dust for a while.
That's great news!

The clipping thing worries me a bit (common problem in googles), Scarlett seems to be the best interface for reasonable money stores nearby carry, I'll ask if I can return if it hopelessly clips. No way I'm buying another box just to plug in a guitar.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
zeekat

Okay, I have it. So

- looks like POD farm isn't authorized without POD GX plugged in. My bought separately model pack is, but without authorized POD farm it isn't every useful. Any ideas if I can authorize it without GX connected?

- well, turns out Scarlett is tad over-sensitive on instrument inputs indeed. Digging in strings overdrives input even with gain knob set to minimum (on "instrument" setting - doesn't happen on "line" setting but I shouldn't use it for guitar should I). Granted, I have to play pretty hard, but it's likely to happen when tracking some heavier palm muted chugs. I use mid to high output pickups (Tesla Plasma X-1 in one guitar and Merlin Legends alnico/ceramic in the other), this interface must be unusable for someone with Duncan invader or something alike. I can work it around by rolling off the volume on guitar but I'm used to leaving it on 11 because it's impossible to clip the input of POD GX.

Dude in the store said I can return the interface because clipping on instruments input shouldn't happen and they'll consider it faulty. Damn, I'm not sure. It's a cool unit, ASIO latency is way better than in L6 drivers, I like the front panel headphone socket and all the blinkenlights, plus I might use the stereo line ins some day. Should I learn to use volume knob on guitar and keep it? Decisions, decisions.

(supplementing it with DI box is out of the question)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
bluzkat

Do you have the most recent version of PodFarm (and the Line6 'monkey' software)? If not... get it from the Line 6 website.

Maybe see what kind of info you can dig up on using PodFarm without the Line6 hardware on their website. Its been quite awhile and I can't remember the details.

But I will tell you PodFarm works for me without having to use their hardware.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
hwhalen

The basic answer is...

If you paid for PodFarm it will work without an interface.
If it came bundled with a Line 6 interface it will not.
It must be authorized to a device.
In the case of no interface, that means the computer is the device.

I have two PodFarm II licences, one that came with my UX8 and another that I upgraded from PodFarm I.

The UX8 one doesn't work without the UX8, the other one does.

My experience YMMV.
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

Yeah, I still have to keep my UX1 plugged in as well. You could go buy the standalone license...

On the other thing you mentioned: You probably won't want to plug the guitar directly into the line input, but if you buffer it first, it will work fine, and is actually my preferred way to go because of that exact same headroom issue that you mentioned. If you have any "big name" guitar pedals - Boss, most Digitech, pretty much anything that doesn't say "True Bypass" on it - you can put that between the guitar and the line input, powered but not on. You might need to add a little gain once you get in the box (use the input control on the PodFarm plugin itself, or JS Volume, or whatever) but that'll be clean, noiseless gain and you won't have the distortion from the interface to worry about.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #8
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
On the other thing you mentioned: You probably won't want to plug the guitar directly into the line input, but if you buffer it first, it will work fine, and is actually my preferred way to go because of that exact same headroom issue that you mentioned. If you have any "big name" guitar pedals - Boss, most Digitech, pretty much anything that doesn't say "True Bypass" on it - you can put that between the guitar and the line input, powered but not on. You might need to add a little gain once you get in the box (use the input control on the PodFarm plugin itself, or JS Volume, or whatever) but that'll be clean, noiseless gain and you won't have the distortion from the interface to worry about.
I could run the guitar through my POD 2.0 but that would be missing the point - I'm buying compact and simple audio interface to keep stuff compact and simple by recording direct, not daisychain devices. I'm returning the Scarlett to the store - further reading of the internets told me the headroom for electric guitar (input impedance?) is below average in this thing.

I should be well versed in Googling by now, yet I got blinded by all the enthusiastic reviews and missed nuggets of some proper, important info. Even dude from Focusrite shows on the forums and admits quietly the instrument headroom in 2i2 blows. I'm a sucker :>

I thought POD GX was kinda meh, but now I really appreciate how well it works for guitar while costing next to nothing. If only their ASIO drivers were a bit snappier.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
bluzkat

zeekat,

I've been using a NI Komplete Audio 6 for recording guitar and whatever else I need, it works great. See here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6/.

I guess you would still have to upgrade your PodFarm license to get rid of the 'dongle'.

Enjoy.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
zeekat,

I've been using a NI Komplete Audio 6 for recording guitar and whatever else I need, it works great. See here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KompAudio6/.
A bit expensive and over-featured for me (with MIDI sockets and all the inputs). Altough it looks awesome - doesn't have problems with headroom for humbuckered guitar? Is the bundled stuff usable or is it just a bunch of demo grade shovelware?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
bluzkat

If I remember correctly, included software included Cubase LE and NI Elements, plus a $30 voucher for use in the NI store.

Its a solid, very well built interface, with good drivers.