Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 04-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default In all Theme's i tried : item labels so blurry.

Dear Reapers,

I use Reaper on mac and maybe that's why i have this issue:

No matter what wonderful Theme i use, Item names (labels) are always so hard to read cause they look so "blurry".
These item names don't look really sharp and they have no good contrast.
Item labels drawn above or within Items : doesn't make a difference for the readability : all bad.

In the attachment you can see a pretty sharp track name, but item names are not.
Why can't these item names have the same sharpness as trackname ?

And again : this problem is NOT Theme specific ; i experience it with all Themes i used.

Last edited by vanhaze; 02-07-2017 at 01:12 PM.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
loo

I wouldn't necessarily refer to this as sharpness or crispness (however, your JPG is so compressed it all looks terrible to me anyway). I would normally attribute sharpness to anti-aliasing which is controlled by the system (however, reaper does have a preference called Faster text rendering (reduces antialiasing)). Windows calls it ClearType, I'm sure there's a Mac equivalent in the system preferences.

From what I can tell, you're just talking about making the font bold. This can be done by the action: Theme Development: Show theme tweak/configuration window, and scrolling down to: Media item label font. From there pick a bold font. Make it bigger if you need to.

Personally, I prefer my smaller sized fonts to be aliased. Just easier to read to my eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: png alias-anti-aliased.png (4.1 KB, 383 views)
loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Endisol

Default High DPI?

Are you on a retina mac/macbook? On PC Reaper does not do do high DPI scaling well. i doubt it would work well on Mac in that case. Might be your issue. Not sure when this will be fixed. dont see a lot of talk about it. Albertxxxx themes have the best contrast and make it somewhat bearable but hopefully they actually fix this issue soon.
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
rcorym15

I'm assuming you're using a retina display. When the retina MBPs first came out, there was some talk about this on the forums, but it never led to anything. I've been dealing with the blurry text since I got my retina MBP back in 2012.

If I'm working for long periods of time, I usually just HDMI out to my 40" 1920x1080 TV because it's easier to work on that screen (where the lack of high DPI support isn't discernible).

I've been working on a high DPI theme though; so I'll have something ready to use as soon as high DPI is supported.
rcorym15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
vanhaze

Err, that's quite awesome news ; many thanks in advance !

EDIT: Indeed , i use a Retina Macbook ..
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote