Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #41
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post

Do predominately MIDI-users want to contribute or at least request areas that need covering? The coverage suits my needs, but the MIDI crowd are usually quite vocal

>
I'd be interested to hear as well.

As you correctly noted, I tend to use a few midi tracks, than print everything to audio. Even though my productions easily have over 100 tracks, I never keep them as midi and therefore don't utilize everything that can be done in REAPER.

But my feeling has always been, if your needs are that complicated, you usually can figure these things out. But would love to find out if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #42
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Man, it is just the other way around...thank´s for your support.
If I did not have your tuts, I would have never been an enthusiast reaperist.

I bow to you !!!
Let's agree that it works both ways.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #43
sveinpetter

Quote:
We have a slow internet link, is it possible to download these to watch later please?
>
I like this one
http://www.winxdvd.com/?YTD4.0.3

Have all the Kenny series on Groove3.
sveinpetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 AM   #44
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinpetter View Post
I like this one
http://www.winxdvd.com/?YTD4.0.3

Have all the Kenny series on Groove3.

Thanks, always useful to collect transcoding stuff.

I downloaded them over two nights after loading them up in the Firefox download manager. Now I find that I can't play any of the 1920x1080 mp4s on my TV, just the older 1600x900 ones, and I don't think LG issue firmware updates any more.

-I give up, I'll just have to watch them on the laptop, at least I'm not waiting for the broadband to catch up every few seconds now.

However well I think I know REAPER, I always learn something new from Kenny's Videos...

>
Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 AM   #45
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
.... at least I'm not waiting for the broadband to catch up every few seconds now.
>
I share your pain there, believe me I do....
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:45 AM   #46
NAD

I've been using REAPER heavily for over half a decade and I watched EVERY SINGLE ONE of your REAPER 5 Explained videos from start to finish! Fantastic job, Kenny!
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #47
C-H

Noob here!
These videos were great. Watched almost everyone of them.
Thank you.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #48
Codey

=========================

Do predominately MIDI-users want to contribute or at least request areas that need covering? The coverage suits my needs, but the MIDI crowd are usually quite vocal
=============

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

As you correctly noted, I tend to use a few midi tracks, than print everything to audio.

Well, you did get to hear from a Midi user here a few posts back. I wouldn't count myself being part of the 'midi crowd' using Reaper for audio 95 percent of the time. The one time I did try to use it for something midi though, took me six hours to figure out. I explained all that above. No big deal.

I wouldn't say I was quite vocal either. I voice my concerns and move on. I can see now why Reaper gets so much flak by the midi crowd. I thought it was to do with the god-awful (no offense) midi grid, but no, it runs deeper than that.

To use Reaper for midi, is like using a spoon to peel potatoes. You can do it if you try long enough, but there are better tools out there.

Kenny, I don't know how much more succinctly I could have put things. I'm certainly not angry or even a bit miffed. I simply shared my experience with you all to show another perspective. I can see why you would not make a video though of what I tried to work out. It would show the inherent weaknesses within Reaper itself.

And I'm ok with that. Use Reaper for Audio, not for Midi.

But please, let's not pretend there is going to be some kind of renaissance with Midi for Reaper, because it ain't ever gonna happen. It is what it is. And that's ok.

For the sake of my sanity and my integrity, I did a little test after posting about the difficulties I had (six hours to learn how to route midi to build a drum machine track - noted above).

It took me about 3 seconds in Studio One, to figure out what I wanted to do. About 10 seconds in Energy XT2. About 20 seconds in FLStudio. I gave up then, not bothering to check my other DAWs. Reaper took six hours. That is more than an order of magnitude for an experienced user, that is several orders of magnitude, again.

I was teaching people how to make music with Cubase 20 years ago. I was one of the first to get the program, to figure it out, and to disseminate that information.

Now. I don't want any of this taken out of hand. It's just a 'FYI'.

Everything I want from Reaper it gives. Everything I need to know, I can figure out myself. But ask yourself this: If it takes me six hours to work out how to do a midi build up drum machine style, how long would it take a noob? Answer: They would not be able to do it. Hence, lots of shitty posts on shitty forums about how crap Reaper is. Where Reaper is not crap at all. It is bloody amazing. I love this software.

