Old 05-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default More memory? Or just switch to 64bit?

If I am finding I could use a little bit more memory for reaper, is it more likely that I need to switch to 64 bit version of reaper? Or is it more likely that I just need to buy more ram?

I forget exactly how the 32 bit limit affects reaper, and how it allocates ram differently.

Is it a max of 4gb in total, for all of reaper and all the plugs? A max of 4 gb per plugin? Per instance of a plugin?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post

Is it a max of 4gb in total, for all of reaper and all the plugs? A max of 4 gb per plugin? Per instance of a plugin?
In 32 bit Windows it's going to be significantly less than 4 GB in total that is available for Reaper and all the plugins when run in a single process. If I recall right, a default 32 bit Windows installation will give only 2 GB maximum to processes. A switch can be activated that increases that to 3 GB.

If you are running 32 bit Reaper in a 64 bit Windows, you should be able to get to use 4 GB maximum for the Reaper process, but no more. Using plugin bridging you might be able to leverage more installed RAM, but it will likely be easier to just switch to 64 bit Reaper.

If you are on macOs, I don't recall how all that works in it. I haven't touched 32 bit OS-X for years...

Last edited by Xenakios; 05-28-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Sound asleep

Ok, so what you're saying is that I have a total maximum for reaper and all my plugins of 4 gb, if I am running in 32 bit reaper. Which means that if I switch to 64 bit reaper, I will nearly double the amount of available ram, if I have 8gb of ram, and if I don't upgrade to 64 bit reaper, then buying more ram won't even make any difference, right?

I'm running windows 10. I just really don't want to switch to reaper 64gb because I have a number of plugins which are 32 gb only, and I really hate running bridged plugins. But maybe it's time I bite the bullet.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
grinder

You don't say how much RAM you have at present
Must be a modern Computer?
Get 64bit place more RAM in (matched in capacity RAM), at least 12 GB if your computer is up to it.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
mschnell

AFAIK, 32 Bit windows can use only some 3 GB of memory at all (as part of the RAM addresses are used for other hardware). For using more you need a 64 OS. OTOH 64 bit programs usually need more RAM than their 32 bit counterparts. So with exactly 4 GB RAM in hardware 32 Bit Windows might be the better choice.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
grinder

I have done audio from windows gosh I can not remember then XP then through to Windows 7 pro
Used computers with audio with only 2 GB of memory trust me if you have a good computer i5 or i7 get windows 7 pro or widows ten ( you have this ), Reaper 64 and as much memory up to 32 GB and you will be most pleased!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:51 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
I'm running windows 10. I just really don't want to switch to reaper 64-bit because I have a number of plugins which are 32-bit only, and I really hate running bridged plugins. But maybe it's time I bite the bullet.
You should bite the bullet. I still have some 32-bit plugins and they are all running great even bridged in Reaper. Stable just as if they were 32-bit native.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #8
reapercurious

i hesitated a long time to go to 64 bit.

in retrospect i delayed for no reason.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 AM   #9
ivansc

+1 here too.
The only 32bit plugs I still run are those associated with my 2 UAD-1 cards and Native Instruments B4II.

Everything runs smoothly, even B4II which was dropped by NI not long after I got it, is not supposed to work either in 64bit or win 7 and up!

Going Win 64bit and Reaper 64bit can only improve your enjoyment.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #10
Softsynth

I will go further and suggest new builds of Reaper ( or any DAW or plugin) should not be available in 32 bit (just IMHO). It makes no sense to perpetuate support for obsolete limitations with regard to new products.
Windows shouldn't be available in 32bit either. Windows should have gone 64bit only with XP then there would be no need for artificial needless limitations, and conversations like this.

All modern hardware has been 64 bit for a long time now.

It is getting to a point soon where you will need to be using 64 bit just to run a compatible modern in production monitor, due to memory limitations of the graphics card alone!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:20 AM   #11
morgon

All fine here too at 64 bit for a couple of years, can't remember having probs with 32 bit bridged plugs either.

Maybe one thing to be somewhat wary of is replacing a 32 bit instance of some plugins within a wip project with the 64 bit version after switching to 64 bit.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
Sound asleep

I'm worried about "problems" with 32 bit bridged plugins. I just can't stand the fact that they exist outside of the program, and therefore you need to always click in and out of them to get reaper to do what you want. Just a pain. For me, I never had issues with 32 bit, memory-wise, so I just preferred to run in 32 bit. That way none of my plugins were ever bridged, which was just better.

I have 8gb of ram, which I did mention earlier, for those wondering.

The other downside of making the switch, is now I need to re-do all of my track templates to open up 64 bit versions of plugins, and also all of my plugin groupings in my FX dialog.

