Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 AM   #81
bladerunner
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Falcon View Post
So there is hope...
- Download the Waves Complete v9r30 installer. It's a 1.2GB installer but includes everything Waves offers. This can be found online still on the Multirack download page. If you select the V9 Plugins link on that page you will see it will offer the "offline" installer.
- Download the Waves Central installer.

What worked for me; given I already had Waves Central installed:
- Used Waves Central to move all my Waves licenses off my computer and back to the Cloud. If you do NOT do this, I think you are going to have licensing issues if you follow my steps to delete all Waves content from your C: drive.
- Used Waves Central to "uninstall" all Waves V9 plugins
- Uninstalled Waves Central itself using Windows Programs and Features panel
- Manually searched my C: drive for all Waves content and blew it all away. Bear in mind your user presets may be stored under the C: drive somewhere in .xps file. If you value your personal presents, find these files and save them BEFORE you blow the Waves stuff off your C: drive. If you delete Waves installers and presets it's on you - I keep only my OS on my C: drive plus apps.
- Installed the Waves Complete v9r30 plugins. You will need to manually select all the packages and single plugins you own in the installer checkbox list. Let this install the Waves License Center.

At this point I tried the old tried and true Waves License Center that was installed by the Waves Complete installer. It did NOT work and pointed me to the "new installer" aka the Waves Central.

- I did install the Waves Central but did NOT use it to install or activate any plugins. No need since they were previously installed using the v9r30 offline installer.
- Logged in to my Waves account in the Waves Central app and used the Manage Licenses function to move my licenses from the Cloud back to my computer. If you use a USB stick I guess you can move them to the USB stick.

- I keep my plugins on a separate drive so that I have control of what Reaper uses. I copied the WavesShell files 9.3 and 9.7 from the C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Waves folder where the installed to my G:\VST\VST64\Waves folder.

I opened a recent project that uses a pile of Waves plugins plus other stuff from Soundtoys, Slate, etc. Did a 'Clear Cache Rescan' operation. Did not receive any errors from Reaper about unavailable or unlicensed plugins. Let it run 15-20 minutes after making some changes and saving. No crashes. Turned autosave back on with a 15 minute interval. Noted that project folder now contains valid autosave files.

FWIW my Waves plugins all report version 9.3 as expected. I also use StudioRack Native which reports version 9.7 also as expected.

What a pain in the butt. At least I was able to find a way to get back to work. Hopefully this will help others as well with similar problems on Windows 7 and Reaper.
This installer unfortunately does not contain every Waves plugin. It seems it hasn't been updated for a long time. The eMo plugins are not there and, as far as I can tell, StudioRack isn't there either. It's a pain because installing Waves plugins through central never works for me - I always get the error message - so I have to use the complete installer which doesn't give me everything I paid for. Is there an installer for StudioRack? I can't find one on the Waves site. EDIT - sorted the studioRack problem... What's mega annoying is there are plugins I want to demo but I can't because they're not in the complete installer... I love their plugins but I have to laugh at how much of a joke their system is.

Last edited by bladerunner; 09-13-2016 at 09:34 AM.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #82
Rusty Falcon

Hi Bladerunner:

I was finally able to update to use the Waves Central installer to install my plugins and StudioRack. I did have to completely remove all Waves products from my computer, use the Waves Central application to float my licenses back to the cloud, use the Waves Central installer to install plugins and StudioRack, then use Waves Central installer to migrate licenses back onto my computer.

You might try similar but you will definitely have to get into Waves Central since you're right, the old installers are very old at this point and don't contain the best versions.
Rusty Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #83
bladerunner

Quote:
Hi Bladerunner:

I was finally able to update to use the Waves Central installer to install my plugins and StudioRack. I did have to completely remove all Waves products from my computer, use the Waves Central application to float my licenses back to the cloud, use the Waves Central installer to install plugins and StudioRack, then use Waves Central installer to migrate licenses back onto my computer.

You might try similar but you will definitely have to get into Waves Central since you're right, the old installers are very old at this point and don't contain the best versions.
Hi I've been through the procedure a good few times at this point - remove all traces from Appdata/Program files/ProgramData etc. - I've even given the registry a thorough clean of all Waves references inbetween installs. I still get the same result. Its strange because I definitely got it to work when they gave away trueverb.

The other thing to mention is I'm using Vista but I see just as many issues with 7 and 10 too..
Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #84
Rusty Falcon

Unfortunately you might need to discuss this with Waves support. They've officially been supporting Waves in Reaper now since Reaper 5.18 so they might be able to assist.

Bottom line is I think the workaround of using an old standalone installer is going to be less relevant and useful over time. Best to try and get into use of the Waves Central app and process since that is the new Waves primary method.

ETA that I may be lucky, but have had no problems with Waves Central in a few months. I have gone through two updates of the WC application and the plugins, and they show as updated and function correctly in Reaper x64 on Win 10 x64.

Last edited by Rusty Falcon; 09-13-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: More info
Old 09-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #85
ivansc

I have given this advice in several other earlier threads, Blade.
You really do need to use something pretty drastic to make sure you get ALL the residual files, as the waves installers have been scattering them all over the place since the beginning. I used IoBits Uninstaller, which is both free and my goto tool for thos sort of housekeeping.
It dug up a few I had missed and I still had to go through each and every likely and unlikely folder to make sure I got everythoing.
|AWaves has a nasty habit of randomly using Program files (x86) as an install location for 64 bit plugs for instance.
You are going to love Waves Central once you get your system clean and the new stuff installed.
I have had zero issues since doing this.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #86
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have given this advice in several other earlier threads, Blade.
You really do need to use something pretty drastic to make sure you get ALL the residual files, as the waves installers have been scattering them all over the place since the beginning. I used IoBits Uninstaller, which is both free and my goto tool for thos sort of housekeeping.
It dug up a few I had missed and I still had to go through each and every likely and unlikely folder to make sure I got everythoing.
|AWaves has a nasty habit of randomly using Program files (x86) as an install location for 64 bit plugs for instance.
You are going to love Waves Central once you get your system clean and the new stuff installed.
I have had zero issues since doing this.
Hey Ivan Waves puts folders and files in..

Appdata\Local
Appdata\Roaming
Program Files
ProgramData
Users\Public\Public Documents
Program Files\Common Files\VST3
Program Files\Common Files\WPAPI
Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign

..on my system. I haven't found anywhere else.. Do you have any locations to add to that? I also clean the registry of any Waves references I can find between installs. I used to have Iobit installed a few years back.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #87
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Hey Ivan Waves puts folders and files in..

Appdata\Local
Appdata\Roaming
Program Files
ProgramData
Users\Public\Public Documents
Program Files\Common Files\VST3
Program Files\Common Files\WPAPI
Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign

..on my system. I haven't found anywhere else.. Do you have any locations to add to that? I also clean the registry of any Waves references I can find between installs. I used to have Iobit installed a few years back.
Sadly, I didnt bother noting all the different places Waves have stashed stuff over the years, Blade.
FWIW all the current stuff should have a cute little rectangular blue icon with W or Waves in red in the middle... At leaasty everything I found on my computer did!
You might want to check the hidden directories under "username/appdata" too.
Good news is that once you have cleared out all the old shizzle, Waves Central is thus far very stable.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #88
Rusty Falcon

Try opening a File Explorer and navigate to the top of the C: drive. In the search box that should be too right type in "name:waves" (not the quote marks though) and press the Enter key.

This will search the C drive to find all files and folders with Waves or Waves in name.

Might find some othe things to be removed after uninstall.

Before you delete them now, check every folder. One of the folders contains any presets you use in the plug-ins. You'll probably want to copy that somewhere safe before you delete all the waves items.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #89
ivansc

Rusty - I wasn't kidding when I gave the advice to seek out and wipe everything.
That really is the only way to be sure that ALL you have on your machine is whatever a fresh download of Waves Central puts there.

Sure, it may well be convenient to keep those presets, but if they are actually contained in a folder installed by a previous Waves install, the chances are that they too don't need to be there. So like I said, dump the lot and start fresh.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #90
Rusty Falcon

I'm with you ivansc. I did in fact wipe out my presents and EVERYTHING in order to get the Waves Central installed and working correctly.

Sucked cuz I did have to rebuild a bunch of presets that I used, but it was worth it to get WC correct.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #91
bladerunner

Quote:
Try opening a File Explorer and navigate to the top of the C: drive. In the search box that should be too right type in "name:waves" (not the quote marks though) and press the Enter key.
Yeah I know that one

As far as I know..

Appdata\Local
Appdata\Roaming
Program Files
ProgramData

..are the only places the majority of software installs files - that's where I always look after uninstalling anything. Some might put folders for presets and things in Documents and rarely, in Users\Public\Public Documents.

