Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 09-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
kindafishy
Human being with feelings

Default Music to Murder - Insolence and Wine (Don't Make Me Run)

It's been a very, very long time since sammydix and I have posted a M2M tune. Sam is insanely prolific, so it's all my fault that it takes so long. Busy, busy.

This tune developed in kind of a cool (to us) way. Sammy sent me a shell of the track with bass, drums, guitars and clav but with no vocals. We thought it would be interesting/fun to see what would happen if we tried to come up with vocal melodies and guitar melodies separately. They ended up fitting together so well that we may as well have been sitting in the same room together, planning out every note.

Music to Murder presents, Insolence and Wine (Don't Make Me Run).

Box.net -> https://www.box.com/s/r0l45rvpqxo7y1ek9tq0
ReverbNation -> http://www.reverbnation.com/musictomurder

Greasy and sleazy.

All thoughts are most welcome. Like? Don't like? Mix problems? Not a problem, but something you may have done differently? I'm quite open to tweaking the mix a bit as long as Sam and I agree with the suggestion.

Just to share a bit of the esthetics we're going for here, we want it to be open and natural sounding. Almost live, but still polished and balanced. Not concerned about loudness, but very concerned with impact and dynamics.

Thanks for the listen!

Updated the mix (and the song title). Thank you all so much for the feedback and encouragement. Sam and I are both extremely appreciative. All comments up until post #44 are taken into account. Post #45 has the details of what changed.

Last edited by kindafishy; 09-24-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Updated mix
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
pdk

Really enjoying this. Great technical effort.

It's hard to get the natural sound and get to polished and balance.

Observations: You have really tight concise parts working off each other.

to my ears the opportunity I see: The groove and interplay could have more impact with some mixing and EQ choices. I should want to dance to it, but I didn't.

This is a song that would be fun to mix. Once I am standing behind the mixing desk grooving - I'm there.

I listened twice.

Gonna listen again.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
pdk

I need more drums and bass.... in my face!

:-)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
sammydix

Keven shocked me with his final arrangements.
i'd gotten sorta "ho-hum" with the song and hadn't listened to
it completely for months, then he sprang this on me!
i lit up from the first few notes. his bass changed the entire tone
of the song for the better for one.

PDK if Kevin agreed to send you the stems, an alternate mix would be interesting.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
pdk

I'm down!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk View Post
I'm down!
PM me and we'll make arrangements. Very cool!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
kindafishy

Quote:
Really enjoying this. Great technical effort.

It's hard to get the natural sound and get to polished and balance.

Observations: You have really tight concise parts working off each other.

to my ears the opportunity I see: The groove and interplay could have more impact with some mixing and EQ choices. I should want to dance to it, but I didn't.

This is a song that would be fun to mix. Once I am standing behind the mixing desk grooving - I'm there.

I listened twice.

Gonna listen again.
Thanks pdk. Love your comments.

Can you get a bit more specific and share some ideas when it comes to getting the groove and interplay to have more impact? I'm all ears. What kinds of things would you try?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
pdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Thanks pdk. Love your comments.

Can you get a bit more specific and share some ideas when it comes to getting the groove and interplay to have more impact? I'm all ears. What kinds of things would you try?
to start I might:

1. Some mid(-ish) frequencies on the bass would come up to bring out what is a strong performance (and even hooky).
2. The percussion sounds needs some... seasoning and more presence(?). Like the hats and cymbal sound. Would like to hear some decay on the cymbals...
3. add width &/or EQ to really make the clav and guitar work excite ME and bring out the interplay that I perceive

Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
pdk

This mix sounds good through my monitors.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Lawrence

Sounds pretty good to me too. If this is the general mix direction it's sounds on point.

The only thing that really sticks out to me is that the kick drum seems kinda weak on my desktop speakers, not really cutting through when all the rest of the music is playing. It sounds like a compression or limiting issue because on the sparser arrangement parts the kick cuts through better, but gets lost a little otherwise.