Not sure if I need to install anything for my controller. I assume not since that would be windows it would need to be compatible with, though I've notice my transport buttons were not working with my axiom 25.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Quote:
I'm worried about "problems" with 32 bit bridged plugins. I just can't stand the fact that they exist outside of the program, and therefore you need to always click in and out of them to get reaper to do what you want. Just a pain.
No you don't. On Windows you can embed plugin GUIs and then it works just like any other native plugin! No problems with that here.

Can you list 32-bit only plugins that you have, perhaps?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
bucca

https://www.quora.com/How-much-RAM-c...s-it-depend-on

running win7pro 16GB, no probs with bridged 32 plugs - till now
Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No you don't. On Windows you can embed plugin GUIs and then it works just like any other native plugin! No problems with that here.

Can you list 32-bit only plugins that you have, perhaps?
Ya, I usually have them embedded, but there was still a downside.

I'm not really sure which ones it is at the moment actually. I think it's older ones that I don't frequently use, so it's not so bad.

Just changing everything, and re=organizing everything will be a pain. I'll have to do it as I go. I think some plugins I stupidly only installed the 32 bit version as well, so, I'll have to fix those as well, if I did that.

We'll see. So far, for this project I'm working on, it's all good. I just remember not liking bridged plugins, and deciding not to go 64 bit because of that.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #16
ivansc

np need to uninstall the 32bit versions, just make sure reaper scans the 32 and 64bit directories in the right order and only the 64bit will show up where you have it. And of course where you dont only the 32bit will show up! Saves a lot of faffing about.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:03 AM   #17
reapercurious

Quote:
Ya, I usually have them embedded, but there was still a downside.

I'm not really sure which ones it is at the moment actually. I think it's older ones that I don't frequently use, so it's not so bad.

Just changing everything, and re=organizing everything will be a pain. I'll have to do it as I go. I think some plugins I stupidly only installed the 32 bit version as well, so, I'll have to fix those as well, if I did that.

We'll see. So far, for this project I'm working on, it's all good. I just remember not liking bridged plugins, and deciding not to go 64 bit because of that.
if you need more RAM, you will require a 64 bit operating system.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:45 AM   #18
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
if you need more RAM, you will require a 64 bit operating system.
He is already using a 64bit OS, by the way.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #19
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
np need to uninstall the 32bit versions, just make sure reaper scans the 32 and 64bit directories in the right order and only the 64bit will show up where you have it. And of course where you dont only the 32bit will show up! Saves a lot of faffing about.
Ya. I also noticed I had to clear the cache and re-scan if it had picked up the 32 bit instead of 64 for whatever reason. Otherwise a regular scan will just keep the 32 bit version, regardless of the order of your directory priority.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Ya. I also noticed I had to clear the cache and re-scan if it had picked up the 32 bit instead of 64 for whatever reason. Otherwise a regular scan will just keep the 32 bit version, regardless of the order of your directory priority.
It will show only the 64 bit version of a VST if there are conflicting 32/64 bit versions when the 64 bit VST directory is last in the directory scan list. The scan drops whatever it previously found if it finds another later in the scan, hence the reason for putting the one you favor last.

If this isn't working they are likely named differently or the scan list isn't in the correct order.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #21
Sound asleep

Ya, but if it does the scan, and finds let's say the 32 bit version in your scan, and then you add a 64bit dll later, after the scan is done, it won't find the new 64 bit dll on a normal scan. Even if you have your directories in the proper order. You need to clear the cache. Even restarting reaper and windows won't do it. a normal scan considers that as an indexed plugin already, or however it works, and doesn't consider the new dll in the 64 bit directory as a new unscanned plugin. Or something like that at least. I just went through something like that. But it's all good now that I did the clear cache thing.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Ya, but if it does the scan, and finds let's say the 32 bit version in your scan, and then you add a 64bit dll later, after the scan is done, it won't find the new 64 bit dll on a normal scan.
Hmm... that's possible (without testing) and might require clearing the cache as you said. I don't think I've ever run into that but makes sense.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
Aeolian

A little OT, but i find that bridged 32bit plugs run better if i turn the gui off, for bootsie plugs especially.
If i need to see a meter or tweak, i turn it on and back off once im done.
You can turn off the gui and save it as the default preset.
Any plug that has no gui, usually runs solid.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #24
Jae.Thomas

although I have had some issues that I've narrowed down to a couple of bridged plugins, I am very glad I went to 64 bit a long time ago.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:32 AM   #25
Liquid Fusion

64 bit Win 10 Pro - even with the Creator Update = rock solid + Windows can use memory greater than 4 GB (have 32GB)

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 05-31-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:40 AM   #26
G-Sun

Quote:
But maybe it's time I bite the bullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You should bite the bullet. I still have some 32-bit plugins and they are all running great even bridged in Reaper. Stable just as if they were 32-bit native.
Second this one. I was just like you.
Then changing to 64 was very painfree,
and anyway, it's not if, it's when
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote