Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default New Asio driver for Zoom H2 - now works fine in Reaper

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/downlo...tware/h2.php#c is where you can download a Centrance asio driver for your Zoom H2, which now works nicely in Reaper as a simple audio interface / USB mic.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
dub3000
Human being with feelings

sweet! this has been rumoured for a long time, can't wait to try it out.

what's the quality like?
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
billybk1

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
drillbit

Default The H2 is great

If his new driver has low latency this could be very useful. I am really liking the mics on the H2. They sound great on spoken word and close mic kind of stuff (in stereo). The fact that the Zoom H2 works as a USB mic is brilliant.

A really cool tool.
drillbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

5ms seemed to be the figure on a quick test here. Sound quality - well, it's the same as if it's writing to its SD card I guess, or playing back. The H2 is fine - at the price - when using its four mics (no, you can't assign them to different channels when working as an interface) but the mic input is noisy for external mics. Line in is fine but a little too sensitive, so you need to be able to reduce the level of the source.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
5ms seemed to be the figure on a quick test here.
I was surpised to see that the new H2 ASIO drivers can get down to 1msec (45 samples) @ 44.1K. I tested the 45 sample latency in REAPER and was able to play back the allreaper project without any crackles. As expected the CPU usage was rather high (fortunately I am running an e8400), but it still played back crackle free. Quite surprising, as my Line 6 Toneport UX2 USB device only has 128 samples as it's lowest available ASIO latency.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
jamester

This is good to know...now I want the H2 even more!
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

The handy thing for me about this driver is that in my 'studio' I don't actually have the means to record from a mic, as it's intended wholly for post-production work. To record, I'd have to connect up a mixer to the Echo Mia in the desktop machine, plus heave out a mic and cable. And my only previous way of getting audio at any kind of sensible quality into the laptop was via a firewire mixer, again, not the work of a moment to set up. So being able simply to plug the H2 into either, and off I go with no further ado, will occasionally be very useful.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
drillbit

Default loow ll l a ten cy..

I just tried it out live as my sound card for my laptop playing VST's it rocks (GURU). This is a seriously useful bit of kit. Also it's battery powered so it doesn't drain your laptop (actually, I will have to test that). The latency is very decent. Now I might have to buy another to record gigs
Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Also it's battery powered so it doesn't drain your laptop (actually, I will have to test that).
I suspect the batteries don't power it when connected via USB. Put it this way - you can take them out and it keeps going! And you don't need to turn it on with the on/off switch - just plug in and off you go.

Note that the input is always live when the input is not disabled in the H2 menu. So when recording you probably need to mute the track being recorded, else you will hear it twice over (via the H2 direct and via the track). And when playing back you also need to turn off the input if not using line-in to the H2, else you will hear the room via the H2 mics - and a whole load of feedback when replaying via speakers.

Last edited by Art Evans; 04-28-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
A.j.

Reviving this 2 week old thread...

Does anyone know if you can use the new Zoom H2 drivers to record into Reaper WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY PLAYING A VST INSTRUMENT (& monitoring that instrument in real-time via the H2's out)?

I'm considering getting an H2 to record client rehearsals off-site. But it would be really cool if I could also use the H2 with my laptop as a low-latency real time playback device with virtual instrument apps like Reason, Abelton, B4, etc.

And it would be double-y (is that a real word, aside from in Spinal Tap?) cool if I could also be recording the H2's mic into Reaper while playing these live VST instruments...

Too much to ask for? Anyone know?

Aj

(1) good songs
(2) by good musicians
(3) in a comfortable room that
(4) sounds great
(5) with great sounding instruments
(6) on great sounding gear.

Gear comes last.

Last edited by A.j.; 05-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.
A.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #12
drillbit

Yes, it works as a sound card and a mic separate of each other, plus the live VSTi's play.

So yes doubly cool.

My problem is that my new laptop is Vista and I have some sound glitches with the asio drivers. Latency is low but there are glitches after a while. I can't solve this, it seems to just build up. Not cool for live work. Maybe there are some settings or something.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
A.j.

That's great news, Drillbit. I've gotten another confirmation that this indeed works on the Zoom forum.

I'm going to buy one tomorrow.

Aj

(1) good songs
(2) by good musicians
(3) in a comfortable room that
(4) sounds great
(5) with great sounding instruments
(6) on great sounding gear.

Gear comes last.
A.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
bradinnm

Bringing back the old thread.

I have the Zoom v1.5 firmware working with Reaper on my laptop with the latest Zoom ASIO drivers. It is working but I cant seem to add a track as a stereo track using H1 and H2 inputs simultaneously. I can only arm a mono track using H1 or H2. Am I missing something?

THX

bradinnm
bradinnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
GuitarKeyes

Does anybody know how to turn off hardware monitoring on the zoom h2? I just want to monitor the software signal coming from reaper so that i can record with effects on my voice.
GuitarKeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #16
themixtape

Default wtf

Ok, so I'm messing with the Zoom H2, just doing some basic quick demo recording with my laptop (sure makes things convenient, as my Focusrite 2i2 is stored away at the moment)... but man, every time I add just ONE overdub on a different track (two tracks max in this Reaper project, no VSTs)... it's out of sync... not fully, but halfway through, like the computer's choking. Sounds like I can't play in time, about halfway through a 2nd guitar part.

I have the latency max at 20ms (all the way to the right in the Zoom ASIO driver window)... 44.1khz, to match Reaper....

What am I doing wrong? I know this thing is supposed to work great.... and yes, I definitely have the latest driver... thanks guys!

-Chris