Like the energy of the vocals and guitars and the bass. I'd slap a Thrillseeker (love that freeware comp) on the drum bus though.

I wouldn't mind giving this a go if you guys are posting the stems, but generally speaking it already sounds good. Anyway, I'd probably compress the drums a good bit more to pump up the lower level energy and not use very much compression on the vocals at all, let them kinda run "free" with automation and dynamics.

Anyway, I'd probably mix this from the vocals down, starting with the vocals... try to get a great acapella vocal mix and then start bringing stuff in.

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Lawrence

P.S. I'd also maybe reference some Sly Stone or Rick James mixes or similar when remixing this. It has that kind of "funky old school" vibe about it.

You can probably easily find those kind of mix references with iTunes previews.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
plgrmsprgrs

Great song guys. Impressive arrangement and technically adroit. Cool how well those melodies came together. I agree with Lawrence's from the vocals down idea for a mix, with bolder drums (not that this mix is bad - quite good actually ).

For references, I'm hearing more of a Steve Winwood groove.

Kyle
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post

Kyle
Yeah. Nice one Kyle.

After listening to it a few more times I think as relates to the backing track I'm gonna reference some Brothers Johnson on this one. They always have a really kinda "tight" style on the rhythmic mix tracks and they also inject a good bit of guitar, so it might make a good reference for the foundation.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
stratman

I really like it.

This is very subjective, but my very first impression was that the drums seem to have a slightly more laid back feel than the guitar and bass. Alternatively, maybe the guitar and bass are slightly more urgent than the drums. Depends on your reference point .

I can 'sense' a slight disconnect in groove. Maybe it's just me. Ignore if nobody else thinks this. It's one of those 'hard to pin-point' subjective things.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Lawrence

If the creators are still lurking... is there any way to break up the "Drums" track into stems? Having the snare and the hats and cymbals premixed is really restrictive.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Sounds pretty good to me too. If this is the general mix direction it's sounds on point.

The only thing that really sticks out to me is that the kick drum seems kinda weak on my desktop speakers, not really cutting through when all the rest of the music is playing. It sounds like a compression or limiting issue because on the sparser arrangement parts the kick cuts through better, but gets lost a little otherwise.

Like the energy of the vocals and guitars and the bass. I'd slap a Thrillseeker (love that freeware comp) on the drum bus though.

I wouldn't mind giving this a go if you guys are posting the stems, but generally speaking it already sounds good. Anyway, I'd probably compress the drums a good bit more to pump up the lower level energy and not use very much compression on the vocals at all, let them kinda run "free" with automation and dynamics.

Anyway, I'd probably mix this from the vocals down, starting with the vocals... try to get a great acapella vocal mix and then start bringing stuff in.
Hey Lawrence. Do you have the stems? Sammy can invite you into the db project if you don't.

The kick isn't compressed or limited. That's just the tone of it. The drums were rendered down very early in the project. I think they are Addictive Drums if I'm not mistaken. I've tried to tease it out a bit with some bumps at a really low 50 Hz and around 4000 Hz to give it some wood. Any more and it starts to distort, so I'm not sure how to get it to come out more. Any suggestions there would help me a lot.

The vocals are really open. Not much compression at all. I did start with a vocal mix and then brought everything else in afterwards. I actually picked that up from you a long time ago! After everything else was brought in, I made a lot of adjustments after the fact though. Lots of automation on the vocals. LOTS! I think that should be in the project on db.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
pdk

Here's the mix I started:

I replaced the drums. Very Bonham sounding. changed the intro (and ending).

I'm still getting to know all of the guitars, but "the bed" ia coming along and has an energy I think.

Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/pd-k-1/m2m-don...me-run-pdk-mix

I think it's a great song. "Insolence and wine" is a title I'm envious of. Great tune!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plgrmsprgrs View Post
Great song guys. Impressive arrangement and technically adroit. Cool how well those melodies came together. I agree with Lawrence's from the vocals down idea for a mix, with bolder drums (not that this mix is bad - quite good actually ).

Kyle
Thanks Kyle! I'm going to be doing some tweaks to the 'official' mix.

Yeah, good call on the Steve Winwood groove.

Bolder drums. Got it. I'm taking a bunch of notes now and in a few days, I'll take another run at the mix.

I need to let it mellow and fester for a bit.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I really like it.

This is very subjective, but my very first impression was that the drums seem to have a slightly more laid back feel than the guitar and bass. Alternatively, maybe the guitar and bass are slightly more urgent than the drums. Depends on your reference point .

I can 'sense' a slight disconnect in groove. Maybe it's just me. Ignore if nobody else thinks this. It's one of those 'hard to pin-point' subjective things.

Pete
Thanks, Pete. Sammy pens a MEAN tune.

Great ear, Pete. The guitars and bass are indeed more urgent. The drums are back in the pocket a little. That's on purpose.

I feel good about the groove. I find myself bopping my head every time I listen, but I am waaaaaaay too close to the source material. Can you get more specific about what I should be listening for to hear what you're hearing?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
kindafishy

Quote:
If the creators are still lurking... is there any way to break up the "Drums" track into stems? Having the snare and the hats and cymbals premixed is really restrictive.
Can't be done! The original drum tracks were rendered down to stereo (minus the kick) and the midi was discarded.

I had another track a long time ago that also had a stereo mix down of the drums and I found that I could control the cymbals a little by making a parallel track of the drums (heavily leveled) and using pretty heavy LP on it, then using that to support the stereo track. It gave the illusion of reducing the level of the cymbals and hats pretty effectively.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
pdk

You really got some realism out of the hats and cymbals, KF.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
kindafishy

Quote:
Here's the mix I started:

I replaced the drums. Very Bonham sounding. changed the intro (and ending).

I'm still getting to know all of the guitars, but "the bed" ia coming along and has an energy I think.

Let me know what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/pd-k-1/m2m-don...me-run-pdk-mix

I think it's a great song. "Insolence and wine" is a title I'm envious of. Great tune!
What do you mean getting to know them? There's only 10 tracks of guitars. There were actually about 16 tracks of guitars a couple weeks ago, but I deleted a few of them.

It is sooooooo cool to hear another interpretation of the same material. The creative liberties are exceptionally cool. You just took it and did a bunch of rearrangement. I love the bass starting before everything else. It just sets the groove. I might take that for the 'official' mix.

I do think the main guitar lead line during the verses and choruses needs to come up a lot. It is very buried.

I like how you brought out that middle guitar section that is buried as a background element on my mix.

I like the bass treatment too. It sounds really, really good. Lots of energy and very clear.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
kindafishy

Quote:
You really got some realism out of the hats and cymbals, KF.
That would be my man, sammydix.

Breakdown:

sammy
- All vocals
- Lyrics, and core song
- Drums
- Guitars - rhythm and accents
- Clav and synths

kindafishy
- Guitars - lead, rhythm and accents
- Bass
- Mix

both
- Arrangement and production
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
plgrmsprgrs

Especially nice bass work, by the way Kevin!

Kyle
Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #25
sammydix

@Lawrence
so sorry about that dude. i did those just around the time Kevin showed me how to break down the entire kit (before that, all i separated was the kick--lazy).

@pdk
sounds great! drums are definitely bolder and i like that growl on the bass.

@plgrmsprgrs
kinda really freaked me out when i heard his track.

@stratman
hard for me to feel as objective, but if it's tangible, Kevin'll find it.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
pdk

I was reading about how Hogarth mixed and treated the bass for the new Van Halen album.

A little fur can make that bottom end cut through... and it's not even a new approach I don't think. I think Kool has done it over the years now that listen back with an aspiring engineers ears. He definitely drove certain frequencies.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
kindafishy

@Kyle

Thanks so much, man. I love playing the bass. I don't really feel like I'm much of a bass player at all, but I don't care because it's so much fun to play!