Kenny, you could to a video about how to layer hi-hats on top of a beat via midi in Reaper, but you won't. Because it would take too long. And more than that, it would show up the greatest weakness in Reaper that there is.

And I'm ok with that too. I worked it out. It took me six hours. It took me 3 seconds in Studio One. 10 Seconds in Energy XT2, 20 seconds in Fruity Loops. I don't need an explanation now. I know how this software works. And I'm happy.

Reaper fills a niche no other software does. To moan about its poor midi implementation is like saying lemons taste bitter.

I love the software, I love the community. I'm even going to buy the v5 update pretty soon, I like it so much.

But, you know...

I'm not part of the Midi crowd. Anyone that users Reaper for Midi needs a head check - it's like using lemons to sweeten tea. Leave Reaper alone! (in the vein of that "leave Britney Spears alone" video on youtube). And I'm certainly not vocal.

Justin and the boys, just keep doing that voodoo that you do so well!

I'm happy as can be.

And Kenny, I really did mean 'thanks' when I said it for the free videos you put up for Reaper 5. I learned stuff I didn't know before. I like your style of teaching and I think it's very generous of you - lots of people are going to have the learning curve shortened a whole amount by you helping them out.

I back my mouth up with templates you can download. It's almost impossible to describe routing in English Conversation. Templates are needed. You got them. If I had had them, it wouldn't have taken me six bloody hours! Feel free to take my templates and add about 50KB to the next installer of Reaper. Your users will thank you. I won't go through that all again. I will load up my template - and you know what - Reaper is even faster then! That's right, it's not a lost cause at all. It just needs a bit of a rethinking and a rejig of the ego. Reaper is pure dynamite for midi (when you get it set up) - it might even end up being the most powerful midi sequencer out there.

Last edited by Codey; 02-01-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Codey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #49
lolilol1975

Need to watch them, I'll learn lots of things.

REAPER now has a great manual, great video tutorials and a great community. Awesome !

edit: just watch the first video. Beautifully explained !! Thanks so much Kenny !

edit: 3rd video already, put simply, I'm blown away.
I've already learnt sooooo much. Never even thought there was exclusive Mute and you could drag over Mute and Solo buttons like that. Not even sure there are other softwares (music or not) where you can do that.

Thank you again Kenny and Cockos for putting these videos.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 02-02-2016 at 01:53 PM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #50
David Perry

Thanks Kenny!!! You da man.
David Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #51
David Perry

Quote:

As you correctly noted, I tend to use a few midi tracks, than print everything to audio. Even though my productions easily have over 100 tracks, I never keep them as midi and therefore don't utilize everything that can be done in REAPER.

But my feeling has always been, if your needs are that complicated, you usually can figure these things out. But would love to find out if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Yea, I sequence all instruments (plus some drum loops) so whatever you come up with MIDI related I'll surely soak it up.

I'll also throw in a heart felt request for as much updated SWS related instruction you can find time for. Anything/everything SWS extension related. Whatever, I can use it all.
David Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #52
midiman007

Wow really a big thanks to Kenny.
Steinberg could learn a thing or two from Reaper and this forum.
midiman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #53
vanhaze

Not only Steini ; Apple, Presonus and Ableton too

The Karma of all Reaper Devs, users and teachers is insane.
Many thanks to all of them !
Many thanks for all your help and kindness !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #54
noise_construct

Quote:

Thanks
The chapter 24. MIDI is ok, it's not as painfully slow as the other ones and covers a lot of useful basics. (Note velocity, not volume btw! Two very different things.) It could actually be split into two or three chapters, could make the page look less like it's only about audio, and make it easier to find specific topic.

There really should be at least one chapter about using VST instruments, now someone could open that page and think it's not even possible.

Mouse Modifier chapters concerning MIDI editor (not new videos) are great and comprehensive, these were very helpful when I modified the editor behaviour.

Some topic ideas:

- setting up MIDI controllers

- VST and MIDI learn

- using a controller to record track control automation

- editing MIDI items in arrange view and item source looping (it's quite different from other DAWs)

- editing multiple MIDI items across tracks (one of the best MIDI features of REAPER and something not available in many other DAWs)

- using MIDI hardware sound sources with REAPER

- BONUS CHAPTER: controlling transport with key shortcuts while plugin windows are open ;-)

Some other not MIDI stuff:

- finding, installing and using community content like JS and scripts
- common useful shortcuts (check out Lynda tutorials how they teach shortcuts, they show on screen when they are used and the author repeats them a lot)
- consider de-essing a bit more, you have a very pronounced and extended "s" which gets distracting at times.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #55
caotico

Really excited about these videos. Thanks! Interesting conversation about midi going on here too.
caotico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #56
7angram

Sweet...very cool initiative from Cockos and Kenny! I have his other videos from Groove3, so I am looking forward to watching these when I transition to v5. Still need to finish a couple of longterm projects before I want to abandon v4.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #57
vanhaze

You won't regret upgrading to V5 :0)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #58
dea-man

Thank you Kenny G..

Thank you Reaper and Cockos.

Thank you community.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #59
vanhaze

Cockos, Kenny G, The Reaper Community : Happiness 2.0.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 AM   #60
lolilol1975

Of interest, I compiled the REAPER tutorials in English, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish made by members of the community in this topic.

If you find channels of note that are not listed here, don't hesitate to post in that thread so that I can update the list.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 02-07-2016 at 01:52 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #61
7angram

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
You won't regret upgrading to V5 :0)
I already have a license, just haven't migrated yet
Old 02-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #62
Podcasting University
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Thank you Kenny G..

Thank you Reaper and Cockos.

Thank you community.
All of the above plus, dea-man, you have a great voice. Just listened to Paradise Lost, man, you nailed it. I do a lot of intros / outros for Podcasters, I would love to get your permission to use 30 to 60 sec clips of your music. Your name and links would be added in.
Podcasting University is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #63
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7angram View Post
I already have a license, just haven't migrated yet
I recently opened a project I started in 2010 and had no issues. You have the right idea being careful here but it's not like reaper has a reputation for breaking things with each update.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #64
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podcasting University View Post
All of the above plus, dea-man, you have a great voice. Just listened to Paradise Lost, man, you nailed it. I do a lot of intros / outros for Podcasters, I would love to get your permission to use 30 to 60 sec clips of your music. Your name and links would be added in.
Dear Podcasting University -

Thank you for the compliment.

You have my permission to use my music however you want, and thank you for adding a link.

Peace, Love, Joy and Harmony!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #65
daniel88v8

nice videos Danny!
daniel88v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #66
Podcasting University
Banned

Quote:
Dear Podcasting University -

Thank you for the compliment.

You have my permission to use my music however you want, and thank you for adding a link.

Peace, Love, Joy and Harmony!
You Da Man Brother, no pun intended, well, maybe just a little!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #67
androo

Popping in to add one more thanks to Kenny.
Excellent work and much appreciated.
Now that I've watch so many KG tutorials...I read his posts in that fast-fast-pause-fast-fast-pause cadence he talks in. Brains are weird.
androo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #68
Gianfini

Super Kenny!!!! Some are quite 101 basic skills, others have opened up my eyes on new features / way of working

Great job
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:56 AM   #69
Podcasting University
Banned

Quote:
We have a slow internet link, is it possible to download these to watch later please?>
You can add "ss", without the quotes, to download any video off of YouTube, without installing any other software. I do it all the time to add them to my iPhone, if I am going to be out of internet range for a day or two.

"While you are on YouTube.com just add "ss" to the video URL in order to start the default YouTube downloader. For instance:
Original URL: https://youtube.com/watch?v=YOcmSsBfafg
URL for downloading: http://ssyoutube.com/watch?v=YOcmSsBfafg
Old 02-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #70
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podcasting University View Post
You can add "ss", without the quotes, to download any video off of YouTube, without installing any other software. I do it all the time to add them to my iPhone, if I am going to be out of internet range for a day or two.

"While you are on YouTube.com just add "ss" to the video URL in order to start the default YouTube downloader. For instance:
Original URL: https://youtube.com/watch?v=YOcmSsBfafg
URL for downloading: http://ssyoutube.com/watch?v=YOcmSsBfafg
Wow!

That's interesting.

I did not know this!

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #71
electricthing

Anybody wants to make a hardcore track with the line;
'My name is Kenny Gioia
Welcome to another one of my tutorials.'?

Chop it up or you might have to face the hard task of analyzing the timing of;

'...another one of my tutorials'

Anyway; I learn from every tutorial Kenny makes.
Thanks again.
electricthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #72
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricthing View Post
Anybody wants to make a hardcore track with the line;
'My name is Kenny Gioia
Welcome to another one of my tutorials.'?

Chop it up or you might have to face the hard task of analyzing the timing of;

'...another one of my tutorials'

Anyway; I learn from every tutorial Kenny makes.
Thanks again.
Anyway, that's how you do XXXX in REAPER.

I hope you learned something. And I'll see you next time.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #73
dea-man

Quote:
Anyway, that's how you do XXXX in REAPER.

I hope you learned something. And I'll see you next time.

Thanks.
Even as I read this (and didn't realize it was YOU writing it), I could totally hear your voice, saying it!
Old 02-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #74
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Even as I read this (and didn't realize it was YOU writing it), I could totally hear your voice, saying it!
My apologies.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #75
Podcasting University
Banned

Quote:
That's funny. I could hear the pattern in his voice as well.

As far as the ss on the videos, I had just spent $39.00 on a program to screen capture videos. I was using it one day when my 12 year old Grand Daughter walked in. She said, "what ya doin Pappap, I said, copying this video". She asked to take the captains chair, did something real quick with my pc and bam, the video was downloading.

She showed me again and the rest was history. Double S. Kids, she is already smarter then I will ever be!
Old 02-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #76
DruMunkey

Default These Videos are amazing! Having these vids is a top 5 "feature"

Way to go Cockos! Brilliant idea to have Kenny do these. I'm watching them all, even ones that cover stuff that before the video I was like, "for what I'm planning on using reaper for Ill never use that", I'm discovering all this stuff that reaper can do that just blows me away!

Like track templates... At first I was ehhhh... Then, I've discovered that it's prob. going to be my most used feature!!!

I can see a new canned forum response to noobs... "Did you watch video xx?"

One suggestion would be to have a cross reference in the manual linking to the time code in the appropriate video...
DruMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #77
airon

Some new automation actions are incoming to 5.17.

I'll try to do a video demo, but in the long run you're the better video producer here so you may want to take a stab at them.

Automation: Write latched envelopes to time selection
Automation: Write latched envelopes from edit cursor to end of project
Automation: Write latched envelopes from edit cursor to start of project
The big ones(to me). No longer do you need to juggle automation modes to write only what you need with actions, but can safely twist controls and write them, and only them immediately.
Automation: Write latched envelopes from edit or play cursor to first touch position

Some might remember this as write back to punch from consoles and other DAWs. A staple in modern automation. It uses the Automation Return Speed from the Preferences/Automation page as both the in- and outgoing transition time, which happens before the punch in and after the position the command is triggered.

I've used these commands for little over a day now, and they've already saved me boatloads of time and kept automation management tasks small.

Basically I keep all tracks in Latch, put a playhead/edit cursor somewhere and either do my changes in STOP mode or hit play over a time selection and twist, write-to-latched and then match out, kill time selection/loop selection with two keystrokes.

It's an enormous relief. I'm still thinking about how to convey this to people who have never used it before.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #78
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I'm still thinking about how to convey this to people who have never used it before.
Licecap or video?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #79
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I'm still thinking about how to convey this to people who have never used it before.
Thank you for writing this out.

It is a bit "advanced" compared to the topics I've been tackling lately but I'm adding it to my "to do" list.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #80
airon

Dea-Man, it's more a question of how to frame what the commands do.

This is stuff that's useful to people using automation more often.

A simple example is to do write-back-to-first-touched-control for effect send levels. You roll playback a bit before the area you're interested in. You TOUCH the control (in Latch mode you just need to change it slightly to do that so non-touch controls work fine) , find the right send level, and hit the command. Then you just roll transport up to the point you want that level written.

No need to edit anything by hand. That's the goal. That's what gets you the speed. Direct access. This is what makes Harrison consoles, ProtoolsHD+Icon/S5/S6 controllers and Nuendo+Nuage so good to use.

These actions give you some of that access. It's up to you how to control your stuff, but writing it has just become a lot easier and faster.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote