Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
dea-man
Human being with feelings

Default New AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools?

What the heck is AAX? A new plug-in platform for Avid only? Anyone know the story here?

Are they trying desperately to corner a market,again?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
danfuerth

Yes it's Avid's new sound plugin architecture, it's the replacement for TDM plugins

So avid is finally waking up and going in the right direction, no more of this tying hardware to software nonsense. Avid Protools 9 and 10 with normal hardware. I still would not touch Protools, not until they get their VST, VSTi plugin working properly, protools is pretty bad with VSTi's.

Still some people love it, others hate it, what are you going to do !! lol
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
dea-man

Default I feel lucky, really....

I was a virgin when I got to Reaper, as far as ITB recording/mixing was concerned. Prior to that I had a Roland VS-2480 (which I guess could be considered another box), but that was it.

I have never touched Pro Tools and don't really intend to, as it seems like it takes "many a hoop" to jump through, in order to run it as smoothly as Reaper. At least that is what I have read.

Thanks Danfuerth, for confirming the 411, though!

Last edited by dea-man; 05-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.
dea-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
danfuerth

No problem, just thank me on the BBLEAN post, watch the video and see how I run reaper with bblean which is an awesome and different experience. Check the video when Jamvox VST FX floating window gets minimized into a floating bar and reaper's bar is next to it LOL awesome!!!!

Get rid of the windows gui and install BBLEAN!!!

Freeware

Last edited by danfuerth; 05-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
solaris1982

AAX is replacing RTAS and TDM. Basically, PT10 is a bridge between "old, clunky 32-bit PT" (1-9) and "new improved, 64-bit PT" (11+). RTAS and TDM can't be run with 64 bit progs and AAX can. ALL 4 types of PT plugs (RTAS, TDM, AAX Native, and AAX DSP) can be run in PT10, but starting with 11, RTAS and TDM will be totally gone and it will be all AAX all the time. That was a brilliant idea, IMO. If only they hadn't completely pissed off 90% of their user base with the upgrade pricing "scandal."

I never intended to touch PT, either. I got a "free copy" of PT10 when I bought a $900 amp modeler (the eleven rack...pricey, but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned), and it really does have its strong points. I do find plenty of things that it can't do, and think "I've always been able to do this with Reaper...that's weird that the 'Industry standard' can't do it."

Horses for courses...I use both pretty evenly right now, but I don't think I'll be getting an upgrade to 11 when it comes out, unless the new feature set really blows me away (which means...if more standard Reaper features are added).
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
dea-man

Default Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris1982 View Post
I don't think I'll be getting an upgrade to 11 when it comes out, unless the new feature set really blows me away (which means...if more standard Reaper features are added).
LOL! Very good, sir.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
danfuerth

Well for me I will put it very bluntly, Ilok = you are not going to get my money period end of story, if everyone boycotted protools, avid would have no choice but to drop that moronic cpu eating crap lok.

Until avid drops Ilok like Waves did ( thank you waves finally), I am not buying protools.

Companies that makes us use Iloks are old again dinosaurs, and their time is coming, Reaper's mentality is the only way forward as it is simply "DO WHAT YOU WANT TO THE APP" nothing beats that!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
chrisharbin

Dea-man, reason is also introducing a new format. Fun eh?
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
danfuerth

LOL I can hear it now,
Who is he? Cyborg responds..Reaper connor is the leader of the resistence, and the last hope for man kind.

LOL
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
xphen0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
LOL I can hear it now,
Who is he? Cyborg responds..Reaper connor is the leader of the resistence, and the last hope for man kind.

LOL
+10 Points for the Terminator reference!
xphen0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
chrisharbin

Dan got an avatar. What next, chrisharbin??? (shock)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
danfuerth

LOL ya that's the one from my reaper start spash screen, except on reaper here she takes off the top when reaper starts up. Use resource hacker so you can add a 2nd pic as a mask LOL .
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
dea-man

Default It looks kinda like Britney..

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
LOL ya that's the one from my reaper start spash screen, except on reaper here she takes off the top when reaper starts up. Use resource hacker so you can add a 2nd pic as a mask LOL .
...and I wouldn't mind seeing Ms. Spears, remove her top,(or bottom).
Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
chrisharbin

Is that who that is? BLECH! I guess just as long as it's not lintseed lowhan or danICKa patrICK.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
EvilDragon

That looked quite similar to Elisabeth Hurley to me.

Man she's hawt.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
dea-man

Default Elizabeth Hurley......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That looked quite similar to Elisabeth Hurley to me.

Man she's hawt.
.....Smokin'!!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
chrisharbin

I don't like girls that smoke
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
dea-man

Default Are you saying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
I don't like girls that smoke
...if you cuaght her naked, and smoking in your bed, you'd put her out?
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
danfuerth

I hate smokers, but a fine woman smoking one slowly while almost naked is a site to behold.

LOL okay now that does it that is my next reaper splash screenmod.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Along with the bedclothes..! I used to like dirty women, but I draw the line at smokers. In your BED for gods sake! How much more disgusting is that? Vile, awful practice.

And the worse thing is that smokers are that hooked and their noses and sense of taste that screwed that they don't realise how much they stink and how offensive they are to normal people.

Woman with a cigarette? About as sexy as if she had shat herself.

>
Old 05-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
chrisharbin

Quote:
It pretty much puts the limp in biscuit for me.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
planetnine

It's what fire extinguishers are for. Get the one from the garage that's really bloody cold..!

>
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #23
dea-man

Default Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Along with the bedclothes..! I used to like dirty women, but I draw the line at smokers. In your BED for gods sake! How much more disgusting is that? Vile, awful practice.

And the worse thing is that smokers are that hooked and their noses and sense of taste that screwed that they don't realise how much they stink and how offensive they are to normal people.

Woman with a cigarette? About as sexy as if she had shat herself.

>
Yeah, it doesn't get much worse (or stinkier) than cigarette smoke. Can't stand the smell. I was trying to make a little joke about putting Ms. Hurley out (cause she's on fire and smoking), but the joke was "miniscule", rather than "little".

I have smoked a few times, as a much younger man. I feel so lucky that habit never really caught on with me. Dodged a bullet there.

Again, as a younger man, I did smoke a fair amount of weed. I must have reeked!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
danfuerth

LOL interesting posts hehehe
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
chrisharbin

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't get much worse (or stinkier) than cigarette smoke. Can't stand the smell. I was trying to make a little joke about putting Ms. Hurley out (cause she's on fire and smoking), but the joke was "miniscule", rather than "little".

I have smoked a few times, as a much younger man. I feel so lucky that habit never really caught on with me. Dodged a bullet there.

Again, as a younger man, I did smoke a fair amount of weed. I must have reeked!
But with pot, there is at least a side effect.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
Stu

OT I know, but peoples reactions to smokers genuinely surprises me sometimes. Hate? Really?? To say something like that, it's incredibly small minded in my opinion.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
dea-man

Default Not the person......

...I hate the smoke, the cancer it cuases, the way it stinks everything up, the way the tobacco industry insidiously charges a huge amount of money, after getting people hooked on nicotine, the advertising that makes kids think it's cool, the lobbying the tobacco industry can do, because of the huge amount of money they make, the effects on innocent bystanders.

Nothing to do with the hating the people. It's the habit I hate. I kinda feel sorry for any addict.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
Stu

Wasn't really aimed at you personally dea-man, it's just you hear things said all the time about smokers that really, if said about other people with different bad habits would be considered a form of discrimination. The idea that a person could dislike another person for the reason of them smoking is absurd to me.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
dea-man

Default Please, please, please don't take this the wrong way....

.....I absolutely do not mean any disrespect to you. It is "my own" perspective, that got to me. See, from my point of view a statements like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Hate? Really?? To say something like that, it's incredibly small minded in my opinion.
and:

Quote:
Wasn't really aimed at you personally dea-man, it's just you hear things said all the time about smokers that really, if said about other people with different bad habits would be considered a form of discrimination. The idea that a person could dislike another person for the reason of them smoking is absurd to me.
...totally strike "me" as coming from a very, small-minded, and discriminatory point of view about "other" people. I would feel very small-minded, lumping all people, into a box of my own creation.

Remember, I am writing about "my" feelings, not necessarily "yours". To me, it just seemed as if the written comments were doing the exact thing, of which they were accusing others of being guilty.

Seriously, I am not attacking you, I am simply recognizing this very human element, in myself, more than anything.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
aldrichgo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris1982 View Post
AAX is replacing RTAS and TDM. Basically, PT10 is a bridge between "old, clunky 32-bit PT" (1-9) and "new improved, 64-bit PT" (11+). RTAS and TDM can't be run with 64 bit progs and AAX can. ALL 4 types of PT plugs (RTAS, TDM, AAX Native, and AAX DSP) can be run in PT10, but starting with 11, RTAS and TDM will be totally gone and it will be all AAX all the time.
Just to clarify, for new PT format, RTAS is being replaced by AAX (native) and TDM is being replaced by AAX DSP. In other words there are still two formats AAX and AAX DSP. Is that a true statement? Or is there some plan to have AAX work with both native and TDM?

We want to make sure we are passing good info on to our customers and so far have been unable to confirm this.
aldrichgo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
danfuerth

Look I am honest and I am brutal honest when it comes to things.

I will not lie about this.

Why has protools ( avid) been so far up apples butthole? Look at reaper how it's coded. This thing works on thousands of different pc machines and different configurations and one for the mac. Sorry avid get better coders. Sorry but for this reason Reaper blows avid out of the water.

Now they see apple's direction and they are panacking, like removing the hardware restrictions that never made any sense at all since they the PC as the last desktop format coming.

It's like the motu situation, now they see again apples "new " direction and panick and now are bringing Digital Performer 8 to Windows 7. But I am betting that apple will buy Motu out since they fear that if Digital Performer comes to the PC and see more power of the mac version that would put a sore eye on apple. So my bet 100% is that apple will buy Motu out. Take a look at Digital performer 8 release date - spring 2012 LOL, spring has come man LOL we are already in the middle of May. Apple is for sure in talks to buy them out.

My point is very simple, stop being a dinosaur, stop pushing only one platform, stop pushing moronic restrictions, support standard features aka VSti to this day still suck on Protools. In the end your decisions come back to haunt you. I hope Motu goes bankrupt, they need to learn a lesson for their moronic "apple is god" mentality.

I hope Steve Jobs is in a better place. But after he left it's like every company under the sun is coming back to the pc, this is not a coincidence as he was a guy who did not like competition even more then microsoft. And he pushed companies into not supporting other platforms.

That is why mac users are so bland and so pathetic, it was Microsoft who saved apple from bankruptcy. And now apple is heading off to somewhere else thinking "you can edit hd video on an iphone or tablet" ya sure they must be smoking some good stuff there.

I like competition and I fear that if apple dumps the mac pro's as I have feared, then we are heading to a crappy computer feature.

Last edited by danfuerth; 05-07-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #32
Stu

No worries man, I don't feel attacked or anything. I think as always, sometimes things don't come across the same over the Internet as they would talking in person. I'm not discriminating against anyone, only trying to say that some of the comments I regularly hear about smokers would be deemed unacceptable (to most people I imagine, not just me) if said about some other 'group' of people. I just find it very hard to understand how someone could group together people of a single shared characteristic and form an opinion on that group as a whole. Is saying 'I don't like smokers' any different to saying for example 'I don't like fat people'?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #33
dea-man

Default I totally agree with you.....

Quote:
No worries man, I don't feel attacked or anything. I think as always, sometimes things don't come across the same over the Internet as they would talking in person. I'm not discriminating against anyone, only trying to say that some of the comments I regularly hear about smokers would be deemed unacceptable (to most people I imagine, not just me) if said about some other 'group' of people. I just find it very hard to understand how someone could group together people of a single shared characteristic and form an opinion on that group as a whole. Is saying 'I don't like smokers' any different to saying for example 'I don't like fat people'?
...this is why I was very adamant about writing of only my hate (dislike?) for the residue and collateral damage caused by smoking, not the people who smoke on a personal level.

I really hadn't thought about this before, but upon reflection, no one in my close circle of friends, smokes. Didn't plan it that way or anything.

May I ask a personal question? Do you yourself, smoke?

I also totally agree with you about how things sometimes come across the internet with a different shade of meaning, than intended. I thank you for at least hearing my point of view out.

It is nice to have a reasonable, intelligent conversation with someone.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
danfuerth

Our society has become to weak.
Brutal honesty is better.

If someone says you gained a bit of weight?
I always say "thanks for noticing the weight loss, many people have said the same"

That one gets them every time
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #35
Stu

Quote:
...this is why I was very adamant about writing of only my hate (dislike?) for the residue and collateral damage caused by smoking, not the people who smoke on a personal level.

I really hadn't thought about this before, but upon reflection, no one in my close circle of friends, smokes. Didn't plan it that way or anything.

May I ask a personal question? Do you yourself, smoke?

I also totally agree with you about how things sometimes come across the internet with a different shade of meaning, than intended. I thank you for at least hearing my point of view out.

It is nice to have a reasonable, intelligent conversation with someone.

At the moment, yes. I haven't always been a smoker, and I remember well how bad the smoke smelled etc before I started. I've given up many times only to start again in a moment of weakness. In all honesty though, my smoking has nothing to do with my relying to this thread, if the comments had been made about some other 'group' of people my reaction would have been the same.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #36
solaris1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldrichgo4 View Post
Just to clarify, for new PT format, RTAS is being replaced by AAX (native) and TDM is being replaced by AAX DSP. In other words there are still two formats AAX and AAX DSP. Is that a true statement? Or is there some plan to have AAX work with both native and TDM?

We want to make sure we are passing good info on to our customers and so far have been unable to confirm this.
Yes, that's correct. Old PTHD Cards are being replaced by HDX cards. HDX Cards can ONLY run AAX DSP plugins on them (like old HD cards can ONLY run TDM plugs). Each vendor decides for themselves what plugins will be available in native format and dsp format (or both), but native and DSP plugins are totally separate processes, so you can't run a plugin that's AAX Native on a DSP card, or vice versa. AAX Native plugins will be like RTAS...they use processing power from the computer they're running on.
solaris1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
dea-man

Default I understand....

Quote:
if the comments had been made about some other 'group' of people my reaction would have been the same.
....I am totally sensitive, and aware of people (including myself), that way, too!