@pdk

I really like how you treated the bass in your mix. I'm going to have to look up what you're talking about with Hogarth. I love the newest Van Halen album. It sounds pretty amazing. If that's where your inspiration came from, I needs me some of that.

BTW, if anyone else wants the stems, please feel free to ask.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #28
pdk

It's not where the inspiration came from. I just added these tips to my toolbox.

It's funny: I can remember when I mixed my first song and you were very flattering. It wasn't that great, but you were encouraging. I just keep reading and learning.

This song was very groove oriented. Right along the lines of what I like foundationally. I'm sitting here the last 20 minutes and thinking that I'm about to do 2-3 guitar parts based off of what you've done in lieu of dealing with 10 parts. LOL!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 AM   #29
Lawrence

Quote:
Hey Lawrence. Do you have the stems? Sammy can invite you into the db project if you don't.

The kick isn't compressed or limited. That's just the tone of it. The drums were rendered down very early in the project. I think they are Addictive Drums if I'm not mistaken. I've tried to tease it out a bit with some bumps at a really low 50 Hz and around 4000 Hz to give it some wood. Any more and it starts to distort, so I'm not sure how to get it to come out more. Any suggestions there would help me a lot.

The vocals are really open. Not much compression at all. I did start with a vocal mix and then brought everything else in afterwards. I actually picked that up from you a long time ago! After everything else was brought in, I made a lot of adjustments after the fact though. Lots of automation on the vocals. LOTS! I think that should be in the project on db.
Yes, I have the stems. The drums are a little problematic but I experimented with a few things yesterday, a multiband to tame the hats and cymbals and even experimented with a de-esser a little to re-balance / notch some of it dynamically without using a permanent shelf. I'll post a rough mix later when I get back in the studio but I think the multiband comp will get it done a little better.

The kick drum is *so* much a part of the overall great groove, it really needs to drive the beat, the nice kinda "stuttering" patterns of it.

I think my biggest problem with this (as usual) might be the guitars. I don't work with (or listen to) distorted gtrs much so it's not exactly in my wheelhouse as it were so we'll see if I can avoid them sucking too much.

The bass stem seems to be kinda semi-severely high passed which is a minor problem. I see that a lot with bass stems and I usually ask clients not to do that, to leave all the higher end bass tone in the stem because you need some of it to cut through the mix.

I do think - as collaborative producers - you guys are maybe doing yourselves and the song a tiny injustice by not re-doing / re-producing the drum tracks though. I was - almost - tempted to manually re-create them myself. The drum rhythms are really nice imo, funky, sweet, but the premixed balances aren't that great.

Really nice song though. Props. If this was 32-36-40+ discreet tracks or whatever with all the drums and percussion stemmed this would be so much easier to mix.

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-17-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 AM   #30
monolith

Nice groove, Sammy and KF. IMO the drums need some thump for this tune. Pay extra attention to the rhythm section; it's the heart of this song for sure! A nice, bright horn section would make this song a hit!

It's got that Kool and the Gang vibe. Good stuff!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #31
msore

Quote:
P.S. I'd also maybe reference some Sly Stone or Rick James mixes or similar when remixing this. It has that kind of "funky old school" vibe about it.
What I heard was older school. A crawlin-kingsnake kind of lead guitar like Henry Vestine of 1969 Canned Heat. Growling hippie psycho-delic blues from the country. And vocals/lyrics as smart [both smart-ass and poetic] and greasy [unabashed] as 60s Stones with Jagger going for the social jugular.

Would not change a damn thing.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #32
sammydix

lyrics: [both smart-ass and poetic]
my FAVORITE description. ha!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Lawrence

Just tweaked up the kick a bit, maybe too much, dunno. Tried to give the bass a little more punch but not much luck there. I don't have Satsom so the mix is a obviously different with that and the verb (some of the automation levels changed without Satsom) but it's the same Reaper source project with a few minor tweaks.

http://theaudiocave.com/mixes/DMMR-r.mp3

Interesting methodology you guys used with the verb sends to folder master from children. Nice way to have direct fader control over the verb sends. Like the original mix better except for the disappearing kick drum and the slightly muddy bass. Those "rapid fire" kicks are such an important part of the groove. I tried to bring them out a bit more.

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #34
sammydix

@Lawrence
well, i disagree about the bass, comin thru loud and smooth thru my monitors. love that sound. think the clav could have come up a bit, tho.

@pdk
could you post the link to your version too?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
monolith

Quote:
Just tweaked up the kick a bit, maybe too much, dunno. Tried to give the bass a little more punch but not much luck there. I don't have Satsom so the mix is a obviously different with that and the verb (some of the automation levels changed without Satsom) but it's the same Reaper source project with a few minor tweaks.

Interesting methodology you guys used with the verb sends to folder master from children. Nice way to have direct fader control over the verb sends. Like the original mix better except for the disappearing kick drum and the slightly muddy bass. Those "rapid fire" kicks are such an important part of the groove. I tried to bring them out a bit more.
You have certainly increased the groove factor, Sir!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
@Lawrence
well, i disagree about the bass, comin thru loud and smooth thru my monitors. love that sound. think the clav could have come up a bit, tho.
Yeah, I think the bass is punching through because it's up louder but the EQ/comp settings I tried for "punch" just weren't really working.

As to the clav, yeah, having those missing plugs like Satsom and a few others ... the overall mix balances changed a bit. After not being able to get the original mix aesthetic from scratch I just loaded and tweaked the original project but I didn't readjust most of the automation levels so yeah, some of the levels changed from the original.

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-17-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
kindafishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
Nice groove, Sammy and KF. IMO the drums need some thump for this tune. Pay extra attention to the rhythm section; it's the heart of this song for sure! A nice, bright horn section would make this song a hit!

It's got that Kool and the Gang vibe. Good stuff!!
Kool and the Gang! Awesome. I never would have though that, but now I can picture them on stage doing this with correographed moves! Thanks monolith. I'll try to get the rhythm section tighter. Gotta do something with that kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
What I heard was older school. A crawlin-kingsnake kind of lead guitar like Henry Vestine of 1969 Canned Heat. Growling hippie psycho-delic blues from the country. And vocals/lyrics as smart [both smart-ass and poetic] and greasy [unabashed] as 60s Stones with Jagger going for the social jugular.

Would not change a damn thing.
Thanks msore, very cool to hear that you like it as is. Not much will change, but I do agree with many things being shared. Sammy and I will discuss, but I think beyond getting the kick to come through a little bit more, and some minor bumps in some of the vocals, it's close. Tweaks, I think. We were also given the idea of using a rotovibe kind of thing on the clav so I might play with that a bit. Oh, then there's the leading bass that pdk did on his remix. That's kind of cool too. Maybe beyond a couple tweaks then... but still not much overall.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
You have certainly increased the groove factor, Sir!!
Indeed! Lawrence, what did you do with the bass and the kick to get the kick to come through that much? I'd like to incorporate that.

I use the verb sends like that for the direct fader and pan control, but also so I can insert plugs in between the reverb plug and the sends. EQ or compression, normally, if anything. Nice way, for example, to take a send of a guitar, just have reverb applied to the mids and send that to the opposite side of a hard pan (just as an example of what I've used it for on another mix). I've also used this to introduce a pre-delay (readelay wet only) on an individual instrument before it hits the reverb plugin.

I do think the bass is a couple dB to heavy in this mix (I'm sensing that smack dab in the middle of where we both put it would probably be perfect), and some of the backing vocals are too hot in the final section. When I hear something that was sung kind of softly, I don't like to hear it loud in the mix. The higher register "don't make me run" parts at the end, I think, should be not so loud.

I like how some of the other backing vocals are more up front though.

Sounds really cool. Please share what you did with the bass and the kick. I was considering triggering a second kick from the first to blend another tone in, but if this can be done with the existing kick, I'd like to know how.

Man, this is cool hearing a first hand, slightly different treatment of the mix.

Quote:
Yeah, I think the bass is punching through because it's up louder but the EQ/comp settings I tried for "punch" just weren't really working.

As to the clav, yeah, having those missing plugs like Satsom and a few others ... the overall mix balances changed a bit. After not being able to get the original mix aesthetic from scratch I just loaded and tweaked the original project but I didn't readjust most of the automation levels so yeah, some of the levels changed from the original.

Shit. Just shut the studio down. I'll boot it up later today and post the Reaper project file back to dropbox.

I had to study that session for a good bit to figure out exactly how you guys routed all that, with all the mults. Like I said above, the reverb send to group master thing is a pretty clever way to do that, present a bunch of verb sends right on mixer channels... I like that.

Anyway, I think the original mix is near perfect. That kick drum is pretty busy in some places though and when you can hear it hitting, it (imo) adds to the groove. Bring that out more and tune up the bass a bit and the original mix is (imo) perfect.
Thanks Lawrence. Your take on it doesn't sound that much different, but made some very positive changes. I'd like to get a cross between the two and steal a couple of pdk's ideas too.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #38
Lawrence

Quote:
Indeed! Lawrence, what did you do with the bass and the kick to get the kick to come through that much? I'd like to incorporate that.
Kinda going from memory but...

I think a high shelf gain on the kick and then cut away some of the higher freqs I actually didn't like. Don't recall the exact settings. I think I also made a notch down low but I'd have to actually look to remember. I tweaked the compressor release time (RComp) on the kick to let a certain amount of it's "woofy / verby after-the-transient-decay-sound" come through, but not too much.

When I get back in the studio later I'll post the EQ/comp settings for the kick and bass, some of the EQ was bordering on extreme... especially on the bass which sounded horrid (noisy as hell) in solo the way I EQ'ed it. The rest of the music masked the "horrid" part though.

Quote:
I use the verb sends like that for the direct fader and pan control, but also so I can insert plugs in between the reverb plug and the sends. EQ or compression, normally, if anything. Nice way, for example, to take a send of a guitar, just have reverb applied to the mids and send that to the opposite side of a hard pan (just as an example of what I've used it for on another mix). I've also used this to introduce a pre-delay (readelay wet only) on an individual instrument before it hits the reverb plugin.
Yeah. I like that method. I ... will ... steal ... it.

Quote:
I do think the bass is a couple dB to heavy in this mix ..
It is. I was trying to dial in more "punch" with a compressor so I could pull the level back a bit and settle the bass back into the track more, but as I said in the post with the mix link, I couldn't quite get there so yeah, the level is up a bit higher than it should be.

I'm (and I'll put a really big "mmv" on this one) a believer in not low passing electric bass during recording unless the producer knows exactly what he's doing. What sometimes happens (if you go too far with the low pass) is later on you need some of those mid to high frequencies to make it cut through (after you've added a bunch more tracks) and if those frequencies aren't there, you're kinda screwed.

Much easier to low pass a bass in the mix stage than try to reclaim some of the high-mids that simply aren't there anymore.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #39
Lawrence

Here's the kick drum chain... RenEQ, RComp, and Density comp to kind tighten it up a bit more. The EQ settings there were done by ear
mostly, just kinda sweeping around until I heard something I kinda liked.

Here's the bass chain... RComp, REQ, Thrillseeker for a liitle final tightening. Looks like hell doesn't it? I had to go that far with the shelf to
try to bring out some of the bass and in solo the horrid S/N ratio from that is pretty evident. As with the other, those EQ curves are mostly by ear.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #40
shemp

funky groove fellas!! nice job!
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote