Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
ertugrulgul
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper's biggest deficiencies

1- There is no post fader fx Slot
2- There should be a knob for pre fx volume
3- You can't set default track height in mcp

Developers I'm begging you for add this three features to next release!
ertugrulgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Those are decent requests. I'd wholeheartedly support this. Perhaps you can make a feature request for them.

There is a workaround for number 3. You can set a project up with the track heights as you want and save it as a default project template that loads when you start REAPER but it would be much better if this was in the preferences somewhere.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
ertugrulgul

People including me requested these features repeatedly but can't gather much attention I think. Please support me. This features can be added so easily and save many people's time.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
EvilDragon

2) can be sorted out by having a volume/pan JSFX loaded as input FX on the track, then assigned as track controls, and everything saved as track template, then using that track template instead of regular tracks.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
ertugrulgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
2) can be sorted out by having a volume/pan JSFX loaded as input FX on the track, then assigned as track controls, and everything saved as track template, then using that track template instead of regular tracks.
I tried it, but it's not working when double click for adding a track and drag and drop files to reaper.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
heda

Misleading title. These are not the biggest deficiencies. Maybe for you. But not for many. And you can do the three features you want. Just in a different way.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertugrulgul View Post
I tried it, but it's not working when double click for adding a track and drag and drop files to reaper.
You would need to change the mouse modifier for that, with a bit of help from SWS. Mouse modifiers->Track control panel->double click, default action change to Action list, then use the old Xenakios action "Load track template xx", xx being number. Before that, go to SWS Resources, track templates, and make sure your track template containing pre-fx volume/pan as track controls is in there. Let's say in the first slot. Then you would use "Load track template 01" action as double click mouse modifier.

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to that same action (Ctrl+T is the default for new track, as far as I know). And then if you want it working in the menus, you'd need to tweak all menus that have "Insert new track" to work with this "Load track template xx" action instead of the default "Insert new track" action.

So yes, it's all possible.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
ertugrulgul

Quote:
You would need to change the mouse modifier for that, with a bit of help from SWS. Mouse modifiers->Track control panel->double click, default action change to Action list, then use the old Xenakios action "Load track template xx", xx being number. Before that, go to SWS Resources, track templates, and make sure your track template containing pre-fx volume/pan as track controls is in there. Let's say in the first slot. Then you would use "Load track template 01" action as double click mouse modifier.

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to that same action (Ctrl+T is the default for new track, as far as I know). And then if you want it working in the menus, you'd need to tweak all menus that have "Insert new track" to work with this "Load track template xx" action instead of the default "Insert new track" action.

So yes, it's all possible.
Okay but what about drag and drop?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
EvilDragon

You can drag&drop the template from its slot in the SWS Resources window. Have it docked somewhere.

Don't look for problems. Look at how to use what's already there and adapt to it.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
vitalker

Action to add FX on the first place of Fx chain is greeted too.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
ertugrulgul

Quote:
You can drag&drop the template from its slot in the SWS Resources window. Have it docked somewhere.

Don't look for problems. Look at how to use what's already there and adapt to it.
no no, that's not what I mentioned. I mean when I drag a audio file from my pc to reaper it's not adding the track from template.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Yeah I think that one can't be changed. So create a track first and drag media to it.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #13
Robert Randolph

Quote:
3- You can't set default track height in mcp
Just set the height of a track, and the next track will have that height.

Save it as your template.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
People including me requested these features repeatedly but can't gather much attention I think. Please support me. This features can be added so easily and save many people's time.
Can you link us to the feature requests you made so we can upvote them? There should be an official FR and a discussion thread we can participate in.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #15
ertugrulgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Can you link us to the feature requests you made so we can upvote them? There should be an official FR and a discussion thread we can participate in.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=175413
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181450
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=190152
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #16
karbomusic

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=38883

That format and the poll is very helpful to everyone in contrast. Looks like some of those have that so thanks!

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-25-2017 at 09:41 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
Gianfini

+1 to req. number 2 (even if you could reach it with tons of waysaround...) a straight knob could be useful!
Though I would make it in a way that it disappears upon a keystroke, because I don't deem it useful after the gain-staging phase (and even dangerous if you inadvertently touch it during mixing)

Instead I really don't understand why we'd want request number 1... at least I cannot imagine such a workflow using post fader fx

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #18
ertugrulgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
+1 to req. number 2 (even if you could reach it with tons of waysaround...) a straight knob could be useful!
Though I would make it in a way that it disappears upon a keystroke, because I don't deem it useful after the gain-staging phase (and even dangerous if you inadvertently touch it during mixing)

Instead I really don't understand why we'd want request number 1... at least I cannot imagine such a workflow using post fader fx

g
The pre-fx volume should be a option I think. It should be enabled and disabled from options. Thus everybody can stay happy
And the post fader is important because for example I will use a dynamic processor, I want to clip my drums with a clipper plugin. If I insert the clipper to post fader slot, I can set my input going into clipper easily and my output stays at where I want to set the ceiling.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #19
Gianfini

Quote:
The pre-fx volume should be a option I think. It should be enabled and disabled from options. Thus everybody can stay happy
And the post fader is important because for example I will use a dynamic processor, I want to clip my drums with a clipper plugin. If I insert the clipper to post fader slot, I can set my input going into clipper easily and my output stays at where I want to set the ceiling.
mmm don't want to discuss too much but a couple of questions come to my mind
- most clipper I know do have an input volume within the plugin, don't they?
- when you use the fader like that how to you mix then, you're missign a final volume fader to adjust track volume to fit the song, don't you? Isn't it better to put freeg (by Sonalksis) or JS:Volume in front of the Clipper?

just my 2 cents
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #20
Sound asleep

Quote:
There are 3 pre-fx volume controls. I believe the lowest level one is the fader in item preferences, the second is item envelopes, the third is pre-fx envelopes.

There are no post fader slots though to my knowledge. Not something I really miss, personally,but that would be new functionality you can't currently get with reaper, without doing a work around, like sending out a post fader send to a second track, and not sending the original to the master. A bit cluttery, but you could at least get the functionality you want.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
ertugrulgul

I think nobody cares this feature requests topic, sad.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #22
slipstick

Quote:
I think nobody cares this feature requests topic, sad.
I'm afraid I don't. But that's because what you call "biggest deficiencies" are all things I've never felt even the slightest need for.

So many people with very different requirements for this one program must make life quite tricky for the developers sometimes.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #23
robgb

Quote:
I've done all this, but I still get a minimized track when I double click in TCP. I've looked all over for what might be causing this, but can't find it. I've changed track preferences to Large, Medium, Custom, and no matter what, I always get a minimized track when I double click.

I assigned the Load Track as Template action to Command T, and it works fine there, but I can't seem to get it to work with the double click mouse modifier.

Anyone have any ideas?
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
I've done all this, but I still get a minimized track when I double click in TCP.
Anyone have any ideas?
Have you tested in a vanilla portable version (apologies if I missed a reply)? I ask because setting a custom "TCP" height in prefs works here. Also asking because the OP listed MCP instead of TCP.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #25
ertugrulgul

SEE THIS PLEASE!
Old 09-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #26
mschnell

Did you ever consider using one of the multiple already existing means described in this and other threads to achieve the appropriate function ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:06 AM   #27
bobobo

use a matching template-rpp and set it into
Preferences
-Project as startingtemplate
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 AM   #28
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
I've done all this, but I still get a minimized track when I double click in TCP. I've looked all over for what might be causing this, but can't find it. I've changed track preferences to Large, Medium, Custom, and no matter what, I always get a minimized track when I double click.

I assigned the Load Track as Template action to Command T, and it works fine there, but I can't seem to get it to work with the double click mouse modifier.

Anyone have any ideas?
Once I found out this:

https://i.imgur.com/NdE62i3.gifv

In words, it seems the + / - buttons near the scrollbar determine / overwrite height of newly inserted tracks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #29
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
There is a workaround for number 3.
There is ALWAYS a workaround in Reaper, and that is it's biggest problem....AND feature!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #30
ivansc

Quote:
Gtfo dude.
SHOUTING and being rude don't help your case.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
ertugrulgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
SHOUTING and being rude don't help your case.
My problem is with this guy. Whenever I do a feature request, this guy shows up and writes ridiculous things against my requests and that drives me crazy. Sorry by the way.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #32
ivansc

Mo problem, but maybe you should consider that the things you are saying are "biggest deficiencies" only affect a tiny minority of users, myself included.

I've been in the same situation myself and you just have to get used to the idea that what YOU want isnt necessarily something that enough others want, to where the devs will drop something else and concentrate on your FR.

Speaking personally, since I know a hybrid stave editor will now never be implemented (we got notation instead) my wish list has shrunk down to wanting smoother easier MIDI CC editing.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #33
mschnell

A very thoughtful set of statements !

Thanks a lot,
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #34
ertugrulgul

+1 for my own request.