I'm going to give it one more go today. My only other option is to finally make the upgrade to W7 to see if it's something Vista related.. But, I've seen just as many forum posts about this problem with W7, 8 and 10 users
Old 10-06-2016, 05:18 AM   #92
stevewdy

Default "Waves Central" Release

Hi guys. I'm a long time Reaper user, and answers to most problems I have I find in this excellent resource.
If I can add a few comments regarding Waves (Windows 10).
Since trying to download the new Waves Central, I have experienced nothing but heartache. The Waves Central simply will not open. After several correspondences from Waves I'm no further on. In fact I've lost my old Waves Vsts, including the reverb which I had come to rely on.
The tech people at Waves keep advising me to do the same thing over and over. Which I have done several times including advice on offline installation.
I was going to follow the delete everything Waves option, but, Sadly I'm going to abort Waves.Even if I did get Waves Central up and running I don't trust the comapany now.
I'm currently experimenting with Valhalla which I downloaded in seconds!
So many people are crying out with frustration over Waves I just wish enough people could get together and sue them in a class action for; loss of earnings; stress and aggravation. Ok I am getting slightly carried away with the class action but having started computer recording in 2005, I have never experienced anything like this.
stevewdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #93
ivansc

DONT give up.

Read my eariler advice in this thread about totally nuking all the old waves stuff before you try to download and isntall waves central.

I have had my waves licences on a dedicated USB stick for somne time and it is great - especially since Waves Central arrived.
So. Get hold of IoBit`s Uninstaller or similar and do a proper uninstall of any visible waves stuff you have on your machine. Do the full scan after the regular uninstall and THEN start hunting for anything else waves related.
I seem to remember Waves at various times in the past sticking stuff in some very unlikely places, like the main My Documents folder for instance.
Onve you are as sure as you can be that you have deleted everything, THEN do a fresh download and install of Waves Central. Waves tech support are not going to be that helpful yet for reaper users, as they only started officially supporting Reaper since 64bit VST3 arrived on the scene. Take anything they say with a pinch of salt at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewdy View Post
Hi guys. I'm a long time Reaper user, and answers to most problems I have I find in this excellent resource.
Since trying to download the new Waves Central, I have experienced nothing but heartache. The Waves Central simply will not open. After several correspondences from Waves I'm no further on. In fact I've lost my old Waves Vsts, including the reverb which I had come to rely on.
The tech people at Waves keep advising me to do the same thing over and over. Which I have done several times including advice on offline installation.
I was going to follow the delete everything Waves option, but, Sadly I'm going to abort Waves.Even if I did get Waves Central up and running I don't trust the comapany now.
So many people are crying out with frustration over Waves I just wish enough people could get together and sue them in a class action for; loss of earnings; stress and aggravation. Ok I am getting slightly carried away with the class action but having started computer recording in 2005, I have never experienced anything like this.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #94
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewdy View Post
I think you'll be better off. I only use plugins that do not require iLok/Pace or some other form of software licensing. I never have to worry about being locked out of my plugins again, which is a huge relief for me AND my clients. Move on and free yourself!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #95
G-Sun

Waves Central and plugins now seems to operate perfect here.
But, it was a transition from 9.3 (I believe) to latest,
with breaking old projects.

Waves Tune is my goto for pitch,
else I'd not bother much.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:26 AM   #96
bladerunner

So once again I'm having problems with this app. This is W10 64bit. Waves Central will not start up - double click - nothing. Click on the shortcuts in my start menu - nothing. I've uninstalled antivirus and disabled Windows defender completely - nothing. Run as administrator - nothing. Complete uninstall (including searching out all the left over folders and deleting them) and reinstall - same result. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I at least want to just to get it working to transfer the licenses back to the cloud if I choose to sell the plugins (as it's proving so problematic for me).

Thanks
Old 05-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #97
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
So once again I'm having problems with this app. This is W10 64bit. Waves Central will not start up - double click - nothing. Click on the shortcuts in my start menu - nothing. I've uninstalled antivirus and disabled Windows defender completely - nothing. Run as administrator - nothing. Complete uninstall (including searching out all the left over folders and deleting them) and reinstall - same result. Does anyone have any more suggestions? I at least want to just to get it working to transfer the licenses back to the cloud if I choose to sell the plugins (as it's proving so problematic for me).

Thanks
Some application is blocking it from starting. For whatever fucking reason Waves Central can be killed that way by completely unrelated program like GOG galaxy gaming client (was my case). If you don't have said GOG galaxy, you'll probably need to write to their support, send them msinfo dump and they will tell you where's the problem.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:35 AM   #98
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Some application is blocking it from starting. For whatever fucking reason Waves Central can be killed that way by completely unrelated program like GOG galaxy gaming client (was my case). If you don't have said GOG galaxy, you'll probably need to write to their support, send them msinfo dump and they will tell you where's the problem.
Ah you might be onto something. I do have Gog Galaxy installed and running in the background...

Well fucking done sir!! That was it - just killed it and Central opens fine. Jeez, another bloody set of things to worry about with licensing clients etc.

Thanks *thumbs up*